• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbie" to this site

I just bought a 1964 Starcraft 16 ft , I gutted it Saturday and in the process of laying how I want the floor to look like , I may do aluminum floor , the boat will be used for hunting & fishing and will be camo paint inside and out , I have a Honda 50 4 stroke to pin on the back , I think I will locate the fuel tank in the front undar the fishing deck I plan to build. there are about 10 rivets I will have to work on but other than that the hull does not even have a dent in it ,

when I get a photobucket account I will post pics & if ya'll have suggestions on the floor , fire away ,,, I may go wood ...

I have owned many boats and have a 22 ft Xpress with a 115 merc 4 stroke on it now but I helped a guy build a Lonestar several years back and got the "bug " to do a Starcraft .

BTW I may build wind shields also ...

good place here so fire away

Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build ,, & a "newbe" to this site

OKAY what "model" is it ,, title say 1964 , it measures 16 ft stern to tip

Comment

after I gutted it

Comment

Comment

Boy you ran that thing right off the tires didn't you? Welcome aboard. Looks like you got everything gone from that thing, Hull looks pretty straight and not a lot of corrosion inside. on the DECKING I like wood. Just make sure you seal it. On my Starcraft I used exterior plywood with 2 coats of epoxy to seal it. On my Crestliner, I used cedar with thompson water seal. I think the nicest one I've done was in an old wooden boat, I used redwood tongue and groove sealed with epoxy, sand spread with it still tacky, then a thin gel coat. Non skid and looked nice. The aluminum decks I've seen have always seemed slick when they get wet, like after you catch a fish. And I'm not certain, but doesn't blood from game, or anything else corrode the aluminum real quick. That's just something I heard somewhere, not sure where, or if it's right. Good luck and welcome again.

Comment

Yes blood will corrode metal, not sure how fast with aluminum but very fast with steel. I have gotten blood on a rifle and did not know it till the next day and there was damage to the bluing and metal under it. But yea, blood is hard on metal surfaces.

Comment

COOL thanks

the tire had rotted off the trailer and I hauled it in on a flatbed trailer LOL

I thought about gluvit inside and outside the hull , what you think ?

and will gluvit work on wood? or marine plywood better

Comment

I gave 400 bucks for the rig , the sad thing is folks around here are selling them for SCRAP , aluminum is so high right now , If I do aluminum floor I will cover it with bed liner , my Xpress is done that way

Comment

Originally posted by MACHINE View Post
                  COOL thanks

the tire had rotted off the trailer and I hauled it in on a flatbed trailer LOL

I thought about gluvit inside and outside the hull , what you think ?

and will gluvit work on wood? or marine plywood better
                  Gluvit on the inside should do it. Don't think it will do the wood any good.
                  http://s860.photobucket.com/albums/a...nanabert/Boat/

sigpic

Comment

Gluvit is a great idea for the hull and good insurance against future leaks. It's not a cost effective wood sealer though. Go with regular epoxy for that.

That used to be a closed bow so it was probably a Jupiter or Nassau.
                    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Re: 1964 Starcraft boat build & a "newbe" to this site

I have access to oak plank 3/4 inch

or would plywood be better?

I also have red cedar blank up to 2 inch

have some black locust planks also

Comment

Nice project there, nice that you already have the motor for it too

Looks like a Holiday to me, it all depends on the measurements. Check the brochures link in my signature if you want to get the specs on closed-bow models.

Plywood would be best, sealed with epoxy resin.
                        sigpic
                        '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                        12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                        Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Originally posted by Huron Angler View Post
                          Nice project there, nice that you already have the motor for it too

Looks like a Holiday to me, it all depends on the measurements. Check the brochures link in my signature if you want to get the specs on closed-bow models.

Plywood would be best, sealed with epoxy resin.
                          a question .... the orginal floor was not in the boat , is the wood floor (plywood) supposed to go up in that side rib or just below the side rib along the rivets ? I can see ya'll pics but cannot tell for sure.

and thanks for the good info I have recieved so far , I just about have the floor plan layed out in my head .

if someone could show me a closeup of the floor area along the side I would appriciate it

Comment

If I'm understanding your question correctly....my answer would be just below. You don't want it flush.
                            1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                            1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Originally posted by ezmobee View Post
                              If I'm understanding your question correctly....my answer would be just below. You don't want it flush.
                              cool also where and what size pop rivets you use on the floor?

Comment

Working...
                              X