'68 Holiday-V 120 Mercruiser I/O

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my wife's family boat It was purchased new back in 68! Sadly it wast last floated in 1990 then put back into the garage until the 20th September of 2010...
That's 20 years of sitting having bundles of newspaper and cardboard boxes and other "Stuff" piled in and on top of her.

She's in my name now :D

Here is she is Click on the photo to see more.

FYI she was never named :(

The whole boat is in really great condition considering the amount of years she was in the garage. All the lights on the trailer ('71 Ez Loader) worked but one bulb was blown, replaced it (#67) The Power winch works as well.
All Nav' lights work, the horn, vent blower, stern-drive hydro' move freely.

That's what I have looked at so far....

Regards,

Scott

Last edited:

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '68 Holiday-V 120 Mercruiser I/O

Great boat, change the fluids remove plugs and shoot some oil in there turn the engine over without plugs to lube. Then back in with plugs prime the engine put on the muffs and I bet it fires right off. Should be as good as new and solid floor and transom It hasen't seen wet for 18 years you are a lucky one.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welcome Wrks. That boat looks like its in mint condition. Puge has great advice but I would add that you should replace the water impeller. After all this time I would bet its dry rotted or conformed to the cup. Be safe & change it, don't want to burn up a motor. Take plenty of pics as I can guarantee folks here would love to see more, I know I do.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome and congrats! Looks like you have yourself a super nice looking rig, 20 years under cover will do that!:D

mj05

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beautiful boat and great pics! Any of the interior?

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I have the exact same boat - looks a little different - and had a much tougher life - you can check out my thread for her new look.

Now I know what the original color was - not sure what they were thinking back then...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat in amazing original condition.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking boat. Your in my neck of the woods. There is a bunch of us here in SE Michigan. Can't wait to see you clean her up, looks pretty nice.

Don

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the warm welcome :) and for the words of encouragement.
I drained the antique gas about 6 gallons, I have the receipt when this one was put in 1978 it's a steel one (Magnet test) Going to have it looked at. I would like to keep it near to OEM/Stock as possible.

The Fuel filler hose and vent hose are toast they fell apart in my hands trying to release them. I think I'll take it to a Radiator place for cleaning and PSI testing, hopefully I can reuse this one. I noticed Oily leak from the rubber boot area visible when the S/Drive is turned I feels to tacky for hydro' fluid more of and oil texture plus the upper boot has a tear in it :(

Here is a photo of the Interior
5034541175_c9a7e23abf.jpg

5035206438_e50c35479a.jpg

5034559191_0700a29aef.jpg

Click here for all 119 photo's of the 2 days recovery mission :cool:

Nice looking boat. Your in my neck of the woods. There is a bunch of us here in SE Michigan. Can't wait to see you clean her up, looks pretty nice.

Don
That would be great maybe before the spring we could have an get together for coffee and your Adult drink of you liking....

Regards,

Scott

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the exact same boat - looks a little different - and had a much tougher life - you can check out my thread for her new look.

Now I know what the original color was - not sure what they were thinking back then...
I love the paint job, I have been lurking around the Resto threads for a week or so. There are several great looking SC :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, the condition of your interior is amazing considering the age! Wow!:D

I am thinking that most of us around here can't even relate to an old boat with an interior like that. Completely foreign idea that an old rig might NOT need new EVERYTHING!

Cheers and congrats!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sorry it took me so long to say WELCOME ABOARD!!!!
I also have the EXACT same boat & motor, same year good old 1968!
That rig looks GREAT! my boat had the exact same color scheme as well..That tan hull and brown vinyl is what mine was supposed to look like huh? ;)

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry it took me so long to say WELCOME ABOARD!!!!
I also have the EXACT same boat & motor, same year good old 1968!
That rig looks GREAT! my boat had the exact same color scheme as well..That tan hull and brown vinyl is what mine was supposed to look like huh? ;)

Thanks for the welcome CBKev, your resto thread was the first i read intil 2am :eek:

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not much today just had another look at the tank. Dave (Father in law) said "That he had a Sacrifice Anode put into the tank to help prevent rusting of the tank" Could that be the pick up tube as this is copper ???

It's covered with blue and green oxidization Blue was below the gas level and green was exposed to air?
I removed the old fuel float with mechanical gauge The float arm had fallen of due to the Aluminum being corroded.. Put some old not the 20 year old stuff back into the tank and swished it around. The color is the same as the external paint, so I'm thinking it might still be ok.

I drove by Orchard and Cass lakes today wishing it was spring and I was planing along with out a care in the world, except idiot's they are everywhere :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regards,

Scott

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Couple of things come to mind.
Replace all fuel lines, I bet the fuel pump is bad ( I would replace the fuel pump), Sound like you are checking the tank for holes and cleaning, replace all rubber boots on the outdrive, lube splines, look the splines over for wear (I spun a engine coupler), grease all u-joints, grease fittings, change water pump impeller in outdrive, I would install a new updated shift shaft seal (I had trouble with my seal leaking).
Have fun you have all winter to get her ready for summer.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couple of things come to mind.
Replace all fuel lines, I bet the fuel pump is bad ( I would replace the fuel pump), Sound like you are checking the tank for holes and cleaning, replace all rubber boots on the outdrive, lube splines, look the splines over for wear (I spun a engine coupler), grease all u-joints, grease fittings, change water pump impeller in outdrive, I would install a new updated shift shaft seal (I had trouble with my seal leaking).
Have fun you have all winter to get her ready for summer.

Thanks elkhunter for your advice :D

Re: fuel lines just the rubber ones or both rubber and the metal one heading from the I/L filter to the Carb'

Scott

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh man .. im SO jealous .. that is exactly what i would like to have .. i have me a 14 foot 1977 holiday and 1968 15' jet star .. i would trade both for yours in 2 seconds. After my restorations are done, i'll use my holiday for a season and start looking for just this model and size. That boat looks MINT .. the outdrive doesn't even appear to have a scratch on her. You are VERY lucky to have her. Congrats

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks elkhunter for your advice :D

Re: fuel lines just the rubber ones or both rubber and the metal one heading from the I/L filter to the Carb'

Scott

The metal line should be fine...blow some air through her to make sure she's free from any goo...but there hardly ever is any problems..If there is, take it off and soak in carb cleaner.