My Chieftan project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well another Christmas has passed and hopefully everyone had a most enjoyable one. I made a treat for the holiday gathering, a smoked salmon cheese ball and it was a big hit. I love smoked fish so decided to try to make a cheese ball and I have to say it was superb as the family quickly devoured it. Thankfully I have plenty of fish to make more.

The smoker in action!

Although I didn't score on any aluminum during this time I did acquire a different metal - - - copper - - - as in 1000' of copper trolling line. Ah yes, Gonna make me up some new copper line rods for the upcoming fishing season. These should further enhance my fishing spread and most certainly help the lean, mean, fishing machine put more fish in the box. Happy Holidays indeed.

dozerII

Admiral
That salmon cheese ball sounds real good,I'm not a salmon lover but anything you put cheese has to taste good.

Weep'n Willy

For our fishing friends:

To add to the lean, mean fishing machines arsenal I got some more trolling rigs done up. Copper is used in specific lengths to achieve certain depths flatline trolled. Since copper line is an effective trolling method on the Great Lakes I got 4 new Okuma CV45D reels, Okuma Classic Pro GLT Copper/Leadcore rods and got busy.

So we have 30# Ande Monster Hi-Vis monofilament for backing, 32# Blood Run Copper, and 20# Big Game for leader line.

Reels were spooled with x amount of backer line then attached to a Spro size 8 swivel via palomar knot. The copper line was attached to the swivel using the haywire twist.

A short piece of heat shrink tubing was inserted on the copper prior to tying the haywire. Once the knots were complete the heat shrink was slid over the haywire knot and shrunk.

At the end of the copper I used another swivel attaching the same way but using the 20# line for a 25' leader.

And this is the finished product.

So I made the following rigs;
2 rigs of 75' of copper - expected depth at my trolling speed 12-14'
1 rig of 150' copper - depth expected 24-26'
1 rig of 200' copper - depth expected 32-35'

These rigs will be ran off my planer lines so this will effectively cover a lot more of the water column. Is it spring yet......I am ready to fish.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome stuff, WW. The Okumas are such an amazing value and are really tough. I'll be referring to this post when I set up my wire diver rods.

Weep'n Willy

Thanks Chem, let me know when you go to do your wire divers. There is a different knot to use on the wire. I will try to get some pics on how to do the wire knots.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice WnW. I've heard of using that wire, but don't have any experience with it. Did you need to use the eye because the copper won't play nice with the mono?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Willy - Want me to make a copy of this for the freshwater fishing forum. You know, just in case a glasser goes fishing. :rolleyes:

Weep'n Willy

Very nice WnW. I've heard of using that wire, but don't have any experience with it. Did you need to use the eye because the copper won't play nice with the mono?

Cj, most folks that used copper tied the mono to it with the albright knot. It seems that breakage occurred on the mono at the point of the knot. So maybe copper and mono are not that compatible when under stress from a fish. Using the swivel allows you to utilize the palomar knot on the mono (which we know is the superior knot) and the haywire twist for the copper which is smaller in overall diameter than the albright. So using the swivel and shrink wrap makes this set up much easier for the line to pass through the levelwind on the reels and overall a much stronger union. Plus with a swivel on both ends of the copper you don't have to worry about the copper getting all twisted up.

Ga - you may certainly make a copy for the fishing forum. I was gonna put this there but I knew a few of our fellow tinmen are avid fishermen. Oh, and BTW, I am still a glasser too!! :laugh:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Done Willy. Watch for questions over there in case one of your Glassbuddies needs some help working with metal. :D

This is good stuff! :thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Well I finally had a chance to go through some of my old boat pics. I can't find the one of my 1st Starcraft but it was just a 14' with a 15hp evinrude.

This was my somewhere mid 80's Mariner. She was and 18' with a 50hp Johnson.

This was my late 80's Islander. She was a 22' with full camper canvas. She was sported with an OMC 120hp with the Cobra outdrive.
One of the few grey colored hulls I have seen. She was a real fish slaying machine too.

These were caught out of Frankfort, MI in the early 90's fishing a scum line with surface lines 15 miles out.

And finally, the pic I am most proud of. For my third reenlistment in the U.S. Navy I was allowed to take the oath on my own boat out upon the waters of Lk Superior. I memory I will never forget.

So as you can see, Starcraft boats and I go way back.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Nice walk down memory lane Willy.

Re-up on your own boat, nice. Did they turn it into a PT boat for you. :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A fine line up with some pride and joy added to the mix. :joyous:

GA_Boater

Nice trip down memory lane, Willy. Re-upping on your own fish destroyer had to be cool.

From the looks of the gear on the stern, your re-up dinner was fishy. :D

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Some nice boats thru the years Willy. Nice to see some fellow squids on here. :usa2:

dozerII

Admiral
Now that what's every company wants when it come to customer loyalty, real nice bunch of boats you have had Willy.

Weep'n Willy

Thanks guys. Starcraft has been a part of my life for many years and certainly fit my need for many years. Doing the Cheiftain restore was just more icing on the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.