1966 Starcraft Chieftian 22' cuddy

66 cuddy

Recruit
I have been watching and reading the StarCraft threads for some time now, what a great group of people. The persistence, dedication and love for these boats are remarkable. You guys ROCK!!!
Late last year I too became a StarCraft owner. My boat buddy said ?I have your boat" I said, it's November who wants to buy a boat with winter coming? Silly me. I met with the owner, he was the second, and I?m now the third. He had owned it for more than 15 years and had his fill, now it was time to pass the torch.

Honestly it needed little work, he complained it did not preforme well a full throttle, he thought it needed a valve job. So like any normal human the first thing i did was rip the head off without thinking he diagnosed his problem correctly. Got the head to my shop ?30 years in the automotive machine shop? and inspected it thoroughly, found very little wrong & could not confirm a valve or spring issue, like he suspected. Got the head on and all buttoned up, then you know, it won't start. ARG!!! Long story shortened, after multiple hours fighting the distributer I acquired an old factory unmolested distributer with points. She fired right up, what a relief. You know how it is when things go wrong for too long.
More info to come.

So I'll try to load some pictures tonight......
Enjoy

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Starcraft Chieftian 22' cuddy

OK, lets see what ya got!

Cheers:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That boat is too sweet to have the pics seperated from this thread.
I gotta support our fellow I/O guys..
Welcome Aboard

66cuddys.jpg

66cuddys1.jpg

barato2

Commander

that thing looks gorgeous!

distributor wear (sticking advance, wobbling shaft) could easily cause full throttle issues

good luck debugging and keep us posted. ask any Qs you have; someone else has had em too

bienvenidos

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That boat looks great!

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great to have another Cheif in the group. Good looking boat.
I picked up a whole new distributer for $100 from Michigan motorz when I bought a new 3.0 in 2007.
the guy said I could use my old dist. (1971) or for an extra $100 a brand new one. I went for the new one.
I did have to pull the resistor out of the system.
Runs great especially since I got my tach problem figured out. I was running under prop for a few years.