Newbie and his 12' Sea Scamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Newbie with what I think is a 12' Runabout?

Holy Giant Pictures!!!! Can a mod resize or do I need to repost the pics?

So, not to bad of a snag for 300 bucks. Again, got both motors, the trailer, a new battery, the two oars and swivel flat mounted seats. Now to get the motor running, then sand down that pealing paint and check for leaks. The Minn Kota runs just fine with the new battery.

Can't wait to get this puppy sea worthy! Okay, more like small lake and pond worthy, but you get the drift!

Thanks for the help Guys!

~Nick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Post up your motor questions about that motor in the "Other outboards" section. There are some gurus in there that should be able to help you. Beware though, that thing is about as obsolete as they come so I wouldn't sink much money into it. Nice boat and trailer though and I think it'll clean up really nicely. Still did well for $300.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks ez. The only reason I am putting time into the motor is because its almost a dead relic. The boat is from the late 60's and the motor the late 70's. It would be cool for my first resto to be old school. :)

Plus as far as I am concerned I got the motor for free, so I can tinker with it before I actually pay for a real one. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, this is my first foray into ANY type of motor and only my second boat.

I did start a thread in the Outboard section and have figured out that part of the reed plate is missing. We will see how much they are to replace (if I can even find one) or build one for myself...

Back to the boat though. Ez and the other pro's around here: Do you think its worth the time and effort to sand the entire boat down, check for leaks, gluvit etc? Or should I just clean it up a bit and look for a larger boat to waste/enjoy my time on? Is there any market for these small fishing boats once they are redone?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There's always a market for small fishing boats. The only issue will be if it's too small for you or not. When my dad was looking I told him to only look at 14' or greater. You'll decide once you get it on the water. It's totally usable as-is. First step would probably be to powerwash the heck out of that interior.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

There's always a market for small fishing boats. The only issue will be if it's too small for you or not. When my dad was looking I told him to only look at 14' or greater. You'll decide once you get it on the water. It's totally usable as-is. First step would probably be to powerwash the heck out of that interior.

I think that is what I am going to do first. A good scrubbing and see if its even going to work for me.

Neeco, did you ever get your boat powered up? I have a 1978 12' Starcraft just like yours, and wondering how much I can put on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.