1963 Montgomery Wards Sea King Cuddy - Starcraft Chieftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglime

Cadet
Re: 1963 Montgomery Wards Sea King Cuddy - Starcraft Chieftain

Well WELCOME ABOARD!
Your comment on the water frozen in the water pump concerns me, but I am not an OB guy..Was this motor out in the elements un winterized?

I think it was un-winterized. This previous owner has had her for 10 years. He did garage it though. He said all he's ever done to the engine in those ten years was replace the plugs and oil.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't do squat to winterize my outboard except maybe change the lower unit oil. I wouldn't worry about it. Replace the water pump (which is a good idea on any used outboard).

tglime

Cadet

That is great news. Thank you. I little more history on this vessel. Apparently she was a working boat on Lake Superior. Not sure of her job yet but I will do some more research.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That is great news. Thank you. I litle more history on this vessel. Apparently she was a working boat on Lake Superior. Not sure of her job yet but I will do some more research.

That is really cool! You have my attention, I'd love to hear more!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Cool find & welcome. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you make out with that outboard and some more photos of your progress as you work on it. Should be a fun boat.

tglime

Cadet

Nice rig, welcome to the tin can club:)

Those are very rare, and an outboard model makes it even more unique.

These old metal boats are a pleasure to work on for the most part, check out some restorations for ideas if you are interested. Good luck to ya!

Tin Can Club - That put a smile on an old sea dogs face.

I'd like to learn how to weld aluminum. Any ideas in the equipment needed would be helpful.

More photos to come real soon. Especially a nice clean shot of the Montgomery Wards Plate near the transom.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tin Can Club - That put a smile on an old sea dogs face.

"Starmada" is my current favorite :D

I'd like to learn how to weld aluminum. Any ideas in the equipment needed would be helpful.

Check out this guy's thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=414556 he's currently building a 21' aluminum boat from scratch. He's also welded some hull repairs on an aluminum Starcraft I believe.

More photos to come real soon. Especially a nice clean shot of the Montgomery Wards Plate near the transom.[/QUOTE]

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, she looks great! I think you have a great new (old) rig man!:)

tglime

Cadet

"Starmada" is my current favorite :D

Check out this guy's thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=414556 he's currently building a 21' aluminum boat from scratch. He's also welded some hull repairs on an aluminum Starcraft I believe.

More photos to come real soon. Especially a nice clean shot of the Montgomery Wards Plate near the transom.
[/QUOTE]

Great advice. I scoured his posts for equipment speciics and took notes. I'll be on the lookout for a good priced welding rig in the very near future. A must have with this project. I was thinking of removing the floorboard-which has a little give and replace with aluminum sheeting. I also need to seal up a few screw holes and rips and tears around the boat.

What in the world is "Starmada" ?

tglime

Cadet

A far more exclusive club within the Tin Can Club :p

In the great worrds of W.C. Fields. " I'd never join a club that'd have ME as a member".

tglime

Cadet

In the great worrds of W.C. Fields. " I'd never join a club that'd have ME as a member".

As for me, I am very happy to have found this group. Thanks to everyone who voiced in with great enthusiasm. I was humbled to find such great generosity of knowledge with this site.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey tg, how about updating your profile with your location. We SC guys like to know where everyone is coming from.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

better camo the boat to keep the wanna bees away LOL Its looking good, ENJOY----- Pugetsound

tglime

Cadet

Hey tg, how about updating your profile with your location. We SC guys like to know where everyone is coming from.

Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota.

tglime

Cadet

better camo the boat to keep the wanna bees away LOL Its looking good, ENJOY----- Pugetsound

I was thinking battleship gray with a tigershark smile.

cadmaster02

Seaman Apprentice
I have been searching the Wide Web for Months, trying to find another example of the Mongomery Ward Sea King. Since I recently purchased/started restoring one. This is the only one I could find.....Then I figure out it is the exact same boat I bought a couple months ago! funny to see this post from 12 years before!
My journey w thus boat. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1...king-starcraft-starchief.770513/#post-5899746

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.