CMC & 18Ft SS

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
Anoyone out there with a 18' SS and a CMC PT&T? I just picked one up and wanted to know what hole spacings others were using and the performance they were seeing . I plan on starting off about 1" above the keel as a safe bet, but if others have any suggestions please send them my way! BTW, I'm running a '74 Johnson 115 w/ 13x19p OEM SS prop and a typical load for the boat.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: CMC & 18Ft SS

Anoyone out there with a 18' SS and a CMC PT&T? I just picked one up and wanted to know what hole spacings others were using and the performance they were seeing . I plan on starting off about 1" above the keel as a safe bet, but if others have any suggestions please send them my way! BTW, I'm running a '74 Johnson 115 w/ 13x19p OEM SS prop and a typical load for the boat.

do you mean a jack plate?

cant see anything special about a PT&T....most motors have em anyway.....no extra performance gains, just convienient adjustment over a manual TNT.

if it was me, id mount the motor-jackplate-transom combination in a way that 1-1.5" above the keel is the LOWEST setting.

whats the set back(if it is a jack plate?)

bob

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Bob, its a aftermarket pt&t unit with a 6" offset, not a jack plate. Based on everything I've read, I decided to set the motor anti ventilation plate 1" above the keel.

Here is a photo for reference

IMAG0448.jpg

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure for the set up for the 18 SS but I have mine on a 16 Sea Nymph with a 50 hp. I have mine set up like yours. Here is a thread i started a while back that may help ya out. Did you use any stress plates when installing? One thing I have ran across was Huron Angler has the same unit and was having trouble adjusting the unit while under speed. I mentioned it too him to see if he discovered a solution or a reason but he states he has yet to reinstall it on his restore. Here is that thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=425273

Here is mine on the CMC install... never really took off but it may help http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=491120

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well then, just try the 1" above the keel set up and run it...then move up one hole at a time and try again....as soon as it cavitates on plane...move back down one hole...

the set back should allow you to mount slightly higher than other wise normal

bob