Oh no. Here I go again.......

jbcurt00

Staff member
hmmm

I suspect the pix posting problem is related to exactly what error message you get each time. I click OK in the error msg box, and when it closes I try to right click & choose reload (Firefox) to confirm my post (& pix) posted. Occasionally reload isn't shown as a choice, which is odd, but I just go up to the Firefox address window & click the little reload icon at the end of the address window.

Very rarely has that failed to be successful, but a failure to post has occurred.

When I remember the new option, I also try to use the Preview button. When I do, and I'm ready to post my reply, I submit my post via the post option IN the preview window. Doing it that way, I have more successes getting my posts to go thru w/ no errors.

EDIT: Of course, that preview window failed to work :watermelon:

Oh well..

BTW: the 59 BellBoy looks a big ole' beast, 'itching' for a project? :eek:

Last edited:

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
hmmm

I
BTW: the 59 BellBoy looks a big ole' beast, 'itching' for a project? :eek:

Its only a 16 footer...... But no, just parts to sell on ebay. I think I may be too far gone for me, for a glasser project .

Last edited:

tgp***

The boat is coming along slowly but surely. Going to try posting some progress photos here. .
Dash, side panels and flooring are in. Checked to see if the motor would run, Fired right up. Not pumping water though. I even popped in a spare impeller. Picked up a nice 13 pitch prop for the motor for 35 bucks the other day. The prop chart says it should push this old girl around until I find (can afford) a different motor. I could take the 650SS (identical motor) off the Nassau and run twins on the Holiday! But then the Nassau just wouldn't be the same. It will need some fine tuning too, I'm sure. It could use a different steering wheel. Oh yea there is new plexi in the sides and center walk thru window too. Main windshields were glass.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I like the SC steering wheel, maybe a fresh detail or touchup w/ Krylon plastic paint?

tgp***

A good soaking of Armorall on that should brighten it up. Sure glad I contracted MBS. Taking the Nassau up to Lake Wissota for 3 days of fishing this next weekend. Definitely need a break from work..

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice!

Pix or it didn't happen... Splash & fish, please :watermelon:

tgp***

Anyone ever install a garboard style drain on an aluminum boat? Thinking of buying one those underwater LEDs that screw into a 1/2 inch garboard style drain.

tgp***

Got rained out most of my few days off. Did manage this little spin in the Nassau though.

tgp***

Wow, can't believe how fast the summer is flying by. Working 12 hour days, and getting nothing done on the boat, and not getting the Nassau out either as much as I would like.

Today was the first time in almost 2 months I got to work on the boat. Worked on some wiring. Then I put a new water pump impeller in the Nassau's 650 Merc because I heard a funny noise last month at low to mid range rpms. Like a clackety sound. But when I throttled up WOT it went away, and could not here it at idle either. Hoping the clackety sound was do to heating up because low water pump pressure. So then I thought I might as well do the Holidays 650 Merc too as long as I'm at it. Might see if that motor will fire tomorrow. If she runs I may have to get it registered and splash it, finished or not.

I probably going to have to sell one of these boats. My daughter is taking Drivers Ed now and I probably should get her a car.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nah, the Nassau is a perfect 'Got your license' gift :). Hard to drive it to school though......

tgp***

I have power for the Holiday! [video]http://vid940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1972%20Holiday/VideoAug03104702AM_zps120b32d8-1.mp4[/video]

tgp***

Oh my! It seems summer slipped by on me. Not much time for boats this year. Thought I should check in and up date.

The Holiday is going to have to come out of the garage soon. Hoping to launch it yet this year. (unfinished to test the motor to see if it needs more work). I have to seal the last 3 holes from the old pito tube on the transom tin. No back seat yet, no permanent tank yet (launch w/ portable tank from the Nassau!). Front seats good enough for now. So close yet so far away. Will be looking for some bling and upgrades to put on the Holiday over the winter.

I really need to retire, this working for a living just gets in the way.

Just winterized the Nassau, found water in the lower unit :(. So now I need to search for a guy to put new seals in it this winter. Oh well.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Fall is nicer weather then most of the summer. Go boating.

Search iboats and look in the mirror. LU seals are not that hard. Good winter work.:D

tgp***

QUOTE "64osby "LU seals are not that hard. Good winter work.:D""

Yes that would be true Osby.
However, from what I've read in the Service Manual, I will need specialized tools (of which I do not have), then there is the whole time issue (of which I do not have, the "busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest" ). Sure sounds like I'm ranting doesn't it?? I am...........LOL

Could be upper seals could be lower seals, could both. Could take ME days! It should take a professional with the proper tools, an hour and half, plus parts (parts are cheap I've looked them up.). I just need to find a trust worthy mechanic. Dealership Outboard Mechanics around here charge about $80/hour. If I could find an good mechanic I feel I should be able to get it done for under $180, and I could live that. Most of them hem and hah when you ask for a quote, or give you some ridiculously high number.

I had it done 3 years ago (by moonlighting mechanic over the winter while he was laid off), for $75 and that included parts, and a pump impeller and gaskets too. Not sure what caused it to happen again 3 years later, regardless, it still needs to be done again:grumpy:.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lets hope the reason isn't a shaft with a groove in it that's causing the seal failures.

tgp***

QUOTE ""Watermann ""Lets hope the reason isn't a shaft with a groove in it that's causing the seal failures.""

There is that dooms day scenario.

I found a "guy", maybe. About an hour or so away from me. "Als Ooutboards" Its all he does, He supposedly has lots of parts for these old motors too. We'll see. I may have spotted another 650SS too on CL. But the Their asking price is a little high at $500 for a motor laying on a pallet not able to test. Time will tell, I got until spring to get the LU fixed. Going to try to focus on the Holiday. Which also has a the same year 650SS on it a 1967.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sorry, didn't think of it as doomsday, more of a realist scenario having worked lots of aged equipment over the years. Actually the shafts can either be filled or sleeved pretty easily to keep the new seal from failing.

tgp***

QUOTE Watermann ""Sorry, didn't think of it as doomsday, more of a realist scenario having worked lots of aged equipment over the years. Actually the shafts can either be filled or sleeved pretty easily to keep the new seal from failing.""

I realize that (just kidd'n around). I just need to find the time to get it to a decent mechanic. I took the LU off so its ready. I'm headed out of town for work again so it has to wait..

Back to the Holiday.....I did manage to put some small stainless screws and nuts with aluminum rivet backers into the old pito tube mount holes as a temporary measure ( I think i'd like to put solid rivets in there if I don't put a pito back on). Fabbed up my guide-on extensions for the trailer and mounted the guide-on boards. Believe it or not the Holiday could actually go for a test drive. Get the portable tank and hose from the Nassau as a loner and she's good to go. Maybe next weekend if I'm not working may be the test drive.

Last edited: