• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scrapping an aluminum boat?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapping an aluminum boat?

Hey, quick question for you guys....

I happened to bump into this ad...

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/2088232026.html

40 rivets leaking tells me that there may be some damage there, but that aside, I really like that hull!

Anyway, just for the heck of it I emailed him and asked how much he wanted for just the hull. He hit me back with...

"I'd go $450 (I figure I could get about that much selling it for scrap).

Let me know."

I hear that a lot from guys who are trying to sell off their trashed hulls. You know...

"I can get $X.XX at that scrap yard so it's worth at least that."

So here is my question.

Is he accurate? Can he really get $450 out of a 16.5' aluminum hull at the scrap yard?

Just wondering is all.

Any scrappers out there?
    1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
    1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
    1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
    1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
    1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)
    1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp
    Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations

Re: Scrapping an aluminum boat?

That thing could surely be restored as long as there are no dents or seams beyond repair.

Not sure on scrap prices, looks like anywhere from 60 to 90 cents/lb depending on the grade of aluminum. If the boat weighs 700lbs at 80 cents it would yield $560.

I like that hull, just like our old Sea Nymph only a bit smaller. It's probably a '86 or '87 vintage.
    sigpic
    '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
    12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
    Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Our naked hulls are only about 200-300 lbs of aluminum.

So I don't see him fetching 450 for it.
      '71 Starcraft 16' SS

Comment

Here in upstate NY, aluminum scrap is about $.55/lb. Figure there is about 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in the boat, so maybe $250 at the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross72 View Post
          Here in upstate NY, aluminum scrap is about $.55/lb. Figure there is about 300 to 400 lbs of aluminum in the boat, so maybe $250 at the most.
          Same prices that are around here. Plus they make you cut the boat up into smaller pieces that are manageable by hand and can fit onto their scale for aluminum. Cutting one up is alot of hard exhausting loud work. So by the time you figure in your labor of gutting the hull to just the aluminum (not one piece of steel and wood or you get price docked to 25 cents a pound), you basically break even depending on what you think your labor is worth.
          So, most the ones that claim that are b.s.ing or have not looked into the requirements to scrap one. Another option for one of the yards here is to simply take the whole thing across the scale like a car for $60 a ton. Not very good price for light weight aluminum hull.
          The few guys that I have seen actually scrap one out was laid off (labor value low), got the boat for free and sold the trailer on craigslist afterwards. They came out better on the trailer that the aluminum.
          Don't worry, the boat was a lone star, not a Starcraft.
          1969 18' Starcraft Starchief, 120 I/O Mercruiser
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347131

Comment

Guys I've scrapped two so far. The 18' Holiday fetched 200 and the 21' mariner laoded with about 50 pounds of Gluvit got me about 250.

By the time you remove every peice of wood the only weigh about 2-250, maybe 300 pounds.
            sigpic

Sunchief In Motion!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOO34zeE_Vg
            Sunchief Restoration! http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286412

Comment

Originally posted by North Beach View Post
              Guys I've scrapped two so far. The 18' Holiday fetched 200 and the 21' mariner laoded with about 50 pounds of Gluvit got me about 250.

By the time you remove every peice of wood the only weigh about 2-250, maybe 300 pounds.
              So, wait a minute...

I knew about ol' blue the Holiday.

Did you scrap this Mariner?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=361561

1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
              1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
              1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
              1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
              1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)
              1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp
              Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations

Comment

Working...
              X