1968 Starcraft Jupiter - Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Top notch work there Jim. Did you give the young Capt the helm for real? That'd be the highlight of his summer!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man I'm really liking those controls, very nice work on the Jup! :thumb:

InMotion

Commander
Thanks fellas! Yup... the little fella got to drive it... but with me in the seat as he drove! Loves it!!! :)

Have a great summer fellas!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
Looks like you had a great holiday Jim and worked out the cover problems. The 35 looks real sharp and it sounds like it does the job real well.
Sent you a pm.

InMotion

Commander
Thanks Glen! Great holiday for sure... looking forward to 2 more weeks in a couple!

Got the PM!

J.

InMotion

Commander
Ok... after a summer of use of the "Juniper" :)... with the 35.... I a ready to admit it is too light. It is fine with the Admiral and I. But with 4 adults, 2 kids and 4 dogs it will plane out, but you need a day-timer to plan the event! It takes half the lake to get going and the heaven forbid slowing down is required!... the whole process begins anew!

So... I have ordered a late 90's rebuilt 60 or 70 Johnson from my motor guy for the late spring delivery. The 35 goes.

Couple of things to note... with the 24 gallon tank out of the bow area, the boat rides rougher of the waves, but does not porpuse when the motor is trimmed up even slightly. I could trim the 35 up a lot. However, even with the 35 trimmed all the way tight in, any corner, the 35 propped out. As it turns out, because the 35 runs a 10" diameter prop vs the 60/70/90 13 3/4" diameter prop (90 might have been a 14"), the difference means that the 35 props out all the time and the 90 never did.

So there you have it... a 60 or 70 will grace the boat for next summer. Gas tank(s) will be in the stern. Gas consumption will be less than the 90 but a little more than the 35.

Have a great one fellas!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
I guess they call this fine tuning! I was thinking that 35 would just not satisfy your need for power in the long run.

InMotion

Commander
For a couple no problem! For a all of us... just not cutting it.... gotta know when to cut bait. Love the 35... smooth as silk and uber quite. Just felt it struggled to get the boat out of the way of itself at times.

J.

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey IM, love, love, love your dash! I've been going through this thread to see how you did it. We are going to keep the tray, I need a place to keep my readers.

InMotion

Commander
Hey Memph --- thanks man! Thanks for the compliments!!! All the best with your build!!!!

Glen --- cool idea.... guy at work uses those and loves them! Really handy...

J.

InMotion

Commander
Hey Fellas,

Alright... I have been a little radio silent... catching up on a number of long over due projects, work etc etc....

Ok... so coming next week will be a newer motor for this one... I know it's been a while since this post has been updated... but I thought I'd let you guys know that the Jup is going to get a 1996 rebuilt 70 Evinrude!

The 35 propped out on virtually any corner as it has a 10" prop... the 70 I believe has a 13 3/4" prop. The 35 was fine with a person or two... but too light with 6 people and 4 dogs!

I am actually keeping the 35 for a future project in the coming year or two.... :)

I will post some pics in a week and a bit once I get it on the boat!

Stay tuned.

Till then... safe boating all....

Jim

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Now we're talkin Jim! :madgrin:

'96...that thing should be just hitting puberty! I wonder if a VRO did it in before the rebuild? :noidea:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome back, IM. Glad you cleared the shop to work on the Jup. A 70 should move her along smartly! :D

InMotion

Commander
Thanks fellas! Looking forward to it myself!!!

Definitely will post some pics and perhaps a video of it as well!!!

Jim

InMotion

Commander
Got the 70 installed this weekend! Runs great! Really is the right motor for the boat. Cruises great in the 25 to 32 mph range --- although I did not open it up as it is a new powerhead/pistons/etc. So it needs to break in for a while.
IMG_0545_zps5e78987d.jpg IMG_0547_zpsb3428715.jpg

IMG_0551_zps12c98ca0.jpg

Another interesting thing... when I had the 24 gallon gas tank up front --- which was original... the boat porpused (sp) badly... I basically had to run the motor fully trimmed in. The motor could maintain enough lift to keep the front end up. This was limiting and produced some interesting ride results.

Now with the tank gone and the lighter motor on the back I can run it trimmed in, out or anywhere in between with no issues. Basically, it works now.

Have a great one fellas!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
Looks great Jim, glad to see her back out on the water and the family enjoying the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.