Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

Tnstratofam

Commander
Chem I think you may be winning the who has the coolest toys on their boat contest. I really like the TM install. It looks like it will make your Chief an even better fishing machine. I'm gonna have to look into a micro start device like that one as well. Bummer about your ride. Do you have another tow vehicle for the Chief? Hope you and yours have a great Memorial Day.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Chem I think you may be winning the who has the coolest toys on their boat contest. I really like the TM install. It looks like it will make your Chief an even better fishing machine. I'm gonna have to look into a micro start device like that one as well. Bummer about your ride. Do you have another tow vehicle for the Chief? Hope you and yours have a great Memorial Day.

Hey instrato, thanks for looking! I tow with a 4.0 Cherokee xj...I did use the Subaru for a season with a lighter trailer and more stripped down Chief, but I don't recommend it and definitely wouldn't try it now. The power supply is a great safety and convenience item. iboats has this one for the same price I paid: http://www.iboats.com/Lightning-Start-Lithium-Jump-Starter-Power-Source/dm/view_id.1248253

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
Hey instrato, thanks for looking! I tow with a 4.0 Cherokee xj...

you don't say...
IMG_20141012_180243_991_zpsevytvpon.jpg

The shortbed has since been swapped for a longbed.
126K miles, no rust.
Full restoration project. buckets, D44, metric tonne stuff, AX-15.

Once I get the wife's boat done that is ;)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
you don't say...
IMG_20141012_180243_991_zpsevytvpon.jpg

The shortbed has since been swapped for a longbed.
126K miles, no rust.
Full restoration project. buckets, D44, metric tonne stuff, AX-15.

Once I get the wife's boat done that is ;)

That's a sweet Comanche, ns! Mine's a stock '99 with NP 242, AW4, Chrysler 8.25/ Dana 30 axles. Beings in the salt belt hasn't done it any favors, but I try to keep up with the rot best I can (sheet aluminum, self tappers and rattle cans :facepalm:). I love this vehicle for its simplicity and reliability. It's a good tow rig, too, even though the brakes are, um, barely adequate.

That's a sweet boat, too!

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
My wife drives an 01, my winter beater is a 97. The previous Comanche was a 87, then that 90, an now there's a rust free 88 longbed in the driveway. I have a soft spot for the MJ chassis. It's the best small pickup ever built.
I have a parts hoarding issue, so there's a good amount of dumb rare MJ stuff in my basement.

There were a couple of trail rigs and parts vehicles in there too. I have a problem.

Luckily the trailer that came with the boat is nice. It's got a 5K axle and surge brakes. Amazingly they work, I had to stop and lock them out before backing into the driveway.
The boat itself is a 22' Sylvan Offshore outboard. It's a close cousin to the starcraft hulls, which is why I'm hanging out in the starmada's forum.
It's basically a 22' Islander with a different top.

I kind of jumped into first time boat ownership in a big way.

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Believe me, I'm already sort of planning a trip to the inland southern US to find a rust free 97-99 (pre 0331 head) xj. It's an awesome vehicle with an insane aftermarket parts catalogue and an equally staggering amount of internet info.

You picked a great first boat. I think it is an Islander with a different name, but I may be mistaken. I believe they were assembled in the same plant. Either way, enjoy! I think Sylvans are technically allowed here :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Starcraft makes the Sylvan and the Smokercraft line of boats. They're all the same just different decals is all. Nice looking Offshore!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That would be worth a call to set up a look-see, Chem. :rolleyes:

I like that the condition is "salvage", meaning no title. Have you looked outside?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
That would be worth a call to set up a look-see, Chem. :rolleyes:

I like that the condition is "salvage", meaning no title. Have you looked outside?

Yep, I was working on her all evening :lol:. I think it was just a google image search. $2000?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thats Crazy! Ive seen it on Craigslist and thought to myself, "Dang that old heap looks familiar!!" :lol: then it hit me...your tin's doppelganger!!! :eek: :lol:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
is it possible he has one that looks similar but cant get a good picture and just used yours for reference????

bob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
is it possible he has one that looks similar but cant get a good picture and just used yours for reference????

bob

It would be tough to find someone nowadays who doesn't have a phone or a camera. I would believe it to be more likely that a Leprechaun is using the cabin to hide his gold and a unicorn powers the boat during midnight rides. :lol: Total scammer trying to get someone to bite on something he doesn't own.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It would be tough to find someone nowadays who doesn't have a phone or a camera. I would believe it to be more likely that a Leprechaun is using the cabin to hide his gold and a unicorn powers the boat during midnight rides. :lol: Total scammer trying to get someone to bite on something he doesn't own.

:lol:

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
Starcraft makes the Sylvan and the Smokercraft line of boats. They're all the same just different decals is all. Nice looking Offshore!
For sure, there's smokercraft tags on all of the interior cushions. Islanders seem to have a different side piece after the helm than this, but it is definitely an islander hull.

I may have to move my thread over here. No one's posted in the Sylvan forum in months.

nsjames

Seaman Apprentice
Believe me, I'm already sort of planning a trip to the inland southern US to find a rust free 97-99 (pre 0331 head) xj. It's an awesome vehicle with an insane aftermarket parts catalogue and an equally staggering amount of internet info.

You picked a great first boat. I think it is an Islander with a different name, but I may be mistaken. I believe they were assembled in the same plant. Either way, enjoy! I think Sylvans are technically allowed here :D
When that time comes send me a PM.
I'm fully plugged in to that southern XJ hoarding network.
Don't be scared of the 0331 head either. The TUPY castings that fix the problem can be had reman for like $300.
If the PO hasn't wasted the lower end with coolant it's a great way to pick up a cheap XJ that's an easy fix.