Composite Decking, Yea or Neah

benemack76

Recruit
All,

I've been reading the threads/posts here for some time now. I may have even missed this question, or it could have come up buried in another post. What's the thoughts on composite decking like used on a residential porch? I would think it'll stand up better to the weather and UV rays without needing to be sealed, painted, glassed, etc.

One only drawback could possibly be trying to cut each board to the proper length as each would be different until you get to the centerline. Is a weight maybe a factor. I know plywood's not exactly light.

I'm hoping to re-deck and restorify my early 70s 21' Mariner CC this spring.

Thanks,

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Composite Decking, Yea or Neah

I do know there are strength is different detween wood and composate decking. for the cost if composate decking materials you could use other fiberglass coring materials and build a lighter fiberglass reinforced deck, check out express composates in minneapolis. They can assist you in a selection of coring material options.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi benemack, In my experience with composite decking, the material is relatively weak for its weight. Using it in structural places such as a deck where it's required to bridge support points may require sufficient thickness for strength such that you'll be adding too much weight. I think it's much heavier than plywood of similar strength, though I don't have specs for proof. It is an excellent choice though as you have surmised for withstanding the weather. I used it in a thin layer on the foredeck of my Starcraft Holiday. I might use some more yet for step plates on the gunwales. See the link below to get you to more pictures and description of how I used it. - Grandad

107_0766Reduced.jpg

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Composite decking is way heavier than plywood, and as the others said it is not very structurally strong. It probably is strong enough that it wouldn't fail in a boat floor application, but it would probably not stay flat. It is also recommended to have good ventilation under it, so under floor foam in any form would probably not be a good idea. It would be easy to keep clean though.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I put composit decking and steps on my rear deck of the house. That stuff gets very slick and slimy if moss is a problem. I removed ot this winter and went with wood treated with thompson seal. Right also about the stregenth compared to wood of equal thickness.