A Stainless Steel Starcraft ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

64osby

Admiral
I was checking out CL and found this.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/2950959711.html

Starcraft row boat, 11 foot 6 inches in length. Includes a Montgomery Ward trailer. Boat is registered through 2013. This is a very unusual boat in that it is not made from aluminum, but is made from real stainless steel. It is of fully welded construction, with no rivets and it has no leaks. The boat has wooden gunwales and seats that I replaced with cedar about five years ago. The stern and bow fittings are made of cast aluminum and bear the Starcraft star image.

5Ib5L95Hf3G63Ne3H4c4af35d032eb18317da.jpg

5Nd5Jd5M73G13I73J4c4ac9d5ffcad26e108b.jpg

5Lc5G25M73Ic3Nb3H3c4a1f1a6c742207138f.jpg

It doesn't look like like a Starcraft to me. What do you guys think?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: A Stainless Steel Starcraft ???

I agree, it does not look very Starcraft-ish and that ceder wood looks terrible! I've heard of magnesium being used (Dow Chemical made a few in the '40's) but not stainless...it would be HEAVY!

64osby

Admiral

Chief - His Ceder replacement wood does look terrible and agree it's not a Starcraft. Kind of interesting, but not enough to buy it.

Maybe if it was titanium or platinum. Still makes me wonder who would make a Stainless boat.

12Star

Recruit

Hello all--
Just to let you know, I purchased the stainless steel Starcraft that was on Craigs List. Yes, it IS stainless steel! Yes, it IS heavy!
I plan to restore the gunwales and seats to as close as original as I can. Will be using it at outboard motor shows with period motors.
Have not yet found much information about this model of Starcraft. Tried to contact Starcraft with no success, does anyone know how to reach them?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Hello all--
Just to let you know, I purchased the stainless steel Starcraft that was on Craigs List. Yes, it IS stainless steel! Yes, it IS heavy!
I plan to restore the gunwales and seats to as close as original as I can. Will be using it at outboard motor shows with period motors.
Have not yet found much information about this model of Starcraft. Tried to contact Starcraft with no success, does anyone know how to reach them?

Welcome aboard 12Star!! Is there a Coast Guard plate anywhere? I hate to say it, but she does not really look like a Starcraft. Either way, welcome to Iboats!

12Star

Recruit

There is no manufacturer's plate left, but there is a state registration which lists it as a 1940, 12 ft. steel Starcraft. In addition, it has the typical Starcraft stars on the cast aluminum bow and transom caps.

64osby

Admiral

12Star - Welcome to the site and that's an interesting boat. Show us the work your doing. You picked one up that has lasted generations and will last many more.

What do you think that boat weighs? It will be interesting to learn the capacity and HP rating.

Starcraft 1 866 772 4538 Starman says Steve is the guy to talk to.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

barato2

Commander

your model would be the "Shiningstar"

as distinguished from the magnesium hull "Supernova" :eek:

12Star

Recruit

Update on the boat:
Found out that it is a 1952-1954 boat. They made 12 and 14 footers during this era. Its restoration has begun to get ready for the antique outboard shows this summer.
Thanks all!

Birchie

Recruit

Hello All-

We purchased a lodge and have about 10 steel starcraft boats. Some are 12' some are 14'. We are hoping to get them all back in the water. So far two have been cleaned up and painted the traditonal lodge colors. Does anyone know what colors they were originally? Found an ad on ebay that looks like ours it is from 1952. Here is a photo of one of ours.017 (800x533).jpg

64osby

Admiral

Birchie, looks great, but a little like Christmas. Sorry can't help with original colors. Keep up the nice work fixing them up and please show us how they turn out.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Birchie, where is your lodge??? That boat looks good, great in fact.
Hello All-

We purchased a lodge and have about 10 steel starcraft boats. Some are 12' some are 14'. We are hoping to get them all back in the water. So far two have been cleaned up and painted the traditonal lodge colors. Does anyone know what colors they were originally? Found an ad on ebay that looks like ours it is from 1952. Here is a photo of one of ours.View attachment 167147

jbcurt00

Staff member

your model would be the "Shiningstar" as distinguished from the magnesium hull "Supernova" :eek:

I missed this thread in April, but did find this:

Starcrafta50001.jpg

Birchie

Recruit

Hey Birchie, where is your lodge??? That boat looks good, great in fact.

Hi,

Thanks! Not sure if it is ok to give out our name on this forum, don't want to promo the business, but we are in Trout Lake, MI. Some of them need quite a bit of work, but we love them, and think they go with our place perfectly.
This is the ad I came across. 1952 Starcraft Ad (800x717).jpg

Lee Toniolo

Cadet

Hello all--
You still have it. I have the same exact boat as pictured

Status
Not open for further replies.