Need Help! Just acquired new Starcraft need to know what year & model the boat is

dboyles

Recruit
Hello everyone! Looks like I am proud owner of a starcraft boat. I just recently acquired this boat from a friend. He purchased the boat with the intentions to get going again, but that never happened. I dont know what model or year, as I dont have any kind of title. I am working on getting a title, then plan to restore the boat.

Any input on what the mysterious starcraft might be?????

Attachments

• IMG00022-20100815-1650.jpg
    IMG00022-20100815-1650.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00034-20100816-1631.jpg
    IMG00034-20100816-1631.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG00030-20100816-1630.jpg
    IMG00030-20100816-1630.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 4

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need Help! Just acquired new Starcraft need to know what year & model the boat is

Re: Need Help! Just acquired new Starcraft need to know what year & model the boat is

Fiberglass eh? Looks mid sixties to me. I looked through some of the brochures we have on line here, didn't see it though.

How long is it?

Love that steering wheel. The whole boat for that matter. Very cool.

We'll figure it out.

bananaboater

Ensign

Interesting cuddy. The windshield looks like one from a runabout, curved and bubble like with the cuddy flowing from it. I think the ones I have seen so far have been flat windshield pieces framed with aluminum stock with a blocky somewhat streamlined cuddy emerging.

Welcome.

North Beach

Commander

dboyles, you have what's called the 64 Biscayne. 17 foot lapstrake fibrerglass, and in my opinion, the coolest LOOKING old school Starcraft made. It was offered in the mist green in 65 and discontinued by 66. I don't know about 63 since I don't have a 63 brochure.

In the few years I've been researching Starcraft boats, I've only ever seen one other of these. Rare find!

Here's the brochure page

002-2.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sweet old cuddy, very classic:D Welcome to the armada!

NB good call on the model, that is a rare bird to say the least:)

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Banana---the windshield difference you're referring to is a production change made sometime in mid 60s....they went from the fighter jet windshields to the no doubt cheaper-to-produce flat glass for most all the cruisers (and i guess most of the runabouts too). i think change was about 65 or 66 but haven't checked brochures to be sure.

Dboyles, welcome to the zoo....looks like you got a job. hope that fiberglass isn't too waterlogged as it's cool to see anyone restoring an old crock. take a look at fiberglassics.com too....lots of great info on early 60s fiberglass boats.

why is that lady trying to drown that horse in the brochure pic?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Thats the bomb dude. I can't wait to see you restore it. Nice find for sure.

North Beach

Commander

Banana---the windshield difference you're referring to is a production change made sometime in mid 60s....they went from the fighter jet windshields to the no doubt cheaper-to-produce flat glass for most all the cruisers (and i guess most of the runabouts too). i think change was about 65 or 66 but haven't checked brochures to be sure.

In 64 & 65 the Holiday, Sunchief and the big Suncruiser (20' fiberglass sister to the Holiday/Sunchief were the only models with what Starcraft called the Skiff Type safety glass windshields. All the other models were the Wraparound shields.

In 66 They started using the Skiff Type shields on all the bigger boats including the Starchief and Chieftain and began using the wraparound with no glass on the sides (empty frame).

BTW, in 66 thay also began making an 18' fiberglass model called the Imperial V. Looks just like the Holiday.

zbadboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's funny how everyone is smiling in the picture except the horse. It's always funny to see old ads. Great Looking Boat by the way.:)

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

them old ads & brochures are a hoot....the cheesy white captain's hats on the (male of course) person at helm and everybody waving at each other...i think that Holiday one with the 20+ bikini clad women running to the man with the boat is the best...:p

NB, thanks for the details on that. the flat glass definitely is more practical and i'm sure was a whole lot cheaper to produce but i like the look of the plexi...sorta art-deco feel.

dboyles

Recruit

Thanks everyone for your input. Hope to get started on the boat within the next month, have to get ahold of ohio BMV and work on the whole titling process. I believe I just need the bill of sale, as the boat does not appear to have any kind of hull #. From what i have read the state will issue a hull # with the new title.

Boat looks just like the Biscayne, I will have to measure the hull and see if it is the correct lenght. Thanks everyone.

Looks like i have my work cut out for me. Checking things over, and so far I need to replace the following.

Transom board need replaced
Floor needs replaced
Storage compartments in cabin need replaced.

Floor and compartments shouldnt be too bad, Transom will require some work, I have never replaced one in a fiberglass boat. I am currently researching how to replace the transom.

Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

• IMG00024-20100815-1651.jpg
    IMG00024-20100815-1651.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00035-20100816-1631.jpg
    IMG00035-20100816-1631.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00037-20100816-1631.jpg
    IMG00037-20100816-1631.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00031-20100816-1630.jpg
    IMG00031-20100816-1630.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 3

dboyles

Recruit

Does anyone know the history of this model? Just curious as it seems that it may be somewhat rare, I am having a hard time finding information online. I have been trying to find other pictures of the boat, for comparison. Seems like there is little to now information on the web.

Thanks again!

Will keep you all update thru the process.