1990 starcraft select 150

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslu

Seaman
Two years ago I purchased a used 1990 Starcraft Select 150 bow rider with a fiberglass hull.
It looks like it was all part of a "promotional" package with an excellent 1990 P1030581_1.JPGgalvanized trailer with Starcraft Logos complete with a 1990 60 Hp merc engine with tilt and trim. At that time Starcraft was part of Brunswick Corp, as was Merc I believe.
I have looked all over the internet and have yet to see another one like it.
Anyone out there have one?
I am quite impressed with the quality of the whole package.

Thanks,

John

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 starcraft select 150

That's a nice looking boat John.Does the Merc have Starcraft logos on it?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Sharp looking Starcraft you got there. Got anymore pictures?

jslu

Seaman

rheagler

No, it does not

John

jslu

Seaman

Bwana Don
Here are more pictures. Also of note, this is a 15 foot boat and I have replaced the 60 HP Merc with a more sedate and economical 35 HP Merc.

John

Attachments

• 06_1.jpg
    06_1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010765_1.jpg
    P1010765_1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2

jleshe447

Recruit

Hi! I also just bought a 1990 Starcraft Select 150! It's also red. It came with a 75 hp Merc and a Starcraft trailer.
Runs great. Will be putting it in water for first time this weekend.

I am wondering if anyone has info on where to look for covers and/or bimini tops. I don't have any framework, but
would really like to get a cover on it.

Thanks for any information in advance!!

Jennifer from Maine

jslu

Seaman

Hello Jennifer from Maine,

I purchased my Starcraft Select 150 from a previous owner in Steep Falls, Maine ( Sebago Lake Area). For price comparison, I looked extensively on Craig's List nationally afterwards to see who else might have one for sale. Could not find any! So I was quite surprised to read your reply to my post and even more surprised to learn that yours is in Maine also and is, coincidentally, red.

Mine came with a full mooring cover, so I have not had to search for one.

Can you share with me where you were able to find your Starcraft?

John

Hi! I also just bought a 1990 Starcraft Select 150! It's also red. It came with a 75 hp Merc and a Starcraft trailer.
Runs great. Will be putting it in water for first time this weekend.

I am wondering if anyone has info on where to look for covers and/or bimini tops. I don't have any framework, but
would really like to get a cover on it.

Thanks for any information in advance!!

Jennifer from Maine

Last edited:

jleshe447

Recruit

Beautiful little craft. Runs like a dream too!

Attachments

• Starcraft.jpg
    Starcraft.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 2

bdplayer81

Recruit

I know this post is more than a year old but I thought I would reply. I inherited a Starcraft Select 150 from my parents this year. It has a 60hp Mariner on it which runs great. Although the 60hp is a little small for the boat when you have four adults in it. The transom is pretty well shot on it as well. Whoever owned the boat before my parents (they bought it 14 years ago) decided to put an aftermarket ladder on the back and screwed it into the hull. Not a bad idea until the seals start leaking and the wood starts to rot. Anyway, I thought I would comment how nice these boats are. Mine is blue, though. I have decided I'm going to convert it to more of a fish n' ski model. I've made the front cushions removable and am building a fishing platform for the bow. My biggest projects are to get the transom in good order and fix some of the floor.

barato2

Commander

yer a brave man to dive into a glasser tranny job. but you have your priorities right. good example of how one small previous-owner mod can years later screw up the whole boat.

bdplayer81

Recruit

I'm thinking I'm only going to keep the boat for another five years at most so I'm not going to do a full out replacement on the transom. It's a time consuming project to do on my own and pretty expensive to have someone do professionally. I was quoted about $2,500 to have it replaced at a shop here in Madison, WI. I probably use the boat two maybe three times a year so I'm not real worried about a catastrophic failure. I'm just going to do some reinforcing from the inside and call it good for now. If it comes down to me wanting to keep it long(er) term I'll have the transom done by someone who knows what they're doing.

barato2

Commander

I probably use the boat two maybe three times a year so I'm not real worried about a catastrophic failure.

not sure i understand this part, cept that you only have 2-3 chances a year to have it fail catastrophically? honestly, EVERYONE who's done a transom here has found that it was a lot worse inside than it originally looked....and those are on tinnies, where the moisture can evaporate. if you do go this route, drill a bunch of test holes down low on the inside and see what the wood is like...you can fill em with epoxy (glue type) later if trans is OK. you may find you have either a project or donor boat, and a lot of mulch. sorry to sound negative but this is one area where 1) rot is near ubiquitous and 2) boats sink and people may die if you get it wrong. be sure before you launch.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^ B2's accurate.

This transom was 'tested' and deemed sound, shortly before a failed launch attempt:
attachment.jpg

Please don't gamble on a questionable transom.

BTW: IMHO rarely using the boat increases the likelihood of having a problem when you do. Using the boat weekly, you hopefully would notice small changes in how the boat checks out when you inspect it prior to launch. Giving you the opportunity to catch a problem before it becomes any worse. Use the boat rarely, and if you miss anything during a pre-launch inspection, the boat may not carry you safely back to the dock if anything waterlogged has begun to rot.

Fiberglass boats get wet wood that rots, even while fully encapsulated in fiberglass.

If you'd like to start a thread about inspection & testing your transom, please do so.

Are the other people you let aboard aware that the transom isn't sound?

Boat & boat resto safely, wear your PFD's.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
John, I'm buying the same boat in one week. How do you like it? (still have it?)
Dan

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

John hasnt commented here since 2012 and hasnt been on iboats since 9/2016.

Not likely to get or respond to your query.

Dont reply to inactive topics, after 90days, if you wamt to reach the member, send them a PM, perhaps they'll be notified and reply.

Notice the helpful tips at the top of the page

Status
Not open for further replies.