1965 Starcraft Cheiftain

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reponse Super.
Yes i agree i should get an accurate tac just to be sure.
I installed a 14 1/4 x 19 prop this afternoon.
I may have gone to far the other way but at least the boat gets up on plane and is doing 40K top speed now. Although my RPM has dropped.
Much better than the prop i returned which only gave me 24Kph.
I think this one will work fine.

Last edited:

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone used this stuff?

Always used the Mercruiser blue gear oil but I picked this up without really thinking.
Now i am concerned it might be no good.

Any input?

Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's some spendy gear oil to drain out twice in a calendar year and I don't think I would be inclined to leave it longer either just in case a seal starts leaking.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's some spendy gear oil to drain out twice in a calendar year and I don't think I would be inclined to leave it longer either just in case a seal starts leaking.

Twice? Once a year in autumn perhaps.

Anyways.

Is it better or inferior to the mercruiser brand?

Decker83

Commander
I don't know the difference in the two brands, but I wonder if using the full synthetic oil, if you can go back to regular oil?

dozerII

Admiral
I have been using it for a couple season and it works good, I only change once a year and then only if I have put some substantial hours on. After the leg sits for a couple days I pull the plug momentarilily to get a small Aprroximatley 2 once sample of the oil, if it's clear and shows no signs of metal or water,. I just top it off from the vent.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Twice? Once a year in autumn perhaps.

Anyways.

Is it better or inferior to the mercruiser brand?

I would imagine that being a full synthetic it would be high quality lube, I would use it. I doubt it would make any sort of difference though unless you used it from the time the drive was new there may be some sort of benefit 30 - 40 years later.

The main thing is to not have water get in and that the gear oil is changed regularly. I check mine though out the season and if it turns dark I change it mid season but I run probably between 150 and 200 hours a season on my Chief and change the motor oil mid season too as soon as the oil turns dark which is around the first of July because I slow roll cruise so much it tends to get dark being a carbed motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.