where can I get the aluminum transom cap piece ? (strip on top of transom)

Abe Froman

Cadet
my transom aluminum cap piece has been cut to pieces. anyone know where I can find this piece ?

cheers

North Beach

Commander
Re: where can I get the aluminum transom cap piece ? (strip on top of transom)

Abe how about a pic so we know exactly what you're talking about here?

barato2

Commander

not sure anyone makes one. you might have to anneal the aluminum and roll one yourself. i'm planning on just TIG welding in some reinforcement where mine was torn by flexy flyer transom.

North Beach

Commander

B I'm not sure if he's talkin about the trim or the stern cap?

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with b2, you may be learning metal manipulation

cutbait76

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep an eye on ebay all the time, and bending aluminum is easy.. though you may want to look into alternatives. A quick look at aluminum channel and the price is kinda steep for a quick learn into bending aluminum

nomrwrk

Seaman

Contact MichaelP - he's a fourm member. He makes transom end caps for Starcrafts and sells them on ebay. I bought two he made to fit my 1974 Chieftain. They look and work great. When I have a chance I'll post a couple of pics.

Reactions: K.C

nomrwrk

Seaman

Contact MichaelP - he's a fourm member. He makes transom end caps for Starcrafts and sells them on ebay. I bought two he made to fit my 1974 Chieftain. They look and work great. When I have a chance I'll post a couple of pics.

Here's the pic of one of the transom caps. I used marine sealant to attach and ensure water doesn't find its way to the transom.
Picture 029.jpg

Abe Froman

Cadet

sorry guys, I dont have a pic, but it's the u shaped piece that goes on top of the transom that the outboard motor sits on. Not the end caps... i have those. someone modified the transom to fit a particular outboard and destroyed the aluminum strip.

If I can find some aluminum, I could make my own piece. I'm pretty good with metal. just gotta find a source for aluminum.

cheers

barato2

Commander

try Aircraft Spruce for aluminum. not the cheapest place on the web cuz they mostly sell to the homebuilt aircraft market, but very reputable, in biz for many many years and i've been very happy with em.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem with a 1965 14' Starcraft tinny that I am working on.....no transom cap. I had a friend make one out of a heavy gauge aluminum. If the transom was straight across the top there would be no problem bending the metal, but being the "U" shape the aluminum had to be cut for some of the bends which I filled in with "JB weld". The bending also caused some creasing because the cap was bent over both sides of the transom (which works against bending for the "U". Filled that in with some "JB weld" also. It is not a boat for show but for fishing and crabbing, so it works for me. Maybe a thinner gauge aluminum would be easier to work with. Enclosed are some pics. Good luck....hey, you can do it!cap1.jpgcap2.jpgcap3.jpg

pckeen

Commander
Hi, I'm well aware of the rule about not resurrecting old threads, but I had a pig of a time finding the answer to this question. The answer I came up with was to purchase aluminum channel - there are a variety of sources on the web. I figure there will be others looking for a solution, and this was the thread that came up with some answers for me, so here's the source I'll be using for a strip for a Naden, which has roughly 1/8" thick transom skin, and a 1/ 3/8-1 1/2" inch thick transom: https://www.speedymetals.com/Shoppi...-x-18-channel-6063-t52-aluminum-extruded.aspx