1959 Starcraft 16' Super Constellation - Winner 2016 Starmada SOTY Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
100_3616.jpg100_4022.jpgI bought this 1959 Starcraft Super-Constelation a couple of years ago and am trying to get psyched up about tearing into it. The oak gunnells and seats are totally rotted but the rest of the old girl is rock solid and not one leak, not one drop when I put her in the pond to see how smart:facepalm: I was to bring her home. I am going to try to post a couple pictures. I have been a member for a while, but have never posted. anyway, am anxious to share info. I have searched all the Starcraft literature and this particular boat is not mentioned. I want to restore as close to original as possible. Everthing that is blue was originally a seafoam green. The wooden seats were Mahogany I believe. I am fairly certain of the year but any info and comments would be gratly apreciated!:)

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1959 Starcraft - About to start restoration

For as old as it is, that boat looks to be in great shape! She should clean up real nice and make a beautiful restoration.

If you like to work with your hands and don't mind getting dirty, you're going to like boat restoring. It's very rewarding when you finish and have a nice boat that people compliment you on.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Since you couldn't find much info about the Super-Constelation, post up some info about her:
Length
Beam
Transom height
Transom width

How you ID'd that it was a 1959 SC Sup-Con, etc... (from reg/title paperwork?)

And for sure as many pix as you can. Might help someone else ID their's later.........

Really great looking boat! Resto back to very similar to original? What's the motor plan? Welcome to the iboats dry dock!

ssdale

Thanks for the encouragment! Fixing things up is a passion of mine and not afraid of getting dirty,although greasy is not my favorite thing. The title calls it a 1959 Starcraft and the original placard is on the hull. Its 16 feet from bow to transom and about 54inches wide at beam. The transom is rock solide and 16inches. The trailer I dragged it 65 miles home on was pathetically tiny for the boat. The Shorelander trailer in the photo, a little bit the other extreme, was FREE:D from from my brother-in-law. I have a nice set of original chrome hubcaps and with some tlc and matching paint should not detract too much from the boat when finished. (i'm trying to convince myself, just keep repeating"it was free"!:))

I bought a non running 1960 Evinrude Lark II that looks really nice original condition. The guy collected them and it has just been setting for over 20 years and he never tried to start it. He said the guy he bought it from said it was in top shape at that time. I sprayed a bunch of wd-40 into the spark plug holes and checked the compression. 135 psi on both cylinders. Thats as far as I've gotten with it. I will post a pic as soon as I have a chance.

This will be my second aluminum boat restoration. Since I have taken the plunge and learned to post pics, I may try to post photos of it in the "completed projects" forum?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Start a thread @ the finished boat. Concise, similar to what's in that thread now. Then send a PM to a MOD & asked to be added to the Completed Projects.

You have to be added to the Completed Projects.

If you want to do 2 before & 2 after pix, on a completed project, you can post it to the Pending Gallery thread...

If it is also an Starcraft, you can post the thread in the SC owner's group forum. And check out Jas' SC Resto thread listed at the beginning of the forum. Ask him to add this SC & if the other tinny's and SC make sure to send him a link for both threads. He'll add you to the list............

64osby

Admiral

I have searched all the Starcraft literature and this particular boat is not mentioned. I want to restore as close to original as possible. :)

The 1958 literature shows a pic and a small description. No wind shield on it though.

Looks like a great little boat. Now that you posted you have to rebuild or the angry mob will chase you down. :yell::fear:

Good luck on the project.:encouragement:

ssdale

Thanks jbcurt for the tips on how to post to completed projects. Would like to share as much as possible as my first resto was an aluminum 1965 Cherokee Playboy made by KcKenzie Mfg. in Tennesee. I have it paired up to a 1965 Mercury 500.Will try to work on soon with lots of pics. Also have a brochure on McKenzie that is not in iboat gallery. Not sure how to post that as it is large:eek:

CH]The 1959 Starcraft is equipped with a cabled anchor system that leads to the big weight on the point of the bow. If anyone has seen one of these before, I would like to get as much info as I can. The po really made a big deal out of it and I think it is pretty neat. Or is this a common setup?:100_4223.jpg

