anyone put the Moeller 25 gallon tank under the splashwell of an 18'?

barato2

Commander
i'm looking at fuel tanks. the usual replacement for the 18 gal Tempo tank that came under the splashwell of many 18' outboard SCs is Moeller #35927, which is about the same dimensions as the original: 18.25Lx36Wx7.25H

Moeller also makes a 25 gallon tank, #39537, with similar dimensions except for the width: 18x47x7.5.

i'd like to go with this one if there's a chance it will fit. i'm moving both batteries under the center console and installing a 19 gal tank in the bow area, so i'm not worried about weight distribution with the extra 7 gallons in the stern. anyone ever installed one of these?

thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: anyone put the Moeller 25 gallon tank under the splashwell of an 18'?

Actually have tried it in my '73 Starcraft Mariner CC, but decided against it for my final installation.

It completely blocks access to the bilge, bilge pump, steering and control cables. It made everything pretty crowded under there.

The final straw being the Merc Tower I purchased has the external ( in hull ) trim pump, so I had to make room for it.

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another option B2 is to have a plastic tank custom made, I looked at having one made several years ago for a different boat and found it cheaper to have it made from aluminum. That way the tank fits exactly in place.

barato2

Commander

the problem with custom tanks is the $$$$$. otherwise i'd be there. but i'm estimating abt $600 to do it that way...twice what i paid for the boat, but such metrics go out the window with a $300 bottom feeder tinnie.

Roscoe, you just answered my Q in grand style. thanks. guess i'll forego the extra 7 gal and get the stock size. i'm putting a second tank just forward of the below-dash bulkhead so i'll have another 19 gal there. ironically, the 2 tanks will add up to only abt $40 more than the single underfloor 18 gal would have. sux tho, to not be able to put a tank down there.....low CG, and flotation as it empties out!