1973 16' SS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright since the weather her is not working very well for boating I figured that I would make a intro to the Strarcraft addiction.

I have been trolling iboats since the beginning of the summer trying to find what boat that I wanted to get. I looked a a few that where within my budget locally and narrowed it down to a 15-16" SS. I was hoping to get a project for winter and have it ready for spring. I found one on CL for $600 that I was interested and called the seller, no answer. I attempted to reach him for 3 days with no luck. I finally reached him and he sold it earlier that day. Bummer. I still looked and found another potential boat that was $400 but the seller had 3 other people that where interested. First come first serve. Well that one was sold also before I could get it.

Jump ahead 2 weeks and I am looking on the forum and a topic pops up. Surprise! 1973 Starcraft SS Owner, the first boat that I wanted from CL. I was bummed out but was happy to be able to see that the boat went to a good home.

http://forums.iboats.com/showpost.php?p=2854363&postcount=6

A few weeks go buy and now its the end of August and I get a PM from Chuckndiscs wanting to know if I was interested in buying the boat. So the following Saturday I drag the wife down to take a look at it and she gives the ok to get it. Monday I go back and pick the boat up and I have the carbs torn off the same night. I was unable to work on it the next day but was able to finish and have it running on Wednesday.

So far I have replaced the Deathray horn and removed the old fish finder. I also added LEDs to the bow and stern lights that I had laying around from a different project. I can get some pictures if anyone in intersted.

I have had it out a few times this season. So far I have had the winch strap break on the landing and forgot to put the plug back in. All joys of being a new boat owner I guess. I replaced the winch and strap with a nice new one and picked up all new trailer rollers and a trolling motor to save me if the motor dies on the water.

I was looking the boat over for other issues and found that the trim motor was shot. It has a 65hp Spirit and I have found that parts a hard to find but I was able to get a used one for a reasonable price and replaced that today. I think that the pump and motor went bad due to the down relay having a short. I was able to get on at my part-time job for $6!! I added some wiring and it works like a champ.

Hoping for just a few more nice days to get out before the snow flies. After that I will be replacing the floor and the seats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 16' SS build

Glad you got a thread started. Welcome to the madness. You should post up a few pics even though we've seen some just to refresh everyone's memory in this thread.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am uploading some right now but here are some of the carbs to keep the natives from getting restless. :D I will also take some more tomorrow.

Beezerchris

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome aboard. Working away on a SuperSport myself, and hoping to splash in the Spring. Keeps us out of trouble and our wives know where to find us.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welcome back Losdin. I was getting ready to send the CG after you. I knew you were excited about getting the boat, then you disappeared.:eek:
You know the procedures, get to work and send pics!:D

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome back Losdin. I was getting ready to send the CG after you. I knew you were excited about getting the boat, then you disappeared.:eek:
You know the procedures, get to work and send pics!:D

I was not gone that long :D

Here is when I went and looked at it over at Chuckndiscs

When I was not at work I was either on the water or working on the SS and updating things. Here are some bad night time pics from out in the garage. Sorry about the quality but I was burning daylight. I have replaced all the rollers, winch and the hitch on the trailer. When the snow flies here I am planing on repacking the bearings and adding LED lights to the trailer.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replaced the old radio and speakers. $4 for the speakers and $30 for the radio from a local surplus store. It's not a marine radio but the price was right.

Here is my LED conversion. Still used the OE lens and bulb socket.

The orginal trim motor was broke off at the mount and welded back together and turn slow so I replaced it with a used one. Added new fluid and pumped it up and it worked great. Went to lower it and the down solenoid was shorting out. I went into my part time job and nabbed a small engine relay/solenoid and that fixed it.

Here is the old unit.

Since I was in the wiring and electrical mood I replaced the horn, the light and bilge pump switches. Went and changed all the corroded terminals on the battery with soldered and heat shrink.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost forgot the LED bow light. :eek:

I have the motor running but is takes a while to start. I have a friend that does marine work and said that he will put it on a dyno or water tank to tune it and adjust the carbs. Before spring I would love to get the floor replaced but I will see. It has some soft spots and really bad carpet that is just laying on top.

LIS

fshngho

Lieutenant

Dang Dude, I just realized your boat is/was the exact color and interior of my 18' offshore. Much better shape than mine though.:eek:
You may want to make a cover for the radio it won't last long like that in the rain. Great pics! Thank you.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome! When we getting together this spring to slaughter some bluegills with the boys?....oh wait, that comes after the snow flies... :rolleyes:

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to make a cover for the radio it won't last long like that in the rain. Great pics! Thank you.

Not too worried about it. It will be cheaper to get another back up radio then a cover. They still had 20-30 left where I got this one.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome! When we getting together this spring to slaughter some bluegills with the boys?....oh wait, that comes after the snow flies... :rolleyes:

I'm going to use it right until the lakes freeze. :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking good, I like the avocado SS:D

Those retrofit led lights are sweet. Awesome that you kept the old school globe on the stern light.:cool:

Lets see some photos of those fish while you're at it:)

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good, I like the avocado SS:D

The color has grown on me. I am suprised that my wife likes the color more then I do.

Anyone now how I can add a center windshield? I took some measurements but it is not square. Most likley caused from the floor being warped. Hopefully I will start tearing out the old floor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Chances aren't great that you'd be able to find a center section for your existing windshield. However, with the wide gunwhales and fairly flat wide console tops, you should be able to make just about 3 piece windshield you'd find work. I see them on CL occaisionally.

losdinspace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am on the water right now. The Spirit will need a larger starting battery in the spring and I will use the little 24 series for the trolling motor and accessories. Last time out this season :(

I will add some pictures when I get back if I can get some fish.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice to see her out on the water.:) Any pike or musky biting out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.