Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
That's a sad picture Chem. No Christmas fishing trip this year I guess. My Chief would have been put away now here in Maine, even though we still have open water. It is still at the canvas shop getting the new enclosure fine tuned. At this rate, when it is finished I will have to plow a spot to store it in the yard.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I find it sad when you cover it. I put mine in the garage so I don't need to cover it and I can work on it when I get the itch. I'm lucky that it fits inside but if you've read my thread you'll see that it just sits in the garage until spring when it's warm enough to work on. It is still nice going down stairs and seeing her there. potential energy if you will. :D If I had to cover and leave outside I wouldn't like it. Worrying about tree limbs, too much snow on the cover, and varmints would fill my winter months.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey chem I was just trolling through your pages and I was thinking a lot of your photos look like lake Champlain. I saw one that was in the Adirondacks, I'm in Vermont. I have a glasses right now but I'm restoring an old islander, maybe when I get it done, hopefully next summer, we can get together with our old tin boats on the lake.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It is Champlain. I launch out of Burlington usually, but occasionally Converse Bay. Good luck with your project and maybe I'll see you out there. Heading up to Stave/Providence area today.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks man. Good deal but it's a single cylinder...they vibrate pretty bad as trolling kickers.

I've got a pair of old Hondas now, one to use and one for parts, so I'm good. Thanks again.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
From my local paper...this happened down the street from me. There was a big tournament this weekend and this boat was likely headed home. Not sure what happened.

BXvdMbz.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Whatever happened it was enough to rip the winch tower off and require a crane:

ei42SwW.jpg

Ca8kw4X.jpg

TjVQNSQ.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah, I hope they had comprehensive insurance on that boat. I don't believe anyone was hurt.

Edit: cops now saying the car hit the trailer head on and decoupled it, then the boat slid off.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Probably had their phone in hand... I would imagine that boat is a total loss but would be a great parts source.

Decker83

Commander
Glad it was the trailer they hit head on and not the tow vehicle. That looks really bad, but could have been a lot worse..
You just never know what's going to happen.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How do you hit a trailer head on and miss the tow vehicle in front of the trailer? :confused:

Looks like the keel is ground off and converted the hull into new V5 beer cans. :eek:

Best thing is no injuries.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Judging from the picture with the car and trailer I would say that the car hit the trailer a couple feet in front of the left side wheels, right where the frame begins to curve.
I'm guessing either the car or trailer crossed the center line. Crappy deal either way, glad all are ok.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
See the speed limit sign there it's a 25 MPH zone and a straight section of roadway, no reason for that crash. By the final resting point of the trailer, boat, debris field and car I would say that the car crossed the center line.

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man that is a real bummer. I'm glad no one gr hurt. Can't see 25mph doing that much damge but you never know

Chem did you get out for the lci?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
See the speed limit sign there it's a 25 MPH zone and a straight section of roadway, no reason for that crash. By the final resting point of the trailer, boat, debris field and car I would say that the car crossed the center line.

It's 25 mph city-wide, but cars blow past my house going 45 all the time. I'm sure that car was speeding and not looking at the road. Hits trailer, trailer digs into asphalt with tongue, boat and winch post keep going. Bye bye nice islander hardtop.

Man that is a real bummer. I'm glad no one gr hurt. Can't see 25mph doing that much damge but you never know

Chem did you get out for the lci?

Nah, I get out on the water to relax and enjoy myself, not to fight with bass boats and 5' waves in that wind.

Yourself?

Ejipner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't go near that lake on fathers day weekend. To many people out there. I went to Bristol pond with my brother and father.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Ha, yeah, it's a mess on those busy weekends. Sailboats, weekend warriors, huge cruisers, and hundreds of fishing boats. The LCI results were pretty underwhelming, too. That wind was nuts.