1979 16' Starcraft SS - I did it again!

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, bought this today and pick it up tomorrow! :)

I will now have a 16' and a 18' in the driveway. My 18' has some issues with its 90 HP and this boat is SO well maintained with an 85HP already on it!! Now, to keep both, sell one, or find a 21' next to add to the collection? :)

More pics coming after I bring her home, load up the necessities and GET IT ON THE WATER! YEAH!

Chuck

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 16' Starcraft SS - I did it again!

Oh man chuckn, that rig looks cherry in those photos buddy! Congrats!

So is this Starcraft really a gas n' go boating set up? Wow:D:D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Man, that is one nice looking boat! Love the color & design on the sides. Looks great, good find.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on making a collection! I love this boat as it looks exactly like mine except its yellow. When you get on the water please post speeds with that v4 85 hp engine. Looks clean as a whistle. Great looking rig!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks pretty familiar to me:D

Looks to be 100% original and in great condition, nice find.

If possible could you post up some closer shots of the interior, I'm curious what my port side dash and steering wheel looked like from the factory. Does it have the SuperSport badge on the console?

Good luck with the new rig:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful boat. Congrats! However I do hesitate to recommend replacing your 18' with it. The 18s are more substantial in every way and I think you may regret it.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful boat. Congrats! However I do hesitate to recommend replacing your 18' with it. The 18s are more substantial in every way and I think you may regret it.

I hear ya and having them both in the driveway it's real clear where the 18 and 16 differ. Even on the water on Sunday I could tell the difference BUT the family REALLY enjoyed thenew boat and that 85 HP just about tore my face off getting going! It fits better in the driveway space, the 18 encroached on the neighbors a bit and the father in laws already happy about the better fit. There are numerous other things the 16 brings to the table but most, with a little work woul be possible on the 18. Nothing at all against the 18'....just haven't figured out how to convince my better half we need both!:D.

I did get both a 17" and a 19" prop with the 16', supposedly the 17" will hammer the hole shot and the 19" will increase top end speed but sacrifice the hole shot. So far the 17" does hit the hole like nuts but I haven't tried the 19" to compare... What do others use for prop pitch and is the above beliefs correct?

Chuckn

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice deal. If I can't get the Spirit's bugs worked out where are we going? =P

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sold the the old 18' and happy about that! Now on to minor refinements on the new 16'! Thought I would put up some additional pictures of the new boat, nothing fancy but pics are good!

Underbelly 1

Underbelly 2

Underbelly 3

Rear Shot 1

Rear Shot 2

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

More pics:

Console Shot

Gasoline alley - Will be putting a onboard gas tank at some point but the plastics will suffice for now

Transom was done in the past couple years, REALLY nice to not have to worry about that

Seems to idle down really nicely. I got it to drop below 500 rpms and still cruising around.

Another side shot - LOVE THAT YELLOW (I have been addicted to it since HA bought his!)

Enjoyment!

Ill get the other side console pic for you tomorrow HA, apologies for not getting them yet but I have been trying to get rid of my extra boat and was on vacation. Also will grab some speed numbers with the 1980 85HP at WOT next time out, which will be next Tuesday for sure for the weekly CFL (Cubicle Fishing League) Im part of at work, if not sooner.

Chuck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really sharp boat. I love the yellow also.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

The boats looks clean and the motor looks super clean. I also like the yellow. Has it stalled at all, idling at 500 rpm?

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

:)
The boats looks clean and the motor looks super clean. I also like the yellow. Has it stalled at all, idling at 500 rpm?

I have only been on the water once with it so far but no, it did not drop at all, idled real nice. Really impressed with this motor so far (of course, we'll see :))

Chuck

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can go out next weekend maybe. I want to see this thing in person. I might have to lose the Spirit for a 85.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, some days or sometimes....you just cannot win!! Tested the boat tonight to ensure it was ready to go tomorrow and I couldnt get it to start. Would turn over, was getting spark, was getting fuel - what the hell! So I test compression, 120 on all 4. Put spark plugs back in and no start. Hook battery up to charger and its down to 10 percent, had charged it LAST NIGHT to 89%. Hook jumper up to battery / boat and she fires up! DAMN YOU BATTERY! Run and get a new batter, hook it up and it fires right up and runs like a charm - YES! Shift it in to gear for a quick test and then back to neutral and it stays in gear.... ACK! Go back to motor and hand shift it in to neutral. Shift it at controls back in to gear and wont go back in to neutral, then I see it... shift cable black sheet is torn and it looks like the metal internal cable is stretched. Figure my shift cable broke.... Crud. No boating tomorrow, researching now whether or not my shift cable is infact broken.

Damn boats!

Damn Karma

Damn!

Chuck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Those motors like a STRONG battery. I bought a ridiculously oversized one for mine and boy does it spin now! Sorry about your shift cable. That one is a pain to change, at least on the control box end it is.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cable ordered from iboats. Should be here TOMORROW...? Wow! Fast shipping!

Hopefully it wont be too much of a pain as you state EZ, Ill be in 115 degrees heat index doing it! (You need to remember Im in MN, that is melt my face off temps!) I'd like to try and go boating this weekend, told the kiddo Id take him out and he was NOT happy when I told him the boat was broke this am! :).

BOATING...if you don't drink before buying one, you will!!!

Chuck