Oh no. Here I go again.......

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah October and September has vanished on me too, had to work a bunch of overtime to pay off my summer fuel bill. :lol:

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Finally found fuel tank for the Holiday. 12 gallon, aluminum (18"L x14"W x 12"H) for $40 (2x more than I would have preferred to pay, oh well). One of the tabs to screw it down is broken off, however, should fit nicely in the back under the splashwell area on the port side.

Watermann

Tough to get hold of anything "marine" without someone wanting to bend a guy over for it.

I thought I had a couple of good 12 Gal AL tanks but when cleaned up they turned out to have some nasty corrosion holes in them and were useless.

Dang there I go with doomsday talk again :lol:

tgp***

Tough to get hold of anything "marine" without someone wanting to bend a guy over for it. I thought I had a couple of good 12 Gal AL tanks but when cleaned up they turned out to have some nasty corrosion holes in them and were useless. Dang there I go with doomsday talk again :lol:

Will see. Looked good when I checked over on pick up. Will see when I spiff it up (too darn cold out here to do anything lately). Its tough when your a bottom feeder like me, I hate paying for anything anymore, when comes to Holiday. This is still basically a free boat for me would like to keep it that way. Next up.... how cheap can I get fuel gauge for?!

tgp***

Wow, just scored on the fuel gauge $6! Made an offer on ebay and he accepted it.. the guy has 30 of them..
Good deal if your looking for a new fuel gauge.

Last edited:

tgp***

I'm back! Out of hibernation. The tarp came off the Holiday today. 1st up fuel tank. Turned out the used tank I bought won't fit. So that went up on craigslist right away and the search for a new one is under way. So glad winter is over, now if only didn't have to work for a living, I could get something done.

Watermann

Welcome back to the bin. Lots going on here with new boats getting restored, revamped and otherwise worked on,

tgp***

Welcome back to the bin. Lots going on here with new boats getting restored, revamped and otherwise worked on,

I've been trolling the tin, just laying low waiting for warmer weather. Lots great projects. Lots of skilled people in iboats. Ice should be out here in a couple weeks maybe sooner. This week end I'm out of town wishing I were home working on the boat.

Last edited:

tgp***

Progress after a long cold winter.........
Sold my 12 gallon fuel tank and picked up another fuel tank to try. 19 gallons this time w/ a 3 hour road trip! Bought it at good price, however. Wedge shaped at the bottom, must have be an in floor tank from a glasser. Tight fit but it just may work. I'm talking less than an 1/8" clearance at the back on the underside of the splash well.

I'll also need to see how much bend the 1.5" fuel hose will have? as the fill connection is facing the wrong way. It will need a double bend, or flopped to the other side with longer hoses $$). Don't want to spend more $$ to have the fill tube redone by welding on a different one. No sending unit w/this one either ($). I'll to get creative to secure it too ($). If the hose don't bend enough I'll be looking for a different tank again I think. Can't see throwing too much money at it. A new one (poly) is $160.

Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah that's a nice AL belly tank. You may want to think about fabricating up a cradle for it to support the tank better than just the flat spot on the bottom.

I know you want as much neutral balance as possible but you may have to just move the tank over more to the port side to get the filler hose on the neck away from the splashwell, you don't want it rubbing. You could also use a 90 degree angle solid piece of material with a short piece of hose clamped to the tank spout and then to the 90 so it would be pointing more towards the filler neck on the gunnel. With the battery on the starboard side it should even out weight wise more or less.

I believe one of the guys here did that with his fuel filler set up with the solid 90 degree piece.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not much bend in fuel hose, so that's why Dozer, IIRC, used a 90deg bend. Looks like a nice tank, but mounting a V bottom to a flat deck may be more challenge then it's worth. Still have to mount it if you buy another poly $160 tank I suppose though.

tgp***

Ya' think I can use aluminum inter cooler tube? :D.......Sounds like I'll be pricing welding a new filler tube on.............

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That looks like a kitchen sink trap, tgp. :lol:

Good to see you back on her after the winter nap.

tgp***

Psst hey TGP that's a 180 degree tube buddy!

Yep :D. $17 ebay. I'll have to check prices on filler hose. I can spin the tank to the other side and but then it'll take about 4 to 5 feet of hose. I'll get price on welding a new tube on.

Watermann

I see, now your turning 180 on us. :D

You may end up with a slow fueling issue due to a longer filler line that has a flatter run to the tank. Maybe not but just a thought!

dozerII

Admiral
Good to see you back after the winter hibernation TGP, looks like a bit of a plumbing issue you have, that fuel hose is real expensive.

tgp***

Found the weld on 1.5" filler neck for cheap, comes in straight (vertical), 45 degrees and, 90 degrees. Sweet! $6.25 for the 45 degree and 90. $5.50 for the Straight
Now just need to find someone to weld it on! (For cheap if possible). Have a link for you all, should you ever need parts. They have other tank accessories too.

Check them out.
http://www.fueltankparts.com/1-5-45-deg-fill-pipe.html
cimg2505.jpg

Last edited: