My Chieftan project

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that's a trip report, WnW! Great story, great board recovery, great CG inspection, great boat and awesome fishies. :thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well sadly the nasty weather has arrived and it is time to put the girl to rest for the winter. Now a few weeks ago my one daughter was moving so they brought their chickens over as they had no place for them. So right now they are free ranging until I finish their coop and pen up. So last night I was sitting in the cabin having a few refreshments and sorting my fishing gear to put away for the season. All of a sudden here comes one of the chickens, first on the dog house then came right in the cabin and sat down next to me. Since it was windy, cold, and misty I figured it was just getting out of the weather. Surprise surprise. Go back in the boat this am and there lies an egg she left me for the hospitality I offered. Go figure. :lol: Thankfully she didn't tear anything up or leave any other presents.

But as far as improvements for the boat.....well I was lucky enough to score a nice set of 4 Big Jon electric downriggers on local auction which included another Big Jon planer mast identical to the one I already have plus a Big Jon solid aluminum trolling board. So I will now remove my manual riggers and install the electrics. Life is good!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
But as far as improvements for the boat.....well I was lucky enough to score a nice set of 4 Big Jon electric downriggers on local auction which included another Big Jon planer mast identical to the one I already have plus a Big Jon solid aluminum trolling board. So I will now remove my manual riggers and install the electrics. Life is good!

It cannot be overstated how much better the electrics are. Congrats.

I've heard that the big jon auto stop crimps can cut your cable. A local here just lost a fish hawk probe due to this issue. Just a heads up...no personal experience.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Winterize time has arrived for the new Chiefs on the block. I got mine done this week too and today I'm blowing out my irrigation system.

Chickens are best on a BBQ with a beer can stuck in em.:lol:

After draining her out were you going to take off your outdrive to make sure everything is ok for winter like I did? An $8 gasket kit was well worth the peace of mind I got from removing my OD and seeing it was perfect inside. I also greased the U-joints, re-checked the alignment and am happy to say the bar just about fell out with perfectly even spline marks. I also checked the gear oil to see it was still like new so I didn't drain it all out. I guess this being the first IO I've done it was worth it to check on my noobie workmanship.

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Chem: I have ran manual riggers for 30+ years and never really felt that I needed the electrics. Couple years ago I won a brand new Big Jon high speed electric rigger at a local auction for dirt cheap. I installed it for a day but removed it after the first trip with it as the retrieve and lower rate was way to fast for my liking so put it on CL and made back triple what I paid for it. These ones I just got have the regular speed so will fit my needs much better.

Water, I usually remove the outdrive at the end of a good long fishing season but not sure if I will remove this on on the Chief this season as I only had it on the water for a limited amount of trips. As it is archery season and the weather has turned and the deer are moving and plenty of pre-rut activity has began I have been spending some time in the woods in an attempt to get some high speed beef. Had six bucks out in the bean field Sunday evening including a real nice 8pt that I wouldn't mind getting.

Speaking of BBQ. Sunday night I was sent a pic from the golf course I work at. Seems one of out electric carts caught on fire out on the course. By the time the general manager got out there to check out the situation it was well beyond saving. So Monday morning a trip with the skidder and a set of forks I retrieved what was left. Sure was a hot fire, melting most of the aluminum framing.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Yup, right there is why you put a fuse at the battery :lol:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Absolutley amazing what you all do with these old boats! I'm considering a pontoon rebuild to start. Maybe when I grow up I can do something cool like this!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Absolutley amazing what you all do with these old boats! I'm considering a pontoon rebuild to start. Maybe when I grow up I can do something cool like this!

If you ask our Admirals, they may say that not growing up may be part of our 'problem'............ :eek:

GA_Boater

Did that use to be a Chevy Volt or a Tesla? Nice scorch on the fairway, too.

Weep'n Willy

Well the Chief has been winterized and the long wait to spring has began. Still there are several things on my mind I would like to do to her come spring to further enhance our time on the water. Winter seems to have set upon us all here in Michigan quite suddenly with frigid temps and snowfall. But with this time of year is also deer hunting season. I have been taking my grandson out several times with the xbow in an attempt to get him his first deer but unfortunately he had a couple misses . . . . until the opener of gun season this past Saturday.

Around 4:00pm I scored first dropping an 8pt with a pop from my 50cal muzzleloader. We dressed the deer, loaded it up in the truck, and were back in our stand within an hour. Fifteen minutes after getting back in the stand we had some doe appear. My grandson was ready to score. Like a pro he took aim, a breath, steadied, and let loose with the 12ga. The deer jumped a couple feet in the air and I could see the blood spot on her chest, a perfect shot. He asked if he got her and I said Oh Yea, you got her good. Perfect shot. I had seen her make a couple jumps and crash but he was still unsure. We went over and he found blood and started tracking. When he finally saw her laying he ran up to her hollering "I got her, I got her!" He was so excited and so was I. Hard to explain the great emotions I felt and can say it was truly an honor and a pleasure to be a part of his first successful hunt. Priceless memories for sure. The mile long grin on his face tells the tale.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Nice buck and doe, Willy. Always good to see a young one do something for the first time. Give him a Starmada Hug! :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Very nice indeed willy! That's a nice buck alright, I sure hope that successful hunt your grandson had sets hunting in his soul forever.

I had to settle for a 5 pt'r near the end of my season here but the way I see it it'll be a trophy every time a fork sticks in. Thanks for thinking of us and the pics too!

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
Nice buck and doe, awesome that you're teaching the grandson. Just love the smile on his face.

dozerII

Admiral
Now that's a smile that will have memories behind it for many years. Great looking dear WnW, I'm still waiting for Whitetail season to open here.

Weep'n Willy

Thanks guys! The grandson is still grinning from ear to ear and hoping to get a buck yet this season. Yesterday we got the deer skinned down and quartered up then took the hides to the DNR check station so they could age them. The buck was 2 1/2 yo and the doe was 4 1/2 yo. My grandson also got his successful deer hunter patch that the DNR gives to those that bring in deer. I will make him a shadowbox with the pic, his shell casing, and the patch so he will have a lasting display of his first successful hunt.

GA_Boater

Now that is way cool, Willy. Life is made of memories to look back on that sometimes fade. This is one of the high points and when he gets his first buck, two great memories from his youth supported by the shadow box.

InMotion

Commander
Wicked boat there WW!!! Nice work man! Your Grandson looks mighty proud there! Glad you are able to get out and get some quality time in with him.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.