Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Really didnt take any as far as install goes it is really straight forward. I didnt bother gps but it feels like i may have lost some top end, (though it may only feel that way because it rode so much smoother) without trim tabs I could bareley control the boat with just me in it. Yesterday I ended up with about 5 hours all by myself and I am happy to say I cruised the boat by myseld for about 3 and a half by myself. As far as fuel efficiency is concerned well I am rinning a 150 hp outboard I burned about 18 gallons, running at all different throttle speeds. The boat loved to cruise at half throttle. At half throttle my estimated cruise speed just guessing is right at 32-34 mph and is smooth as silk across 8" to 1 foot chop. She does get tossed side to side a bit in heavy wake but its a light weight boat. The smart tabs do not help listing at low speeds at all. I am the lightest of my passengers at 170 lbs average passenger is anywhere from 210 to the heaviest at 325. The long of the short is the boat is not complete, and I have until 02/01 to complete her as we are having some life changes that will make it extremely difficult to impossible to complete at that point. The unfortunate down side though is it is summer and while not complete, she is legal and safe, and I am having WAY to much fun using her.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah man, that's great news Sig! I'm glad you went with the Nauticus, I have nothing but praise for their tabs. I didn't even get my Chief in the water without the tabs knowing what the stern heavy beast would be like. Nothing like a stable boat that's always under control. :thumb:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Yep feels great like I said yesterday I cruised just to enjoy the scenery for 3-3.5 hours and just had a ball.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Well guys its been a little while, truthfully its because I have been enjoying the Tinny rather than working on it. (Even though there is tons of work to be done).

So here is the deal I have identified a few potential problems while enjoying her, and started rectifying them while I still have (somewhat easy access to the stern).

I am also making a few modifications as well.

Today, I installed 2 new bilge pumps one hooked off of the switch and one hooked on a float switch (for some reason the old one just decided to crap out) Pretty sure it was original to the boat so I am not surprised. She is really stern heavy so it is possible for me to take water into the splashwell and into the bilge from there. So I feel a lot more comfortable having the pump there and working. (Yes I know Splashwell drain yadda yadda). Not to mention last week we got caught up in a pop up rain shower so she got wet and again having the pumps makes me much more comfortable.

Looking earlier in the thread you can see I cheated on the electrical and bought an entirely premade harness on ebay. The wiring is of high quality (tinned marine grade wire), however the fuse bar and ground buss sucked and the blade connectors wiggled so I could be cruising down the lake and hit a wave just enough to rattle the glass fuses loose and I would all of a sudden lose radio or lights or the bilge. I decided to rectify that as well.

I cut all of the electrical ends today and replaced them all with marine grade heat shrink ring connectors and I installed this.

The quality is awesome I spent like $30 and it was worth every penny.

I don't usually run at night either but we were having so much fun the other day we were out just a little later than I anticipated as well so I decided to go ahead and wire the backlighting on the gauges as well.

The unfortunate news is due to life circumstances I won't be boating for the next two weekends :( BUT that will give me more time to work on the finish work.

Watermann

Looking good Sig. Not enough can be said about peace of mind... or a powerful boat :thumb:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Race Ya ;) :lol:

Though if The Silver Lining ever makes it that far West I would give anything to run her next to your chief. That is one slick boat.

Watermann

:D better yet would be a bunch of our restored SC's all on the water at the same place and time!

Last edited:

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sig, have you considered a Stingray or Doel Fin tail for the outdrive? My first boat was a Cobia Centaur, 165 hp Mercruiser. Out of the hole, it was like a rocket launch, straight up until she got on plane. At low speed, bow high, mushy handling. I got a Stingray tail and it worked great. Right up on plane at lower rpm's, better handling and trim at speed, and better handling through turns at speed. I'll probably never have another i/o, but if I did, I'd use a stingray tail. I have one on my 18' Grumman Fish & Ski, same results.

tjakobic

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sig, how many gallons of resin did it take to do your floor? I have the same boat and plan on putting two coats on the bottom and one coat on top put wet out fiberglass on top.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Hey guys it has been a while. Life gets in the way between fixing cars and life the Super Sport has been pushed to the back burner. Not to mention I have still been aggravated by the forum issues. Had some new additions to the Starmada as well.

Anyways The Silver Lining has been neglected all winter (and by neglected I don't mean left in a field to rot more so just been parked in the garage untouched). Anyways I pulled her out of the garage today and put her back in the shop we have work to do before final splash and a ton of it. She is dusty and dirty and grimy but still perfectly intact :) A quick vacuum of the interior helped a ton and I will wash her before this weekend.

Anyways at the end of last season my trailer jack went bye bye. So I replaced it today, I love the trailer I have under her, but it sure is FUGLY I will handle that with time remember this tandem axle is the 4th trailer under this boat so I am not overly excited about another trailer resto, but I have already done bearings, lights, and Jack and winch, tires are in great shape. It tows really well and handles the off balance weight issue fantastically I can not stress enough the niceness of a tandem axle trailer.

Last year I purchased all new WEFCO 0101G rub rail for the boat I never installed for a few reasons one I got lazy, and two I remembered how brutally horrific it was pulling the original factory rub rail. Anyways I finally installed it for anyone doing a resto it was about $135 shipped and it is worth every penny, and it installed fantastically easy.

I remembered to take pics because I remember how brutal the mob can be.

New additions.

Rubrail.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Congrats on all that ^^^

Some improvements lately are greatly improving forum operation so hopefully most of the problems are behind us....

Welcome back. Any chance you're free @May 16 weekend? Plan to go to boat and motor show @ Louisville, Tn that weekend. Its far side of Maryville from you i think.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Is that Mother's Day weekend? I think my oldest has a soccer tournament in Ktown we might be able to slip down there for a bit. Unless you may wanna disappear and see what riding in a muscle boat it like. :lol:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Yes, congrats on all that! The kids are cute as all and the rub rail looks great!

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Sig good to see you back and congrats on the new additions to the family.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow two adorable additions to the family. Congrats! Nice to see you back. The rub rail looks good too.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Bethany and Michael are the newest tinheads in training. Already have Dad wrapped around their little finger. Unfortunately I need 2 more boats now though. One for to pass down to each kid.

Watermann

Good on ya Sig, you been a busy boy! :D You should be proud of your accomplishments, including the SS. ;)

That's the same RR I put on my Chief too, a perfect replacement.

SigSaurP229

Commander
I did accomplish something special with the SS, the credit for the other two tin heads mainly falls to my wife she did all the hard work on that one.

I honestly can't believe I waited so long to install the rub rail though, I guess because when I removed the original it was February and all the time in the field had expanded and contracted the original rub rail so much it took me almost 4 hours to remove the original stuff in pieces. This stuff both sides installed in about 20 minutes, BUT it wasn't stiff and brittle like the original was.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Congrats on the new additions!! I have two toddlers at home and can completely relate to the tin interruptions. Couldn't tell you how often I sneak off to the garage while everyone else is asleep to get a little work done. Baby steps:)

Rubrail looks great too!

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks Sig, I just pulled the damaged rubrail out of my 18 V5 and was thinking about replacing it. Even if it wasn't damaged it is blue in color and won't match the new color scheme, so I ordered 45 feet this morning.