What primer is safe for aluminum boats in saltwater??

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to strip the boat and paint it. I remember reading in these forums somewhere on the "right" type of primer to use in the event you have exposed aluminum and if you are gonna run in saltwater.

I am going to knock off all the loose paint first with pressure and use chemical means as a last resort. I am hoping the old paint will blow off easy. It crumbles off to the touch. Once that is taken off maybe lady luck will be on my side and I will just have to scuff up the original paint which appears to have a good grip still.

I just want to make for certain that I use the proper primer so I dont create a time bomb-

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What primer is safe for aluminum boats in saltwater??

For bare aluminum you will want to use zinc chromate primer.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Boatnut is right, but, you will also want to consider a couple things. Will the boat be trailered or sit in the water? You will only need to "dust" the bare aluminum but you need to be sure the original paint is in good shape, then you only need to rough sand it. In salt water, you may consider an anti-fouling paint but be careful because some paints are not friendly with aluminum. Read the specs on the paint well. If you are trailering the boat then you shouldn't have to worry about that part.

cobia186

Seaman Apprentice

hey fshngho-

I trailer this one everywhere. I only have my boats in the water for 8-10 hrs at a time.

thx for the input.

fshngho

Lieutenant

My personal opinion, Interlux Britelside. But don't go on my word, check around.