I'm back, 78' SS resto

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Howdy all,

Started my project here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=474630 , but thought I would start a thread in here to hopefully finish it up.

I hadn't touched it for almost a year until today, just got to busy last summer to do any more.

I got all the bolts out of the transom, and pulled it out.

I took the rails, front light, horn, control cables, and wiring harness off

I flipped it off of the trailer, then decided I needed it closer to the water hydrant.

Then finally a pic of my (almost) bare bottom

I used a quart of Zip Strip to get this far and just blew it off with the pressure washer, I think I'll get some aircraft paint stripper to use on the rest.

-Jeff

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I'm back, 78' SS resto

Looks like you have a good start, DF, keep at 'er...pics are appreciated around here.:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

Just get a mod to combine the threads, you'll want it all together from start to finish. Even w/ the break since last May, it is nice to see the project from all it's rough & horrible interior start through until it's back in service & looking great!

IMHO

Finishing it slowly is still finishing.....

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you've picked the torch back up man! Look forward to following the progress.

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,

I didn't get to work on it today, but I did do a little shopping. I bought some more stripper to try and ordered some shark-hyde polish. I also picked up some SS bolts and nuts to replace a few broken rivets. I also hope to get some gluvit ordered tonight. I priced some plywood a few places, but didn't like what they had in stock. So now my questions for tonight: Should I go with 2 pieces of 3/4" or 3 pieces of 1/2" for the transom? The only arucu (spelling?) brand plywood I can find is 11/32" will it be to thin for the deck?

Thanks, Jeff

jbcurt00

Staff member

So now my questions for tonight: Should I go with 2 pieces of 3/4" or 3 pieces of 1/2" for the transom? The only arucu (spelling?) brand plywood I can find is 11/32" will it be to thin for the deck?

It will be more work & more glue using 1/2" for a transom, but do-able. I'd definitely shy away from 11/32 for the deck, 15/32 is as thin as I'd want to use w/ only 2 stringers. I would lean toward the 5/8" for the deck, slightly thicker, as apposed to the 'much' thicker 3/4"....

MDO is exterior rated plywood. Looks like a brown grocery bag on the exterior faces of the plywood. And it has 'regular' looking plywood laminations as a core.

NOT MDF
, the chewed up sawdust glued together stuff that inexpensive assemble yourself furniture in a box is made of:
images
Kind of a 1/2" thick paperbag construction

barato2

Commander

Jeff--

JB is right on, altho i think he;'s being generous on 15/32 being enough for a deck. doubled 11/32, though, will give you 22/32, just shy of the 23/32 they sell as 3/4" these days . only problem would be that it would likely cost a lot more to do it that way since i bet the sheets well over 1/2 the price of 23/32. but i can't believe that some lowes/Homedespot/etc in your area wouldn't carry the thicker stuff.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I actually need to pay more attention when replying to a post...

Your hull is bigger then any of mine & I used the ply thicknesses I'll be dealing w/: 1/2 would be ok for mine, it's what was there originally, but I'll probably use 5/8"....

But for you really should go w/ 23/32 like Barato2 suggested.... Esp w/ the wide center span, over the fuel tank, between the 2 stringers, that's the widest span, and is were most people will be walking & standing.....

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,

My deck was 1/2" originally, I just don't know how solid it was when new. My thought on using 3 sheets of 1/2" for the transom, the scraps could be used elsewhere in the boat, dash, seating, ect.

My update for today, had about 10 mins to work on it today, found a little steel wool and elbow grease make the stripper work a lot better.

Also found a previous repair, looks like a missing rivet has been welded.

Thanks, Jeff

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got some more stripping done.

Still have some primer on the sides that need to come off

So I am going for a bare polished bottom, but my keel is pretty beat up. I am thinking about using coat-it to paint and seal the keel and up a little ways on the bow piece. I might get a gallon and use it on the inside in place of gluvit. Has anyone used coat-it?

I found some aroucu ply at Menards, neither my Lowes or Home Depot carry it. So looking ahead I'll be putting carpet back down on the deck, what is the recommended plywood sealer with carpet that the carpet glue will stick to?

Thanks, Jeff

barato2

Commander

one cool thing about the vinyl is that you can have removable carpet that just drops in (on the rare occasions when one is not fishing)

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's three little girls, the admiral and I. Not gonna be a whole lot of fishing, more of a watersports/cruising boat.

Thanks, Jeff

barato2

Commander

one uses a boat for something other than fishing???! i'm SHOCKED, simply SHOCKED i tell you... ;)

yeah, sounds like carpet is the call. i could see kids skinning knees if they did fall on the vinyl due to texture, which won't be an issue with carpet.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, the Admiral around these parts, likes to take her pink Shakespeare wally world combo fishing all the time:cool:

More accurately she drowns the worms I hook, and drags the bream out of the water for me to unhook & release:facepalm:

But I'm OK w/ all that ^^^;)

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Menards has there 11% off this week, I think I'll pick up some plywood. How many sheets will I need for the consoles, dashboards, gunwails, and bow seating? I need 4 form my deck and should have some large scraps left from it.

Thanks, Jeff

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did some shopping Sunday 2 sheets of 3/4", 6 sheets of 1/2" and a sheet of 1/4" there is also 5 sheets of 3/4" for dads pontoon/floating dock

What should I use to glue the transom?

I was under the boat checking some rivets and saw light coming through the transom skin in some strange places, looks like I'll need to add jb weld to the shopping list.

Thanks, Jeff

barato2

Commander

that Titebond will work just fine. i'd use some countersunk stainless #10x 1 1/4" screws to "clamp" it in the center where the clamps can't reach

Dirt_Farmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Titebond it will be.

I know my paint stripping pics are so exciting, but just a few more.

It's stripped, spent a couple hours today with an sos pad and lots of elbow grease. I was using rustolium aircraft stripper in a spray can, it was so hot the stripper would quit working in about 30 seconds. Spray a little, scrub a lot, spray a little, scrub a lot. It won't be on my recommended list. I'm happy to say it's done, ready for polish, coat-it on the keel, and shark hide. Then I need to decide if I'm fixing my trailer or finding something better to flip it back over on and start going back together.

A couple spots I hand polished on this side to see what it would look like

Thanks, Jeff