Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm glad that trailer breakage worked out... could've been worse. (Been there done that!) BoatUS is worth every penny!

Your chief has to weigh in close to 3K. I've not weighed my 21 footer, but I suspect loaded weight to be around 3500 pounds. I wonder if TSC might have a heavier axle for you to slide under your trailer.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
3000 you really think so? I was thinking Chem's Chief with the small OB and being 18' would maybe loaded tip in at 2000. Heck that 19' cuddy water logged nasty glasser was only 2000 when I dumped it and relieving it of the motor and outdrive only dropped 800. With the tongue weight that would make a 3500# axle almost double what it needs.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys. I think I'm at 2000#s with the trailer frame. Those two OB's only weigh a little over 300. New hull weight was like 1000#s. TS has what I'll need cheap. The spindle on mine is wrecked. I just need to find beefier springs so I can go with larger diameter wheels. It may be easier to get another longer trailer.

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Wow Chem, major disaster averted there. A lot of folks take bearings for granted and pay the price. I have seen numerous trailers alongside the roads with a jack under the axle. Always best to inspect and repack them every year. Thoroughly check out the cage on the bearing, if it is sloppy toss it and replace. Bearing are a lot cheaper to replace than a roadside repair or tore up spindle. I keep close attention to mine as it is a 120 mile round trip every time I hit the water and I try to go every weekend.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
3000 you really think so? I was thinking Chem's Chief with the small OB and being 18' would maybe loaded tip in at 2000. Heck that 19' cuddy water logged nasty glasser was only 2000 when I dumped it and relieving it of the motor and outdrive only dropped 800. With the tongue weight that would make a 3500# axle almost double what it needs.

You're probably right H20. I wasn't thinking about a light outboard compared to my 600 pound chevy. I'm glad to have a dual axle trailer with my 21' chief... that sucker is heavier than I thought it would be.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Close call Chem! :eek: our tinnies are right at the 2k/3.5k threshold.

I upsized to a 3500# axle (along with spindle/hubs & 5-lug tires)...but size the springs/suspension to the weight of the actual boat; too stiff and that awesome tinnie is going to take a beating. :)

If you can't get anything from TSC (or northern tool) that fits, I worked with a company out of Sarasota, florida...awesome guys; i'll pm you the # if needed.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Close call Chem! :eek: our tinnies are right at the 2k/3.5k threshold.

I upsized to a 3500# axle (along with spindle/hubs & 5-lug tires)...but size the springs/suspension to the weight of the actual boat; too stiff and that awesome tinnie is going to take a beating. :)

If you can't get anything from TSC (or northern tool) that fits, I worked with a company out of Sarasota, florida...awesome guys; i'll pm you the # if needed.

Thanks CC. Now that we're past October 1st, I can launch the boat right down the street as the gate attendants are done for the season and us pass-less cheapskates can go right into Burlington harbor. So I inspected the spindle, filed a tiny burr off, and put a new bearing and bearing buddies on both hubs. I know a lot of people don't like the buddies, but they should at least keep water out. I'll likely upgrade to a bigger trailer over the winter. Rock bottom prices seem to hit just before the holidays here.

64osby

Admiral
At the end of the vid there's a HUGE piece of tin (it's not steel 'cause it wasn't painted), a NOAA sonar boat. I'm thinking it's over 50', and it's a big catamaran dragging sonar equipment to map the lake. Pretty cool.

vAvNcMI.jpg

It's Clive Cussler. :faint2:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
All this talk from me about trailers and it turns out you don't even need one :eek:.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
But how do they launch in the Spring? Won't the truck flood? :eek: LOL

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I have a legit question here, but first, here's another vid of that dude with a different little tinny here on the lake:

My question, specifically for this subforum: who has Smart Tabs, and who can tell me about their performance is rough(ish) water...2'-3'ers, stacked up by the wind? I launch close to home on the VT side of lake Champlain (eastern shore), and, as we all know, the wind is rarely out of the east. The prevailing southwest winds in the fall and winter here make it tough to brave the chop to get over to the calmer NY side. I usually have to slow down to about 15 mph to avoid pounding myself to pieces, and this is just under planing speed for the boat. If I put the right smart tabs on the transom, would I be on plane at that speed? It will normally stay up at 17 mph, but 2'+ seas will just knock it down, and then I'm plowing and wasting fuel.

I did do some web research, but it's not easy finding reviews of these on smaller aluminum boats. I obviously don't want to waste my money if these won't accomplish the slower planing speed thing.

Thanks to any and all who have input on this!

PS: Are they safe in big following seas?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ice breaker tinny! :lol:

As I believe you know I have tabs on my Chief, the Nauticus smart tabs to be exact from here at iboats, the factory blemish ones were priced right at 100. The main reason I bought them and installed before I even splashed her was for the added weight of the motor upgrade. I've had her out in some good chop on a big lake where lots of boats are creating nasty waves along with the wind. Since we have pretty much the same boat I can say they would perform about the same. My slog speed in 2 to 3 foot waves is around 20 to 22 MPH but that could be because of my Chief being heavier with the 4.3 L and the 35 gal mid ship fuel tank. The tabs will pop you up on a plane at very low speed and since your Chief is so much lighter in the stern I would think at a lower speed than me which is right at about 18 MPH. I can't believe how stable they make the boat too as it has very little roll at all with the tabs. For the price it's worth a shot to see if they do what you want but I would bet that you'll be flat out amazed and wonder why you didn't get them sooner.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, Watermann! I didn't realize how cheap they are now...wow. Yeah, I'll be ordering a pair. In my research I've found that really the only naysayers are those who have hydraulic tabs and have never used the smart tabs...everyone who has them loves them. Thanks again.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Good morning, guys. I'm looking for some tips on reinforcing the gunwales on my Chief. I have tracks on them now, which provide great fore/aft stability, but I'm getting flex inboard and out with the riggers deployed. They're 4' booms, so lots of leverage. I'd like to slide a couple of single pieces of white oak under the gunwales, bolted on the perimeter, and have the tracks through-bolted down the center. The problem I have is the rubrail bolts that stick out into that space. Has anyone been able to get a dremel grinder in there to cut them down to the nut?

Other options?

Thanks! Hope y'all are getting spring soon.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Good morning, guys. I'm looking for some tips on reinforcing the gunwales on my Chief. I have tracks on them now, which provide great fore/aft stability, but I'm getting flex inboard and out with the riggers deployed. They're 4' booms, so lots of leverage. I'd like to slide a couple of single pieces of white oak under the gunwales, bolted on the perimeter, and have the tracks through-bolted down the center. The problem I have is the rubrail bolts that stick out into that space. Has anyone been able to get a dremel grinder in there to cut them down to the nut?

Other options?

Thanks! Hope y'all are getting spring soon.

Hey Chem!

Will 3/16" aluminum stock fit under those bolts? I figure the backing-nut has to clear it. It can be installed in sections as well.