Scrapping an aluminum boat?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey, quick question for you guys....

I happened to bump into this ad...

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/2088232026.html

40 rivets leaking tells me that there may be some damage there, but that aside, I really like that hull!

Anyway, just for the heck of it I emailed him and asked how much he wanted for just the hull. He hit me back with...

"I'd go $450 (I figure I could get about that much selling it for scrap).

Let me know."

I hear that a lot from guys who are trying to sell off their trashed hulls. You know...

"I can get $X.XX at that scrap yard so it's worth at least that."

So here is my question.

Is he accurate? Can he really get $450 out of a 16.5' aluminum hull at the scrap yard?

Just wondering is all.

Any scrappers out there?

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Scrapping an aluminum boat?

That thing could surely be restored as long as there are no dents or seams beyond repair.

Not sure on scrap prices, looks like anywhere from 60 to 90 cents/lb depending on the grade of aluminum. If the boat weighs 700lbs at 80 cents it would yield $560.

I like that hull, just like our old Sea Nymph only a bit smaller. It's probably a '86 or '87 vintage.

veilside180sx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our naked hulls are only about 200-300 lbs of aluminum.

So I don't see him fetching 450 for it.

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here in upstate NY, aluminum scrap is about $.55/lb. Figure there is about 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in the boat, so maybe $250 at the most.

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in upstate NY, aluminum scrap is about $.55/lb. Figure there is about 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in the boat, so maybe $250 at the most.
Same prices that are around here. Plus they make you cut the boat up into smaller pieces that are manageable by hand and can fit onto their scale for aluminum. Cutting one up is alot of hard exhausting loud work. So by the time you figure in your labor of gutting the hull to just the aluminum (not one piece of steel and wood or you get price docked to 25 cents a pound), you basically break even depending on what you think your labor is worth.
So, most the ones that claim that are b.s.ing or have not looked into the requirements to scrap one. Another option for one of the yards here is to simply take the whole thing across the scale like a car for $60 a ton. Not very good price for light weight aluminum hull.
The few guys that I have seen actually scrap one out was laid off (labor value low), got the boat for free and sold the trailer on craigslist afterwards. They came out better on the trailer that the aluminum.
Don't worry, the boat was a lone star, not a Starcraft.

North Beach

Commander

Guys I've scrapped two so far. The 18' Holiday fetched 200 and the 21' mariner laoded with about 50 pounds of Gluvit:eek: got me about 250.

By the time you remove every peice of wood the only weigh about 2-250, maybe 300 pounds.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Guys I've scrapped two so far. The 18' Holiday fetched 200 and the 21' mariner laoded with about 50 pounds of Gluvit:eek: got me about 250.

By the time you remove every peice of wood the only weigh about 2-250, maybe 300 pounds.

So, wait a minute...

I knew about ol' blue the Holiday.

Did you scrap this Mariner?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=361561

:eek: