Oh no. Here I go again.......

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Third seat, hmmm sounds like you need to put a solid set of boards across that span between the frames to make a big ole bench seat.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Wish I had 1 more frame, I have to go check the junk yard. Otherwise a good spot for a cooler...... now epoxy and paint
[url]http://s940.photobucket.com/user/tgp---/media/1972 Holiday/100_3553_zpsh1otjney.jpg.html
100_3553_zpsh1otjney.jpg
[/URL]

Hmmm I like the idea of a cooler in a bench...

dozerII

Admiral
Wish I had 1 more frame, I have to go check the junk yard. Otherwise a good spot for a cooler...... now epoxy and paint

I think I have one of those frames in the corner of the old garage, Getting it too you.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Since it almost always rains memorial day weekend in Wisconsin, and it did, I managed to get a couple things done.
Fab'd up a temp transom saver to keep my skeg up when on the road, an old light pole cable anchor, w/ some unistrut parts and scrap piece of marine plywood.
And, put some vinyl down on the rear seat frame wood.

I need to secure the seats some how though. I'm thinking P clips maybe, with thumb screws into a well nut in the deck. Looking for some tube plugs/caps too (my free ones are too big). Darn little things add up $$ though, hoping I can make something to secure them in position and still have them removable.

tgp***

FAILED SPLASH !!!:blue:

Found a little time to work on the boat. Test run the motor in a drum, seemed to run ok. Went to the lake, waited a half an hour in line to launch. Went across the lake test drive going ok (boats every where, sail boat races going on, and jet skiers all over, crazy out as always on the lakes near me), made it half way back and caput!, Paddled for about 25 minutes before help was offered to tow me in (several boats within 25 yards of me, watching me the whole time). Back at home working out the Gremlins today (another story when I have time). Hoping to try again next week. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Chin-up tgp! I bet those catatonic on-lookers were awe-struck by the tin-awesomeness!!! :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
bummer @ motor and no quick aid....

good luck next go around

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So did you start a thread in the Johnnyrude forum on your kaput motor? Those things are pretty darn easy to work on, my buddy has one on his Smoker that I did some work on for him.

Typical of the goofs nowadays not wanting to lend someone a hand. If I see a dead drifting boat I always go close enough to check on them and wave as I go by just to see if they need help or not. Although some of the water I boat on you can be 20 - 30 miles from the launch so paddling will only get a guy just to shore.

tgp***

Long story short, there could be 2 gallons of in the bottom of my permanent tank so the drop tube must have a tall inlet screen on it, because it wasn't getting gas (you can see the gas through the the tank!). I should have of filled it all the way, but was just going for test run and only mixed up 6 gallons. So partly my own fault. I was surprise it ran pretty good. Seem to push the boat ok. Not a speedster by any means, for a fish'n boat just fine.

My 650 Merc might be gas hog. Or it may use more gas with the 13 pitch prop and the 18 foot boot boat. I could run all day with the Nassau and its 650 on 6 gallons of gas. . Granted the motor hadn't bee run in 15 or more years. needs a tinkering yet.

Test run # 2 coming up soon. I do need to figure out the solenoid for the choke though. It will close the choke but the solenoid piston does not drop back down.
Repaired the wire but that was not the problem. They don't normally go bad.

I need to post up some pictures too!

Dam, gotta go (work) ... I'll post up some photo's next time.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
on the 'Rudes, the choke linkage has a spring-return...I wonder if the Mercs have something similar? :noidea:

tgp***

on the 'Rudes, the choke linkage has a spring-return...I wonder if the Mercs have something similar? :noidea:
Shh I'm at work.....Only spring I see is on the choke shutter itself and that operates fine. Did not see a see a spring in the manual either. But my manual doesn't seem to cover the choke solenoid. The Nassau is sold so I can't check that motor to see if it has one.

tgp***

Another failed attempt at "Splash" this weekend. Motor ran. Then nothing. Today I removed the little switch that cuts the motor out if tilted or kick up under way (little mercury operated kill switch mounted to the side of the block that goes to the switch box). Boom popped right off when I turned the key.

Last day of vacation tomorrow. Will try "Splash" again if get time.

Still can't figure out why the choke solenoid piston/plunger won't drop back down. Started a thread in Mercury Outboards forum hope to get an idea what to look for. The flap spring is fine if I close it by hand it opens back immediately. I'm baffled.