18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
After a long time searching I finally found a cuddy for a lot less than I thought I could score one for :D

Seller listed this for $500 with a good trailer, outboard model, and previous registration in hand.

I went in planning on making an offer around $200-$250, but started out at $300 and he accepted with out blinking... :facepalm: man I wish I started @ $200!

Anyways here she is.
DSCF0419.jpg

Edited to add year: 1963

Last edited:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft Starchief OB Rebuild

I love these old boats with their super supported transoms :D
DSCF0429.jpg

Stack of old reg stickers stacked on the side of the boat, I tried to get a number but there are just to many...
DSCF0431.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

And I tried and failed to locate the Starcraft ID tag, last attempt to find per Jay was under this.
DSCF0428.jpg

That sucker was on there good!
No ID tag found :(
DSCF0441.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Nice Alumnimum tank, full of fuel! (stinky really old fuel...)
DSCF0427.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Neat Transom plate!
DSCF0426.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

When removing bolts, water started leaking out... this boat has not seen water since late 2009
DSCF0430.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Transom plate removed, it had lots of glue holding it on....
very solid!
And it was fit so well it looked like it was made for the boat
DSCF0436.jpg

Under the transom plate
DSCF0435.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Working on floor...
DSCF0440.jpg

DSCF0438.jpg

DSCF0437.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, you got the disease, Gib. :D Looks like you'll be working on this one for a while but the starting price is good.

Psst - I think most of the Merc O/B fell off on the way home. LOL

dozerII

Admiral

Great score Gib, looks like it will be a real nice boat. That is a real bomb proof transom.
Glen

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

After getting it home I noticed some patches on the bottom of the boat
One was on a rib, pulled it off and I found a drain hole for the channel :rolleyes:

The other two I decided to not touch until I had the floor out

The bad
DSCF0444.jpg

DSCF0443.jpg

The good
I contacted a welder that has some experience welding up aluminum boats.
He can do it at the end of next month for $50 an hr + materials
He expects it to be around $150-$200 and plans on welding the hold up, and installing a plate over the top.

And the Flash makes the hole look way worse than it really is, it's actually pretty clean.

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice find there Gib, and can't beat the price. I'll be following along. Any ideas as to what you will be hoping to hang off the back for power?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, you got the disease, Gib. :D Looks like you'll be working on this one for a while but the starting price is good.

Psst - I think most of the Merc O/B fell off on the way home. LOL

Yes it did :facepalm:

lol

Great score Gib, looks like it will be a real nice boat. That is a real bomb proof transom.
Glen

I think this will be a very fun boat, and I love how they over built these oldies
Nice find there Gib, and can't beat the price. I'll be following along. Any ideas as to what you will be hoping to hang off the back for power?

Right now I'm thinking about the merc 65hp that's sitting on the Jet, but I'm going to try and get the merc 80hp I have running, I think it would be a better fit.

and for a kicker motor, the spare Merc 20hp I think would work perfect, and I have everything needed to make it electric start :D

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

And it sucks that I have to wait a month and a half to get this welded up, but it will give me lots of time to get everything gathered up, flooring fitted, sealed, transom work on paint stripping.

That Teal... I just cannot get useto it.

barato2

Commander

dude, you're flying though that thing! is someone a little INSPIRED by their new boat? ;)

you could also paint the topside in the interim if you aren't wild on faded teal. just remember that an alum cabin in the sun turns into an oven fast and consider that when you choose color

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

dude, you're flying though that thing! is someone a little INSPIRED by their new boat? ;)

you could also paint the topside in the interim if you aren't wild on faded teal. just remember that an alum cabin in the sun turns into an oven fast and consider that when you choose color

Yeah, I was only digging into the boat to find the ID tag, after drilling out those rivets holding the plate on (funny note: it was part of an old sign), went through a few beers, and then the floor was out!

The boat also had some neat gauges; speedomter, clock, and a barometer, and all matching, and I have a tach from a parts boat that is part of the same set :D

I also have to finish the Nova... lol

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Cool:D

I don't believe we have seen one of the Starchief's of this vintage put back together, that I can remember anyway.

Have fun:)

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Cool:D

I don't believe we have seen one of the Starchief's of this vintage put back together, that I can remember anyway.

Have fun:)

Thanks, this boat is pretty cool.

I refer to it as "the Ship"

My wife was pretty upset at me the day I bought it.

That following morning I made boat type sounds *ding ding ding ding t00t t00t* to wake her up.
And through the day I sent her txt messages with that.

I had her laughing a little, and she has warmed up to the idea of a cruiser and is ok with it as long as one of the boats leaves the yard one day. :D

I was also thinking about stripping the top side, polishing and calling good.
but that might get a little bright/blinding.

barato2

Commander

not to mention hot....

i love that story. "then i woke up and there was nothing in the bottom of the boat but me and a bunch of empty bottles....":eek::cool:

good job trying to do PR with the Admiral. it's only your 3d project boat, why was she upset?:rolleyes:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

not to mention hot....

i love that story. "then i woke up and there was nothing in the bottom of the boat but me and a bunch of empty bottles....":eek::cool:

good job trying to do PR with the Admiral. it's only your 3d project boat, why was she upset?:rolleyes:

I know right!

I even got one of them done (mostly)! :cool: