16' SS want to replace flooring with aluminum

sguerrero

Cadet
Well it's been a season with my new old boat, and I want to make some changes. I initially converted to a center console with a fishing platform up front, I like the layout but I don't like the floor, too much give. I want to switch over to aluminum, but I can't seem to find a good reference on what thickness would be best. I'm thinking diamondtred, and then laying down some awlgrip.

Has anyone done this and if so how is the flex in the floor?

I'm also thinking of building a platform that goes up over the motor in the rear for another fish platform, similar to a flats boat. Has anyone done this?

Here is my initial rebuild: http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/let-fun-begin-just-bought-70-super-sport-509303.html

Thanks in advance for any info.

BonairII

Commander
Re: 16' SS want to replace flooring with aluminum

I used 3/4 ply in my SS...and it's solid as a rock. If you use diamond tread, you'll probably need to put ply under it anyway. There's a resto somewhere here where diamond plate was used.

Check out my resto(see link in my sig). I built a casting platform over my splash well. It's very solid. It's not finished yet, but we used it last season and it worked very well for us.

sguerrero

Cadet
Re: 16' SS want to replace flooring with aluminum

Perfect, .125 tread is what they used.

Thanks so much!! I remember that build, liked the radio they used too.

Sg