18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Tnstratofam

Commander
Did you get the cone off evil bay as well. I need one for my 75hp Chrysler. Your Chief turned out great by the way. I am on the lookout for a Chief for us to rebuild.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So Gibbs you coming to the PNW? The left coast of WA is a world away from the eastside where I live but only about 250 miles.

That new cone looks pretty cool!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Did you get the cone off evil bay as well. I need one for my 75hp Chrysler. Your Chief turned out great by the way. I am on the lookout for a Chief for us to rebuild.

Thanks, I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

And yes, i did find the cone on ebay, i bought it more as a spare since it was so cheap, but with the new prop being black, flare in the black as well i figured it was the least ugly thing to do :lol:

If you need help finding one i should be able to find another.
And these are really nice boats, when you do find one i strongly recommend to build it with seats that will let you stand while driving!

I'm so glad i went with the pedestal seats instead of a box setup.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
So Gibbs you coming to the PNW? The left coast of WA is a world away from the eastside where I live but only about 250 miles.

That new cone looks pretty cool!

It's a possibility, but it comes down to $$.

I figure i will need enough to pay for a place up there, and still be able to pay my mortgage on this house incase it takes a while to rent this place out.

And i might want a slip for the boat... ;)

And yeah, the new flare kinda looks like a ray gun or something :lol:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
I also messaged the seller on ebay that made the starcraft sticker i used on the sides.

He is willing to make replacement decals for that chrysler and my lil kicker. I just need to get some pictures and measurements.

I figure while he is at it, we can change the colors on the stripes a little.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Took the boat to the local pond to try the new prop out...

There was no dock or fee due to the time of the year, so i went for a quick spin leaving the truck in the water.

No cavitation, and i hit 40mph!

The tach tho... While it did not stick, it registered 0 at idle with slight movement letting me know its connected.

The tach read about 4k at 38mph, the range should be 5-5.5k at wot.

So it might be close assuming im only about 1k off on the tach.

Anyways, one battle at a time, glad i resolved the biggest one, i was starting to wonder about the clutch dog thing...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think you found your prop, Gib. :D My tach started acting wonky, too. Turned out the motor wiring connections weren't as tight as they should have been. Just something to check because the symptoms were similar to yours.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
I had expected to get more speed out of a 140hp, but I'm happy with 40mph. :)

And I had adjusted the spring tension inside of the tach to fix the sticking part (was sticking at about 3k), I might of given it a tad to much tension. ;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's great news! :thumb: 40 is a fantastic speed with the design of the Chief, lots of wind resistance and they don't have a hull designed for speed. Also that era of motor is HP rated at the crank not the prop like the new ones.

GA_Boater

Hey Gibbers - We need a Dorm Fridge powered Starcraft in the Completed Boat Projects, Wanna do do one? Tin Rules! ;)

GA_Boater

yeah it's completed'ish :)
I guess I need to condense?

I'll send you a PM with the details and let you you decide, Gibs. Weep'nWilly took about 3 hours and Dozer took about an hour. But Dozer was consuming Wobbly Pops so he had an unfair advantage. :D

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
So i hate the new im system, its super confusing and i think i missed out helping a fellow iboater.

jbcurt00

Staff member
So i hate the new im system, its super confusing and i think i missed out helping a fellow iboater.

Absolutely not. Handled ;)

The notifications (or lack there of) for the PM system is 1 of the few things I don't care for. Just had to get in the habit of checking them frequently :facepalm:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Well over Christmas I was chatting with my father-in-law's friend, whom is a corvette owner, the next week I was driving by a pretty red 91 corvette convertible so we stopped, I was surprised by the price of the year and started doing a little shopping, and ended up with a few finalist options, so I bought a carfax account and started looking deeper, right as I kept getting hit with "totaled, wrecks over 1k front and back, ect" on the ones the wife liked the most I ran into this baby.

131231-1404015493-836690_zps1ff24a84.jpg

Original paint, 100k original miles, original tape deck :lol:, original everything, carfax says I'm #4 owner, prev owner before me having the car for about 2 years, and at least one year of that it sat in a barn since their son did not want to work (obvious drug problem, like you could see the drug problem @ 200yards :facepalm: )...

I walked away from the sale orig, leaving with a low ball offer, however I had gotten him down quite a bit... carfax made me re-think... :rolleyes:

When I contacted them a second time I noticed a note, stating to call this other number, this is where I got the guy mom, and the real story on the car... and helped my decision as I could not get a straight answer out of the son for the life of me, lied to me left and right...

So tin boats and a fiberglass car is ok right? :lol:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well over Christmas I was chatting with my father-in-law's friend, whom is a corvette owner, the next week I was driving by a pretty red 91 corvette convertible so we stopped, I was surprised by the price of the year and started doing a little shopping, and ended up with a few finalist options, so I bought a carfax account and started looking deeper, right as I kept getting hit with "totaled, wrecks over 1k front and back, ect" on the ones the wife liked the most I ran into this baby.

131231-1404015493-836690_zps1ff24a84.jpg

Original paint, 100k original miles, original tape deck :lol:, original everything, carfax says I'm #4 owner, prev owner before me having the car for about 2 years, and at least one year of that it sat in a barn since their son did not want to work (obvious drug problem, like you could see the drug problem @ 200yards :facepalm: )...

I walked away from the sale orig, leaving with a low ball offer, however I had gotten him down quite a bit... carfax made me re-think... :rolleyes:

When I contacted them a second time I noticed a note, stating to call this other number, this is where I got the guy mom, and the real story on the car... and helped my decision as I could not get a straight answer out of the son for the life of me, lied to me left and right...

So tin boats and a fiberglass car is ok right? :lol:

Does it have a hitch? šŸ˜ƒ