Interior Rivets and opinion on pop rivet guns

and2ram

Seaman
One problem with aluminium, everything is riveted in this boat! So here's a question for you floor replacement/interior refurbishment guys. What are the large head pop style rivets called and where did you end up finding them? Specifically these hold the side panels up.

Also, when replacing the small standard pop rivets do you have a preferred pop riveting tool?

barato2

Commander
Re: Interior Rivets and opinion on pop rivet guns

try McMaster-Carr or Fastenall for the rivets. i got 3 boxes of large head ones for abt $25 shipped from MMC.

for riveter, just get good quality one....think in the $40-60 or better range. the cheap ones i've used are uniformly junk. no experience with the ultra heavy duty one from HF, though.

HarryO60

Cadet

The 3/16th riveter from Harbor Freight works well if you keep the jaws clean and lubed with jaw lube. Hanson Rivet in California was the only place I could find countersink head all aluminum rivets long enough to install 3/4" plywood in my son's (DirtyHarry 83) boat. Good prices and excellent service, what more could you ask for.. Good luck with your rebuild.

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought 60 at fastenal for 3/4 ply for 36 bucks. .56 cents a piece.

I am using a 20 dollar Stanley rivot gun from Home Depot and no complaints