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I love these early Starcrafts that had wood for the gunwales, so cool! You gotta bring em back! She'll be a sweet runabout again someday:joyous:

ssdale

100_4074.jpg100_4072.jpg100_4073.jpg:)Took a few pics of the 1960 Lark II Evinrude that I hope to pair up with the Starcraft. The p.o. said it had not been run in over 20 years but was in running condition when stored. The motor is electri start but no alternator. It also had no wiring harness, but with help from this forum I found the diagrams for it and just recently bought the complete harness for the old girl off evil-bay. The same seller had the selenoid box with ignition harness just the right length, so I snagged it too. Just need an ignition switch to be complete.:D

Last edited:

Leisure67

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking boat. She's got style!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Like it! can't wait to see more of it as you progress!

ssdale

Re: 1959 Starcraft - Started Restration

Re: 1959 Starcraft - Started Restration

Started full bore on the restoration of my aluminum 1959 Starcraft constellation walk-thru runabout in October! First step was to restore the Shorelander trailer. Got the original lights to work and saved almost all of the original decals. The hubcaps buffed out wonderfully:joyous: Want to invest in a power buffer on stand at some point, but for now just elbow grease.
Will post more pics in a few days as I have resumed work again on the boat after finishing up harvest on our farm.100_4212.jpg100_4218.jpg100_4207.jpg

Last edited:

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

The small trailer that you mentioned may have been original to the boat and of the correct time era. They do look small for the boat but are adequate and if you are going with a vintage restore you might think about it. Post some pictures of it. I know mine looks small, but it is for sure correct for the boat and I like the fact that you see mostly boat instead of trailer, although getting in and out of the boat on the trailer can be a chore because there is nothing substantial to stand on (I'm going to have to work on that) I'm still looking forward to your progress. Are you going back with the wood down the sides/gunwale? Man it would look nice with some stained hardwood.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm SOOOOOO envious!!! THIS is the type TINNER I want but the Right One just hasn't appeared yet. When it does...I'll be right there with you. I'm ON BOARD and watching!!!!!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Would love to see pictures of that finished McKenzie project. My son has an old McKenzie (around a 60 model) and would love to show some pictures to him of one fully restored to maybe get him motivated. You said you wanted to add it to the finished projects forum but I can't find it.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

The boat has so much great potential, regardless if you keep her original or make it custom to you!! The anchor system seems to be a add on, but I'm guessing 100%, up to you if you keep it or delete it I guess. I would worry about it banging around on the trailer and while on the water too. That thing looks like it was built like a tank, heavy duty everything. The motor is just as sweet, and looks like it's just about brand new. Hope it runs as good as it looks. As always good luck on your project, and post up the boat pictures because we all need that while the winter months lock many of us inside.

Merry Christmas from Michigan.

PS my favorite lake now has 2 inches of this hard stuff on top???? No boating here for the next 3-4 months

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool boat and cool motor for sure! Cant wait to see how this turns out!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's a nice little rig ya got there.......she has class. Looking forward to seeing the work done on her. Keeping it original sure would look elegant. Good luck.

ssdale

(tHey thanks a bunch for the nice words jvanhees and everybody else! This positive feedback is really motivating! My neighbbors and family just smile and shake their heads.:facepalm: Here are just a few shots of the finished 14 ft. McKenzie Playboy (no joke-that is the real model name). Haven't had time to post the whole project on the completed boat forum, but will as I am getting more familiar with how to post etc...

This trailer in these photos is the one that came with the 16ft Starcraft that is the subject of this post. I'm sure you are correct that this was the original trailer, but I thought the McKenzie looked better on it. Yea it is a PAIN to get in and out with these vintage trailers. The Shorelander overpowers the Starcraft a little, but as I said, it was FREE and as you said it has nice steps, So I am going with it until I see how this turns out

A couple of thes shots are when we took the Mckenzie Cherokee out onto the Gasconade River tributary to the Missouri River. The sunset shot was taken right at the confluence of the two rivers. A little nerve racking with ALL 1965 equipment. Thanks again to all, and enjoy the river shots while we're in the icebox!

100_3893.jpg100_3883.jpgphoto_01.jpgsunset.jpg100_3882.jpg

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, she is sweet:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.