Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Cool, I'll hit the auto parts store tomorrow for some material. I'll let you know how it works out. Could be a handy skill for us antique engine users!

dozerII

Admiral
Some large radiator shops carry a selection of gasket material on rolls for doing large rad header plates, just another option for material.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some large radiator shops carry a selection of gasket material on rolls for doing large rad header plates, just another option for material.

That's a good one, Doz. Their material should be very similar to the OEM exhaust plate gaskets and hold up to the watery exhaust.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I found a sheet of identical width gasket material, fuel and water resistant. Also picked up a $5 set of hobby blades, and a can of high temp gasket sealant. They're very far from perfect, but I'm almost positive that they'll work. Cutting the bolt holes was a pain, but easy other than that. A properly sized hole puncher would make quick work of these for any application.

7O4WKrr.jpg

EDIT: The bottom one ^^ is a factory gasket that I had for some reason...you know, the one that looks all pretty.

I also laid a straight edge on each of the adapters, the cover, and the head. No warping at all, and the pistons and rings look brand new. I hope to not do this job again on this engine. I dropped the lower cowling, but I still had to drill three 5/8" holes in the cowling to access the lower bolts on the manifold. I'll get some rubber plugs for those. Should be able to button it back up and fire it tomorrow after work.

Cheers!

Last edited:

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those look great Chem.

I should've told you about using a spent rifle cartrige for making the bolt holes.

GA_Boater

Chem - You should have claimed the bottom one as yours, too. As I scrolled down and saw it, I thought, wow - he did some Dyn-O-Mite work. Then you spilled the beans. LOL The top ones look real good, appear factory in the pic to me.

In a pinch I've used small sockets to cut the holes, but it's more blunt force than cutting. Copper tubing works too, but has a short life. Great tip on the cartridges, CJ.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
So I put everything back together, and it started on the first crank. Good news. However, I never re-torqued the manifold cover bolts after getting it hot. Big oversight. I got water in the lower cylinder, and stranded me out on the lake yesterday. The lightwin got me home, slowly but surely. When I did go to re-torque, I snapped a bolt. So I'll be doing this again I guess.

The old Johnson triple has been a pretty good engine for me, but, as it is 32 years old now, some parts are getting hard to find or expensive at this point. Which got me to thinking that a used 4 stroke or 2 stroke DI engine (a bunch of brands sell them now) might be money well spent. No carbs, change the oil every hundred hours (or not at all with the DI's), quiet, way more efficient. Considering the price of gasoline, it might actually pay for itself over several years of use. Then I could ditch the loud, smokey kicker, too...it's not like I'm going offshore or anything, and most of the newer engines have idle adjustment for slow trolling, plus I pay for boatUS every year. So, yeah, that's where I'm at. Just thinking out loud about ways to get rid of money that I don't have! I obviously can't be picky about brands, as I'd be at the mercy of the CL used market, but I think I can make this work. Cheers guys!

If anyone here in SC land is running a newer 4 stroke or DI, I'd love to hear how it performs for you, especially if you do any slow trolling with it (1.8-2.8 mph).

EDIT: I forgot to add the fact that I work 50 hours a week just about all year, so I'm kind of finding less time to be a hack marine mechanic. Turn the key and go sounds real good.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey I could help you out with a I/O conversion :rolleyes: Hey there's no smoke, smooth as butter sterndrive and no big ugly in the way of the view of the wake! :lol:

Ok, I guess not a very cheap and easy plan. Yeah old isn't always cheap when it comes to repairs using obsolete parts. One of my least favorite things to do is torque SS bolts into AL, I'm always expecting a disaster. SS has a big problem with galling if the bolts aren't cleaned up like new.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, that was another mistake on my part. The thread likely had some gunk on it.

I know this is crazy talk, but Honda has pretty attractive finance rates on their new OB's. You guys need to tell me what a great idea this is while I attempt to rationalize this insanity.

GA_Boater

You meet the nicest people on a Honda. Or in front of a Honda. Maybe a Honda will make you likeable? :lol:

I know exactly what you're thinking. You have a gorgeous rebuild and you don't want to use BoatUS , the kicker or a friendly boater to get you back to the dock. Does Evinrude or Merc have any financing deals on the Etec/Optimax motors. But a Honda 5 year warranty and 1.99% sounds good.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
GA, Honda's the only company that does in-house financing, likely because they're so huge. This would likely be a winter/spring purchase if I do it. For now I'll just get the 2 stroke running again if I can...hopefully that bolt won't be a huge issue.

jbcurt00

Staff member
How much inventory are your local Honda dealers carrying?If he's got lots of inventory, you might dig in & find 1 w/ a left over from last season or this winter buy a late 2013/early 2014 leftover?

Don't forget, if you can get the Johnson OB sorted out before the start of the spring season, you'll help fund the new OB w/ sale of the old ;)

AND find a CHEAP little tinny w/out an OB, drag it home after Thanksgiving, clean it up, drop your kicker on it and sell it in early spring, as 'turn key'.

See right outta the gate, 2 easy to accomplish, new OB funding stream aides :cool: :watermelon:

The Starmada: We might not be the voice of reason, but we definitely like having a hand in spending other people's money............

GA_Boater

I guess Honda is big enough to have their own finance company. I did look around a little and the Honda promo is about the best one going right now. Get that bolt out so you have time to save some money. :smile: I wonder if they have off season promotions? Over the winter might be the best time. Spring might take months to get the boat rigged - I believe most warranties require dealer rigging.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Great tips, guys. I'll see what the Honda dealer has in stock from this model year if anything. Tohatsu seems to be the best bang for the buck...a 75hp tldi can be purchased and rigged for a little over $7K, and they're super reliable, as their lineage is commercial fishing in Japan. Basically a low pressure version of the E-tec system, and the same as Merc's.

Just cogitating for now, and I'll see if I can make it work.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think somebody must have hijacked my account when I left it logged in or something, 'cause there's all this nonsense about a "new four stroke" and "financing an outboard." Crazy stuff. Maybe it was somebody with no debt and a willingness to add another monthly payment to the budget. :crazy:

Yeah, so instead of doing something really dumb like that ^^^, I spent a whole bunch of evenings after work and my days off basically tearing the old OMC apart. Ignition is good, PSI is 130, 135, 140 top to bottom, and while I was doing the semi-deep surgery I threw in new fuel lines, base gasket, air silencer gaskets (the old ones were leaking fuel), a new inner exhaust plate, all new gaskets on those plates, new t-stat and gasket, and a new head gasket for good measure, even though it's only a couple of years old. Carbs are functioning well...I run 'em out every time I use it. I haven't run it in the water yet, but it's as close to running perfect as it's gonna get for a 32 year old engine. Maybe it'll go another 32 fresh water years. We'll see.

I thought on the power situation for a few days, and it breaks down like this: $7-10K buys a lot of gas and a nice used four stroke kicker. I've got my eye on a pristine Yamaha T8 a couple of miles down the road.

Water test and laker fishing tomorrow. Cheers guys.

GA_Boater

Hey Chem - I'll see if Admin can figure out who hacked your account. We'll throw his butt out on his ear. :eek: :lol:

If you have her running good and reliably, get the the kicker and try to burn up the rest of the gas money. :smile:

jbcurt00

Staff member
welcome back to reality ;)

All sounds great ^^^

Good luck tomorrow

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah guys, those new engines are awesome and everything, but it's simple math and economics 101. They're for offshore guys and those who can afford it. And the fuel savings isn't as much as you'd expect comparing similar HP. I'm totally cool with it. And I'm getting to know this machine pretty well now!