1965 Starcraft Starchief

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1965 Starcraft Sunchief

It really is a carp shoot sometimes, often the question of model comes down to hull & topsides colors, as certain combinations were only offered 1 year on 1 model. And unless you have the original maker's documentation, every title since new, and all the registrations, anything is possible when it comes to ID'ing a boat.

For my 'fleet', I have a registered & titled 1960 Glastron FireFlite that was sold to me w/ paperwork ID'ing it as a 1959, which it clearly is not, they aren't really similar. At some point, the DMV (or whatever agency handled boats) in whatever state someone needed to reg/title the boat, needed year info about the boat that was not readily available, but the motor was easily ID'd as a 1959, so that's what the boat was labeled. My 1963 SC Jet (ID'd by length, beam & transom width) was registered in a non-title state as a 1974, which w/ little effort I quickly confirmed that it was a 1963. Even though the boat has been repainted (poorly). It is now reg & titled correctly.

My SC Holiday doesn't seem to conform to any of the length/beam/transom width combinations I could find. Trying to use the color combo to limit the years didn't match up either, but the model plate, lists it as a 18' Holiday. So sometimes, there are a few that just don't conform to the 'normal' ID methods.

Generally, NorthBeach is the go to guy for ID'ing vintage SC's..... So if he's confident its a '64 Chieftain, he's probably right...

The type & style of the side windows and the bow hatch all match the '64 Chieftain.....

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

That's good to know, and that why I am here, to learn. If NorthBeach is the go to guy then I am good with it being a Chieftan. So it measures about 18"9 do I call it a 18 a 19 or a 21' as the plate and registration says?

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member

If you have all the paperwork, I'd probably leave it as is. Unless Neb is similar to WV. It was more difficult to register the un-titled trailers then it was to change the inaccurate info about length, year & model on the boat paperwork.

But before you make any changes, it might be important to check into Nebraska's trailer registration & title info. Some are length based, some are weight based and some are a combination of both. Twin axles also sometimes change the title & registration requirements.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Looks less silly with a windshield on the top ;)

check out my starchief :)

airshot

Rear Admiral

I grew up on lake erie and in the old-old days it was common to measure a boat by the gunwale length. If my memory serves me correctly they would measure the width at the widest point on the deck, then take a measurement from that widest point along the deck, following the curve to the point of the bow, then double that length. That became the registered length of the watercraft. I can remember watching them measure old wooden boats in that manor when I was a kid. When they changed to centerline length I am not sure.

Airshot

North Beach

Commander

Just to be clear I wouldn't go changing registrations or titles or anything. You have to take some of what folks here tell you with a grain of salt. Most folks are just speaking from thier limited experience. But we have spent a great deal of time researching as much information as we could over the past few years and there are certain things we do know. In the 60's and 70's the big four starcrafts were all built on two platforms. I'm a little rusty so I could be off an inch or two. The Cheiftain and the Suncheif were built on what starcraft called the 21 foot hull. Actual measurement was 21'7". The starchief and the holiday was built on what starcraft called the 18' hull. actual measurement was I think 18'9". Someone correct me if I got the inches wrong. as far as how they measured to get that measurement no one knows.

Each year they made subtle changes to the interior/cabin layout/ and every year each model came in a unique color combination for that year. Also throughout the years there were changes to the hull design and I talked about that here
http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/solving-year-model-mystery-565646.html

There really aren't any big mysteries in the second half of the sixties and the first half of the 70's. You just look at whether the boat is the 21 footer or the 18 footer, then look at whether it has a cabin or not, look at the hull type, and then the color combination, and you know what you have.

The suncheif was a 21' open boat, was made for three years (64/65/66) and was replaced by the islander in 67. The length and color combination on your boat make it a 64 Cheiftain. Why the plate says Sunchief is the mystery because it deff isn't. As far as the title goes, It could have been purchased in say Jan 65 and was a leftover model from 64 and some creative retailer titled it as a 65. Stranger stuff has happened.
Hope this helps....

Edit... Rick, if you're pretty sure the length is 18 feet and change then it could be that this is a 65 Starchief. It came in exactly the same color combination as the 64 Cheiftain. Either way it's a cool boat!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I was lucky with mine, all three of my starcrafts were setup as starcraft for both the make and model :lol:, but when I went to register #3, the starchief, the nice DMV lady took a look at the other two gave the screen a :confused: look and asked for a model name to be entered for this one.

For #2 I tried to get them to set it up as a Nova when I registered it, but they went off of the previous registration info instead, heck I even gave them a blown up picture of the ID badge that said Nova :)

In this state, they really don't care much about the details, and my starchief had a new ID # given to it due to the missing sticker.

And for my Starchief, they have it entered as 18.5ft

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

So based on this I believe it is a Starchief because it measures about 18' 6" plus by eyeball. Hard to measure through the cabin. And looking at Gibbles pictures it looks very similar. It does not have the rail on the bow and of course it is an I/O. I do like the extra windshield on top. Do you think it came that way. Northbeach-I can't read those spec's on the brochure are they out there where I can enhance enough to read? On the Starchief that is.

Thanks very much as I think now I am figuring out what I have.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I think it's a Cheiftain due to the I/O part and the age.

And I'm positive it had a top windshield.

I bet if you look at the top you will find holes where it use to mount, and maybe even a line.

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

OK I found the 64 spec's and it is indeed a Starchief as the measurements agree and they offered the 110 mercruiser I/O. So it is apparently the 64 or maybe a 65.

Rick C.

North Beach

Commander

OK if it's an 18 footer then it's deff a 65. The 64 was a dingy beige color. So you have the concave V hull and yes the second windshield was a stock peice of equipment. And you are also correct they offered the I/O in the Starchief model also.

Whew! Glad we figured that out....

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Yes it is the concave hull. Cool so now I know what I have a 1965 Starcraft Sunchief. Now to figure out how to restore I am sure it will be a multi year project.

Thanks,
Rick C.

North Beach

Commander

Sorry Rick. Not a Sunchief, it's a Starchief.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Rick,
If you go to your initial post, and click edit
then Go Advanced
there should be a thread title box that you can edit in the top left of the advanced editing window. Up above all the format & etc frame...

There may be 2, make sure you edit the top upper 1, the other just changes the title of the individual posts not the thread.....

Just change it to the now 'corrected' model &/or year :cool:

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

Thanks, I tried to fix it earlier but could'nt figure it out. So now I think at least the original is fixed.

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 Starcraft Starchief

i'm just browsing through posts and was curious as to how your boat is coming along. I am restoring a 64 starchief myself which i have listed and like to look at other starchiefs

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

mattcap9

Thanks for asking, funny because I spent about 4 hours on it yesterday. In my case the boat has been sitting for 18 years and is an I/O so I wanted to check out the engine and drive first. The engine is sitting in my garage and a week ago I ran it for 30 minutes, went through quite a few minor things till I got to that point. So I feel real good about the engine compression on all 4 at 120+. The drive was totally removed as of yesterday and I will now disassemble and go through it as much as I feel I need too. The transon which I thought was good was not so I will be working on replacing it as time and weather allows. I plan to finish stripping the inside down and put it in the water and see how she runs first before I begin to redo the interior.

Rick C.

mattcap9

Seaman Apprentice

You should put some pics up so we can see it, i had trouble getting my pics on and some of the guys said to use photo bucket and then copy and paste the image address. its really simple.

Rick Cheloha

Cadet

I will try to put up some pictures at some point. However my latest questions is, what material and treatment is the the most cost effective way of replacing the transom wood?

Thanks,
Rick C.