1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbe" to this site

got 1 stringer/bow witha crack in it , not a big problem ,, have to replace 12 rivets and the floor will be ready to start ,, COULD I use stainless machine screws to replace the rivets?

or could someone sell me a few 30 or so just in case

man I love working on these old boats

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I think you're talking about what I call ribs. The bowed aluminum that goes side to side. I've never tried that, you'd have to have the nut locked pretty good, and also the bolt head, and nut. It isn't pop rivets you need for the ribs anyway as they are usually hollow. I'm drawing a blank on name, but they are the type you have to hammer together, like should be in your other ribs. Most marinas should carry them for not too much.
Check out new comer 's thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=473837
Huron Angler knows a lot more than me, and he explains it in a post this morning.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

The floor It can only be so wide as if to wide it will loose the flat surface and want to bow up. Use a straighr edge and it should give you the width. worked fo me as my floor was like beauty bark so nothing to measure it with except start from scratch.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what is really funny is my friends called me "CRAZY" for wnating to rebuild that "pile-o-junk" ,,,, one came over last night and he STOPPED ,, and said "MAN that thing is going to be NICE" ,, his dad has a 1958 lonestar in the back yard , now he has the bug to build LOL

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

If you can get your hands on say a cardboar box like covers a refer. it can be cut to ex. fit for a templen of the floor size

Huron Angler

Admiral

If you are looking at thru-hull rivets to replace then you will want to use an SS screw with a nut and 3M 5200, or a closed head rivet.

If it's not a thru-hull, ie into a rib but not thru the hull(like the stringers are attached) then normal pop rivets from a hardware store will be fine.

I buy packs of 20-30 at a time but I should stock up and buy a few hundred.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a guy here is going to blast the hull for 40 BUCKS ,,, to hell with paint stripper LOL

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW ordered the plywood today , looked at fuel tanks (built in) , and correct prop size says 10 3/4 with 14 pitch , got stainless bolts ordered also ,, I guess GLUVIT is next ,, after blasting

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Make sure the guy blasting is careful so he doesn't warp it. Too much air pressure, or held in one spot too long caused too much heat and it warps. If you are going to repaint it, you don't need to take all the paint off, just mainly the loose stuff. Any bare aluminum takes a special aluminum primer, but regular primer will work dandy on old paint. It's a lot cheaper.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a old friend that got me into this came by last night to look at the project , he said make it a tiller , it will save me some money and more room , so he drew up a floor plan and had good ideas also , it cost 250 to convert the Honda over to a tiller , it's SAD but he lost his SUPER NICE starcraft and lonestar to a fire , his shop burned to the ground , along with a 39 Ford hotrod , he misses his old boat . He said my project is STRAIGHT

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ordered the tiller handle , 250 bucks!!!!

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sometime its better to be LUCKY than GOOD ... I went to pick up my marine plywood and ask if they had epoxy paint ,,,, we went to look and he said no ,,,, but I saw what I thought was some on the back of the shelves ,,, it WAS epoxy ,, it mixes 1:1 but is white .... BUT for 10 bucks a gallon it's a STEAL

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

100_0077.jpg
[/IMG]

boat back from blaster , found some corrosion 2-3 pin holes in back by transom , easy fix ... can't wait till it's DONE

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hoss is very jealous right now. All the scraping and wet sanding............ Looks good Machine. Pretty tricky rig you got there, tell me weren't you a little nervous getting it home???

veilside180sx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that takes the cake for the biggest boat I've seen in the back of a boat. I would've happily paid $40-50 for someone to blast my hull.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no problem getting it home, I built that reciever hitch extension many years back for a Chevy Z-71 I had at the time , it fit well in the Dodge . I did get some looks though LOL

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I can't believe you spent $40 on getting the paint off that rig, how awesome. Don't you feel like you cheated though? Shoot, the rest of us are all sanding/stripping/sweating/cursing/crying. Any guilt there at all?

Yah, didn't think so.

Cheers!

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Ya dis good an finding that blaster, and looks like he did a good job blasting. Shoot, he probably used that much soda to blast it. I got one of those bed extenders too. After I built it everyone wanted to buy it. Then a welding shop made a pattern from it and sold a bunch. Mines sat for over 4 years. Been used once.

MACHINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mixed up the epoxy I bought for 10 dollar a gallon , it was old and took a bit to mix up , but it went on WELL, prepped the holes for new rivets , and started laying out the upper fishing deck, after work yesterday,

I am making this boat a tiller and here is my quandary ,,,, I like the idea of the captain seat to run the motor BUT being a tiller would it be better to install a aluminum gun box/rod box and cover it for a seat to run the motor ....

any thoughts

my worry will I get the captain seat in the wrong place and make the boat uncomfortable to operate??????