1963 Montgomery Wards Sea King Cuddy - Starcraft Chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglime

Cadet
I'm on my way this weekend to possibly purchase this boat. I cannot find anywhere the value of this vessel. Any guesses would help out.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3m63o03l15O25Y25R3b152c2bd0a0d4e41cdc.jpg
    3m63o03l15O25Y25R3b152c2bd0a0d4e41cdc.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3pa3oa3l45V15U45R6b1523adefd74bbe1df4.jpg
    3pa3oa3l45V15U45R6b1523adefd74bbe1df4.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 3n53m43ob5Y45T15R5b158480108e41c1132a.jpg
    3n53m43ob5Y45T15R5b158480108e41c1132a.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 14

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1963 Montgomery Wards Sea King Cuddy - Starcraft Chieftain

Wow. Didn't know they made a wards cuddy. Cool! Where are you located?

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the owner asking? If the motor checks out and the boat floats, I'd say it's probably worth about $1000. This is assuming that the motor has good compression and the lower unit is in working condition.

tglime

Cadet

What is the owner asking? If the motor checks out and the boat floats, I'd say it's probably worth about $1000. This is assuming that the motor has good compression and the lower unit is in working condition.

He's asking $2400 and says everything works great.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

IMHO---If the boat checks out ,very good, and is clean ready to use. OK the price where you are is a bit high,here on the west coast it would be a steal . But it has to bo in very very good condition . Suggest you offer him a lower figure $1500. He can always say no and you can work your way up if you wish. The boat is 50 years old and the motor looks to be mabey in the 70s but I may be wrong. Great boat and you would be happy with it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, a Wards labeled Chief, huh! I've only seen 12 - 14 foot row boats with the Wards label. Interesting.

Yah, $2400 seems a little pricey. Though, I am a huge cheepo. I'd say that the majority of your dollar is going to be riding on that OB. If everything is in tip top shape there then you are in business and that price becomes much more reasonable.

Have fun!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd have to know a little more to give a more educated answer. As mentioned, the majority of the value is in the motor. So it would be good to know year, horsepower, and whether it has power tilt 'n trim. The bare hull on a trailer would only be worth like $750. The motor could be an $800-$1500+ motor depending on what it is.

tglime

Cadet

I'd have to know a little more to give a more educated answer. As mentioned, the majority of the value is in the motor. So it would be good to know year, horsepower, and whether it has power tilt 'n trim. The bare hull on a trailer would only be worth like $750. The motor could be an $800-$1500+ motor depending on what it is.

Thank you, great feedback.

The motor is a 1980-81 85 hp Johnson out board tilt and trim (New tilt elec motor 2009).

tglime

Cadet

Yah, a Wards labeled Chief, huh! I've only seen 12 - 14 foot row boats with the Wards label. Interesting.

Yah, $2400 seems a little pricey. Though, I am a huge cheepo. I'd say that the majority of your dollar is going to be riding on that OB. If everything is in tip top shape there then you are in business and that price becomes much more reasonable.

Have fun!

This is labeled as a Wards Sea King. Through my research I uncovered the manufacturer is actually Starcraft and being a 21 footer it would have to be the Chieftain.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thank you, great feedback.

The motor is a 1980-81 85 hp Johnson out board tilt and trim (New tilt elec motor 2009).

It would be a 1980. If it was an '81, it'd be a 90HP (which I have). That's a great motor and the TnT is a big plus. I'd probably go $2k on that rig. (I'd of course offer $1500 first)

bananaboater

Ensign

Very interesting find. I agree with most estimates on $ negotiations. The asking price is high. Be sure the trailer is OK too. If you acquire it it will be an interesting rehab. Good luck.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

well...Did you aquire this thing?

tglime

Cadet

well...Did you aquire this thing?

I did acquire this diamond in the rough. Here in MN we finally had temps above freezing, so it made for good negotiations.

I'm a little nervous for not getting a sea trial, but the motor turned over and looked to be in pretty good shape for its age (1980). We had the water ear muffs attached to the lower intake and a garden hose. However the water was not squirting out of the water pump-most likely due to frozen water already in there. Wish we could have ran it longer but it is what it is and now shes mine.

Thanks again for all the useful information. I will post photos of her transformation over the summer.

You really don't see too many of these on the water anymore. Truly a great find. I cannot wait to shine her up. I think I'm going to name her SERENITY.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I did acquire this diamond in the rough. Here in MN we finally had temps above freezing, so it made for good negotiations.

I'm a little nervous for not getting a sea trial, but the motor turned over and looked to be in pretty good shape for its age (1980). We had the water ear muffs attached to the lower intake and a garden hose. However the water was not squirting out of the water pump-most likely due to frozen water already in there. Wish we could have ran it longer but it is what it is and now shes mine.

Thanks again for all the useful information. I will post photos of her transformation over the summer.

You really don't see too many of these on the water anymore. Truly a great find. I cannot wait to shine her up. I think I'm going to name her SERENITY.

Well WELCOME ABOARD!
Your comment on the water frozen in the water pump concerns me, but I am not an OB guy..Was this motor out in the elements un winterized?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

You keep refering the motor as an OB is it not a I/O??? a bit confusing The photo tells it all it is a I/O Hope it wasen't in the up position with water left in it . Good luck you should be pleased. What kind of a deal did you get?? or did you???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

(Pretty sure that there boat is an OB setup my friend)

Congrats tg!! Hey a Wards labeled Starcraft Chief, very unique indeed! Way to go!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

What the H was I looking at??? Of course that is a OB. I think I confused it with a 27 ft one listed somewhere on the list. Sorry . O/B prob just needs a new water pump impeller. Thanks for the correction Capt. J

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig, welcome to the tin can club:)

Those are very rare, and an outboard model makes it even more unique.

These old metal boats are a pleasure to work on for the most part, check out some restorations for ideas if you are interested. Good luck to ya!

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

What the H was I looking at??? Of course that is a OB. I think I confused it with a 27 ft one listed somewhere on the list. Sorry . O/B prob just needs a new water pump impeller. Thanks for the correction Capt. J
I just replaced the COMPLETE pump and body in my 200 Johnson for less than $100

Status
Not open for further replies.