1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looks like you found all the Starcrafts on your lake, 850. And both Jupiters, to boot! :D You must be running out of good weather up there.

Fuel pump kits are cheap. If you have a Merc dealer nearby, see if they have an OEM Merc kit. I'm finding out the aftermarket rubber parts aren't as good as OEM. Just an opinion.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Let me check the shop in the am. I think I ordered an OEm rebuild kit and never installed it. Look for a pm in the am.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, it was pretty nice out there. I can't wait to be our there just for fun instead of troubleshooting! Still not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon. BTW here is that youtube video I promised, nothing special but I if you pay close attention you can see the engine studder on rev. Yes, I know it was dangerous to run the motor without the covers, but we were careful not to get water in the carbs. I ordered a "check valve kit" yesterday and I already installed the "diaphragm kit", but maybe the OEM kit comes with more goodies (like springs and such)?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for the ride along and the SC's on the water together looked very sweet! :thumb:

Not sure if the older Mercs are like Johnny/Rude but be sure to check the vacuum hole that goes into the powerhead too while you have the pump off, it should be clear of obstructions. The fuel pump rebuild I did on my Johnny was a PITA but it would bog badly when opened up as the pump didn't supply enough fuel. The way your Merc is acting (stumbling/stuttering) seems more like a high speed jet issue. Post up your video in the Merc forum and see if some gurus swing by to help out.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just wanted to give a real quick update. Last weekend we took the boat to Chatfield and tested the motor (with the water pump check valve kit installed) and it ran perfect!!! Very excited to have it working well, I also install the Bimini top that I bought. We didn't test it out but it's installed and ready for next summer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's not right, 850! You get her running good, then lock her away 'til spring. :eek::D:thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's great! Peace of mind for the long winters nap.

Tinnman

Cadet
Well,new here,but not to tin boats.
You should have fun with the project.

After 40 years,finally got a 16 ss. Got it for free, since the boat had a rotted transom and the owner didn't
Want to invest he timeb or money.

Tinnman

Cadet
Have you all ever seen a transom in a bucket?
20160827_160237.jpg Replacing with 3/4 exterior ply. No need to go for Marine ply and definitely don't use treated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tinman, please dont post to inactice topics. After 90+days w no new posts by the OP (850Merc) treat the topic as a library book: for research only,amd not to be posted to.

Start a topic about your SS and post info about it there.

Thanks