4 Stroke 115 for my 18' Starcraft SS now w/pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney

Commander
Re: 4 Stroke 115 for my 18' Starcraft SS

He's probably got a good point because those 4 strokes are a lot heavier. It's the swamping when you go to stop that's probably the concern. It wouldn't hurt to at least make sure that transom is solid and keep as much ballast in the bow as you can (like a fuel tank maybe?)

Matlok

Cadet

He's probably got a good point because those 4 strokes are a lot heavier. It's the swamping when you go to stop that's probably the concern. It wouldn't hurt to at least make sure that transom is solid and keep as much ballast in the bow as you can (like a fuel tank maybe?)

I had forgotten the stopping issue. Yes we had to learn top stop differently(its only water). But our old fiberglass was very heavy and low in the water to start with. We are "hoping " the 18 SS will be better. The bowrider should help as well if peiople are in the front. Our old boat was closed bow. We are may have to consider the battery up front as someone else pointed out.
Hey, its a good problem to have. Better than thinking about work.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ. I was hoping you would chime in.
Starman, thanks for the advise, I think instead I'll go with a string of helium balloons if I need more lift.

Well, the SS has styro on the port and star sides of the splashwell and in the crossbeam that
attaches to the sidewalls already, so adding 100-150 pounds of weight off the back that wasn't
in the original specs means nothing.

The 1977 model 1500 had roughly a dry weight of 290 pounds versus about 425 on the Suzuki 115hp.

The boat weighs 844 dry so you will be hanging 1/2 of the boats weight off the transom.

The 1990 SS18 weighed 1300 pounds with a max 120HP

There is something to be said for poppin wheelies....................lol

Starman, I certainly meant no disrespect by my flip answer to you. I didn't get what you were saying. The concerns you raised regarding weight distribution are mine as well. This is why I asked for input. Yours is appreciated. I decided to take the chance. I believe my boat weighs closer to 1000lbs. 985 I think is what I found out. You're right, it's at least 100lbs more than the original setup it was designed for. I'm figuring that a boat designed to haul 8 people can handle an extra 100 pounds. That transom is strong, and the deep splash well will be a big help when slowing down. I will most likely try to move my fuel to the bow which should help. I may not have room for a kicker back there. Perhaps I'll go with a high thrust trolling motor in the bow as well. We'll see how it works out. I'll let all you guys know how it works out. The curiosity is killing me. I'm so covered up helping my kid out right now, it's going to be a couple of weeks before I know. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for all the input.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

And my reply was to bring up safety and performance.

Just remember, the older stuff weighed less, boat and engine, and the newer models are heavier because of beam, not length, more width means more buoyancy, so test it.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4 Stroke 115 for my 18' Starcraft SS w/pic

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the Suzuki on the SS to complete this thread.
Well I thought I would. Need to figure out how to do this again. Pics coming soon.

Thanks all.

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

Attachments

• Suzuki on SS18 2.jpg
    Suzuki on SS18 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Suzuki on SS18 Full.jpg
    Suzuki on SS18 Full.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Suzuki on SS18.jpg
    Suzuki on SS18.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Matlok

Cadet

So, how did the 115 work on the 18SS ??

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's killing you to wait Matlok. I've got a drag link ordered to hook up the steering, I've still got to hook up the throttle and shift cable, I hope what came with the motor will not be too long. I will be posting results as soon as I get her in and out of the water. The suspense is killing me too, this boat has been sitting in my yard taunting me for over a year now. Won't be long now, hopefully. Wish me luck, I may need it. Hey Matlok, what's holding you up with that 130 Honda on your SS? Good luck with yours.

K

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

something OLD something NEW ...

great combo

Matlok

Cadet

Yeah, i know the feeling. I need to wait on mine as well. Something to do with work, cash flow, food,wives, kids, payments!!! its all a blurr sometimes.

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm getting close now guys! Had to buy a drag link to get my steering hooked up. Can steer the boat now. Looks like all my cables are going to work out fine. The last issue to deal with is mounting the controls. What I have came off of a center console, of course my boat is a side console. I'll be fabricating a box of some kind to mount the controls and key switch to. I'm thinking about going with bucket seats to start with. Do you think 5 gallon will be OK? First splash coming soon! Wish me luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

5 gallon?

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Add a lil outdoor foam from hancock fabrics to those 5 gallon bucket seats and ull be riding in style... Pretty sure ill have some marine grade vinyl left over if ya wanted to some color to those buckets ;)... Im looking forward to the splash! Good luck and smooth waters!

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Foam and vinyl...you're fancy! Maybe I'll go all out and use a milk crate.

theviking64

Seaman

Don't laugh. My Uncle years ago, had an old boat with no seats in it. He used beanbag chairs! I wish I had pics, it was the funniest thing ever.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of the Suzuki on the SS to complete this thread.
Well I thought I would. Need to figure out how to do this again. Pics coming soon.

Thanks all.

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

Looks awesome - buy a transom saver would ya!! - Your making me nervous.....

That set up will be fffffffaaaaaaaassssssssttttttttt

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I'll be getting a transom saver before I take her anywhere. I think I dodged a bullet on the ride back from Savannah without one. I'm lucky I didn't break my tilt lock. I know better now. This is my first "big boat". I've got a lot to learn, hopefully it won't all be the hard way. This site helps, a lot!
She should be fast enough. You guys will know right after I know. Almost done with my control box, a few more cuts and then see if it mounts up OK. I gotta start thinking about my support crew when I splash her. Hopefully I won't need anyone to drag me back to the dock, but I don't intend to get swept out to sea on my maiden voyage. Stay tuned.

Matlok

Cadet
So...,,finaly, Years later we have the Honda 130 on the 18ss. Wow it is awesome. No problem with the heavy engine . Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.