Oh no. Here I go again.......

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Couldn't help myself, just got home Saturday afternoon with a winter project. 1972 StarCraft Holiday 18 OB.
120 miles round trip. .

Needs floor (rotted), transom (rotted), dash (rotted), interior (rotted), trailer (I think someone cut the tounge off at one point, because there is onlyi a couple inches between the bow and the tail gate of my truck . And it will need a motor. I'm hoping my spare 650 Merc will push it around. I don't think its going to be big enough though.

I'm going to try and get it stripped and out of the garage, and then flipped before the snow flies.
I'll start a restoration thread on the Main Forum Restoration Section when I get a chance. I thought I would give the Starmada first look.

Photo's for your enjoyment. and proof.......

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander
Re: Oh no. Here I go again.......

TGP --- nice find there man! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! Looks like it is perfect shape for a restore --- all the important stuff is in great shape... save for the seats!

That is a mighty short tongue/trailer for the boat... might need some tweeking! :D

Enjoy.

Jim

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I'm sure you'll turn that into another great boat! Congrats!!

matt167

Captain

Looks like a good project. Trailer is probably worth fixing. Looks like an early 60's Holesclaw tilt trailer. Looking at it, I think they moved the winch stand forward. I don't think it's actually modified..

dozerII

Admiral

Great looking boat TGP, the hull looks very straight and good shape. Can't beat the price either.

eddy622611

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Look forward to watching the restoration. Brian

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Definitely a Holsclaw tilt bed and definitely moved forward. And I thought I maxed out mine with a 14' boat. If I take my topper off I can go bigger. :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice looking project. Is she gonna stay green?

The trailer looks more than a smidge small for an 18' Holiday. Looks like the wench (sic) is almost sitting on the bumper too. As long as the weight rating is enough for a loaded boat you can easily add a longer tongue.

Given your resto history, she will be a real nice one. I be watching. :behindsofa:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, nice score, she'll make for a great project!

Yah, I'm with these guys. This Holiday looks pretty original - maybe not so much fixing PO's stuff eh. Except....

I can't figure out what we are venting back there at the stern??? Hmmmmm....

Have fun man!;)

tgp***

Finished Stripping the boat today (day off), and flipped it. The transom was interesting, It wasn't all one piece.
26.jpg

Bow support was split, so that came out.
29.jpg

Dumped it off the trailer, and flipped it over, It can snow all it want too now.
31.jpg

32.jpg

36.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Nicely done, was that a one man flip?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You didn't waste any time turning a Holiday into a dinghy. ;) Looks that way on her side. Your transom wood is typical for Starcraft from what I've seen here. Three piece, I guess it was cheaper than using a full depth chunk of wood and scraps or trimmings could be used for the corners.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great price for the boat........and I must say...certainly a super quick teardown. Looking forward to your progress!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice man, ultra fast tear down:eek:range:

InMotion

Commander

Great job --- nice to have that out of the way for sure!

J.

tgp***

Found the information on the trailer from fiberglassics. Its for a 16' ft boat as I suspected.

Holsclaw.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

InMotion

Commander

Good info there. Interesting that it says it's good for max 16' centerline --- which is more like a 17' Starcraft the way they are commonly referred to as.... but still I think you will exceed the weight factor alone much less the length factor. The trailer looks like it would work well for a Jet Star or maybe a Jupiter at best.

What's you plan with it at this point???

J.

tgp***

What's you plan with it at this point???

Craigslist for now. If it doesn't sell might rehab it and put it under the Nassau, being a tilt trailer and all. It'll be a expensive rehab though. It has crap load a rollers. The bunk rollers alone are $3-$4 apiece and there is 24 of them. Its actually cheaper to buy new roller bunks already assembled. 7 - 4" center rollers, a set of guide on rollers at the back, and front stop needs replacing too. I think I priced all the rollers and stop at about $175. Then were talking a new winch strap, paint, tires, new bearings, shocks, and if you did all that you might as well rewire it, and all the labor........ Not sure its worth it , and don't think I could make anything selling refinished . And I still would not have a trailer for the Holiday. I think my best bet is to try and turn a profit on CL for capital operating money on the Holiday rebuild. Too bad, it's nice little trailer.......and would be a nice mate to the Nassau. The 18' Holiday is 880 pounds according to the brochure.

Holiday1972.jpg

Checked my Prop Chart (below) . Looks like I may be able to use my 650 Merc on the Holiday after all.
A-48-29662A2 13 1/2" dia. 13" pitch 2 blade bronze or an A-48-378998A2 13" Dia. 13" pitch 3 blade prop would work. I run the A-48-37900A2 12 1/2" Dia. 15" pitch 3 blade on my Nassau and its spot on w/ my speedo. It would be nice not to have to buy another motor. I see there's a prop on Ebay.
45.jpg