Build a Ski Pole

coopstar55

Cadet
Just thought I would pass on this information. I had been looking for a ski pole for my starcraft for over a month now and have yet to see any under $260. Since I have no budget for that I decided to make one. I used a 4ft 1/2 inch steel pipe, a base plate, think 1/2 inch O-bolt and nut, 1 left over 2x6x1ft, bolts for base and mid mount, and a leftover can of white paint. I started with the pole by cutting the threads off of one end and welding the nut for the O-bolt onto it. Chose to weld nut instead of just the O-bolt so once the skier is attached it can rotate side to side. After that it was painted white and pretty much done there. The 2x6 I cut to accommodate the pole to go through and cut an area to hold the tow rope when not in use. This I also painted white. Last night I assembled it and attached it to the boat. I pulled the boat out of the garage and attached a rope to the O-bolt on the top and was able to pull the boat back in with no issues. I would hope if it would be strong enough to pull the boat it would live through a skier pulling on it. Total cost was about $30 plus now I have a great place to store the tow rope when not in use too! I attached a picture of the final product I hope this is able to benefit someone else also.

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Build a Ski Pole

Pretty slick! Do you have a swim platform and/or ladder back there too? I am trying to come up with a way to exit/enter the boat from the water at the rear. If you have a pic of the boat from the back I'd appreciate it.

coopstar55

Cadet

I have a platform back there on the left in the picture. its made of treated 2x2's. I was going to build a ladder out of steel and attach to that platform but the other day when i was at the store there was an new, over the side, 4 step ladder on sale for less then it would cost me to buy the steel, and this ladder floats. I may mod it to work with the platform but if not the platform is nice even just for loading/unloading.

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a boat last Sunday that has a ski pole/pylon on it. I had no idea they cost that much. It's a 91' Sunbird ski boat with a 91' 70 hp Johnson on it.

I know it's not a Starcraft, but this is a ski pole discussion, and I do have a Starcraft or I wouldn't be here.

You did a fine job on fabricating your pole. You plan on pulling a skier or tubes?

coopstar55

Cadet

I plan on at least my wife using it to ski and to tube others. If I can upgrade the motor to a 70-75hp over the winter maybe I will even give skiing a shot:rolleyes:. I Just know the 55hp will not pull my 200lb butt up.

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a tip.................Get a prop with a lower pitch. Use it when you're going to pull a tube or skier. It will save your engine, and you shouldn't be worried about top end speed anyway with someone at the end of the rope.

You might consider some bracing to that pole above the splashwell. The high dollar poles have it.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I gotta say, I don't think it'll hold up without the additional bracing shown in Bob's pic above. There is a ton of force exerted on that pole pulling someone out of the water and they'll have quite a bit of leverage on it with no additional support.

coopstar55

Cadet

Thanks for the tips I may try and find a way to sure up the top side of the pole.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I noticed something else with your first pic...do you have any ventilation
for your stern compartment??? Are those stern doors factory or did you
cover up what use to be screens in the doors...??? possible fire hazzard???
Do you use gas tanks in the stern compartment?...Maybe I'm blowing
smoke and there is nothing to worry about...I'm still on my first boat and
still learning/ a beginner :confused::D

Attachments

• MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0

coopstar55

Cadet

The stern doors are what came with the boat when i got it. The gas tank is in there. But, there are 3.5in vents on each side to circulate air under there that are not in the picture. Also whenever It sits, for very long, I open one of the doors.

mj05

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought a boat last Sunday that has a ski pole/pylon on it. I had no idea they cost that much. It's a 91' Sunbird ski boat with a 91' 70 hp Johnson on it.

I know it's not a Starcraft, but this is a ski pole discussion, and I do have a Starcraft or I wouldn't be here.

You did a fine job on fabricating your pole. You plan on pulling a skier or tubes?

Nice looking little boat.....um.. uh.. I mean.... terrible... just terrible!! :eek::D