Starcraft supersport 180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charle5490

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1977 starcraft supersport with a 135 johnson. I took it to a local boat shop to have the motor tuned up. The mechanic said that it had a few issues and it would be easier to purchase a new outboard then it was to fix this one. I found a nice motor on craigslist that was close to me. It turned out to be an XP 200, is this motor to big to run on this boat? The intended use of this boat is for fishing, riding around and maybe some water skiing.

djmeaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starcraft supersport 180

Hi Charle5490,

Congrats on the boat and sorry to hear about the motor. I checked the '77 brochure for an 18' SS and it lists a 150 hp outboard. I'm thinking that is the max. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me will confirm for you.

Oh yea, welcome to the board. I'm relatively new here myself -- and can say it's definitely in your best interest to post some pics as soon as possible :eek:

Dan

InMotion

Commander

Hey welcome aboard C5! Ya... that would be too big for an 18 IMHO. An 18 SS will go well with even a 90hp! So a 120/140 or a 150 would be more than enough!!

Pics would great of the boat too!!! :)

IM

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

A 200 on that boat would peel your face right off!!:eek:

I say go for it if you are into that sort of thing:cool:

I'm not, too afraid of "go boats".

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same boat and the max allowed is 150. I have a 70 and it's great (for me) for two people - 30 mph. 200 would be scary.

Good luck!

jbcurt00

Staff member

If the 200hp is running & can be grabbed quick & cheap, might try to trading it down for someone elses 135-150hp runner... If you need to do some winter resto work on the boat, you should be able to find a replacement running motor before you'll need it.

But, yep, I'll add MHO to the pile on: The 200's way to much motor for an 18ft'r...

Welcome to iboats

williamk12

Cadet

I have a 1983 18ss and I put a yamaha 90 4 stroke on her ( used 05) got it for $3500.00. A l bit pricey but i'm not too mechanically inclined. Boat gets up and hauls to 43mph with my wife and two kids, cooler full and all the toys for a day with the family.
Just thinking a 200 would be just a tiny bit too much !! but it does make you wonder......good luck with the new boat, I love mine..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Did I miss where he said it was 18 ft?
Might be the big gun holy grail...21 foot SS?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thread title maybe?

Did you go over your 2 cocktail limit again Kev??:rolleyes::p:D

Actually that is the problem, I haven't been properly toasty in quite awhile.
I was absorbed in his post, and had long forgotten the title.
Move along, as you were..or weren't , whichever you prefer

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

What specifically was wrong with the 135? what does it need that would make it not worth fixin? Just curious.

barato2

Commander

yeah, i have the same Q. if it has compression, i'd be real hesitant to yank it off transom til i did more research.

200 is definitely too big. if it were just a little over, no big deal. but that's waay over rated hp. and no doubt waay over weight they envisioned on transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Although your hull is likely rated for a 150, which is a V6, as an owner of the same boat I'd recommend you stick with a 4 cylinder and that 200 is definitely too much. Mine goes 40MPH with just a 90. Anyway, a lot of mechanics aren't real interested in working on the old motors so to them even relatively minor problems are cause for dismissal. However, these old Johnson/Evinrude V4's are pretty bulletproof and still enjoy decent parts support from BRP. Unless there's something wrong inside the block, I'd find a mechanic who will more willingly work on it.

emoney

Commander

Hear, hear on the "what's wrong with the current powerplant" questions. The mechanic didn't mislead you, as it's ALWAYS easier to pull a motor and put one on that it is to fix a broken one, however, that doesn't make it the smart thing to do. Obviously, there are some issues that will cost more than what the motor's worth (whole combination for that matter), but that motor shared a lot of parts with plenty others so parts should be readily available used and new.

Of course, I just realized I could be talking to myself as the OP hasn't even responded to his own thread in 5 days. But, then again, I talk to myself all the time. And when I do, I ALWAYS make sure I have pictures to back up whatever I'm asking myself. For the record.

Charle5490

Cadet

I would like to thank everyone for their input! I work for the Army so i have been out for a few days. I did take everyones advice and did not buy the 200. I am new to boating so that means i do not have much knowledge in anything. I took the boat to a local boat place to have the motor gone over since i could not get it running. So there is an issue with the key iginition! But that is for another time. The mechanic told me that the motor need a tune up, impellar at the minimum. Two days later he called and said that one side had high compression and the other had low compression, but was able to get it to turn over. He then suggested that we just buy a mid to late 90s motor as it would probably be cheaper than trouble shooting my motor. The trim and tilt does not work and will cost ruffly $600 to fix! But maybe I should take it to another shop and get a second opinion?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Possibly just a head gasket on the low side. No harm in pulling the head and taking a look see. Rare to have tilt n trim on pre-'78 motors and used TnT units for those motors go for $400 on ebay. I'm sure you can have yours repaired for less than that. I'd focus on getting the motor running well first. Then we can look into fixing your TnT, just doing without, or adding an aftermarket TnT unit.

Charle5490

Cadet

So I need a little help on this motor. The model no. is 135ETL76D what does all of that mean. Also how do i figure out what year the boat is for sure? I have been told it is a 74 or a 75?

IMG_0989.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So I need a little help on this motor. The model no. is 135ETL76D what does all of that mean. Also how do i figure out what year the boat is for sure? I have been told it is a 74 or a 75?

Hmmm, that there is the model number. Prolly just means it's a 135 hp, electric start, T&T, long shaft, 1976. I don't think that's the Serial Number though. You'll need that plus this decoder:

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/models_1980-present.gif

For your boat year, you don't happen to see a data plate in there do ya?

Hey, nice SS! She looks like a great hull and lot's of potential there!

Status
Not open for further replies.