1964 16' Starcraft SeaMist / 1964 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt (50hp), Here We Go Again.

DragoonChris

Recruit
So I Was Wandering The Country Side In Ontario's Cottage Country Looking For A New Fishing Boat That Would Rival My Brothers "New" Starcraft Bowrider. Well As It Turns Out I Ended Up With One Of My Own.

She's A 16' 1964 Starcraft Seamist, With The Original Motor She Was Sold With. Beautiful Lines, And No Working Lights. My Fun Begins Again.

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1964 16' Starcraft SeaMist / 1964 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt (50hp), Here We Go Agai

Any pics of it yet???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1964 16' Starcraft SeaMist / 1964 Mercury 500 Thunderbolt (50hp), Here We Go Agai

Sounds like your wife is excited, er, um, never mind...

Hey, yah - what BigHoss said, post up some photos!

Welcome!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Congrats and Welcome. There is a wealth of information on here to help with restorations and a ton of great people. :D
Most of us have significant others that help with our projects and share the enthusiasm:p, but we can't help much with yours. Your on your own.:redface:

some have used the stealth method of acquiring boats

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

SUGGESTED SPOUSAL STRATEGIES:

1. the guilt trip plan: there are many pleasures in life. many of them are expensive and/or deleterious to your health. a 16' 1964 tin boat is one of the cheaper and less unhealthy ones. surely your spouse, who swore to love you as you are and forever, would not begrudge you such a small pleasure.

2. the Spectre of Things Far Worse plan: "honey, the boat will keep me so broke that you KNOW i won't be spending my $ on another woman....". frequent references to "my aluminum girlfriend" help with this one.

3. the Large Tarp in Locally Relevant Camo Pattern plan: sounds like it may be too late for this one, or for the Stow it at a Friend's for a While Til It's a Long Past Fait Accompli plan.

4. the Paint it Her Favorite Color plan...this one may be your best at this point.

;)

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome aboard and sorry to here about your wife's reaction, all mine could say was that thing will join the collection and never leave our yard.:mad: She was very happy when we took it on vacation and she could relax in the bucket seat instead of holding on for dear life in my Tracker jet. ;) She will come around.
I have actually been through Petawawa on my way to Deux Riveres to bear hunt and fish at Doug Antler's Lodge. Pretty river and country up there, as well as huge Pike!

Darren

DragoonChris

Recruit

Thanks For The Warm Welcome. I Will Have Some Photos Once The Rain Stops. "My Wife Is Pissed" Is Actually Just My Signature, Since I PROMISED Her That The Chris Craft Was The LAST ONE...I PROMISE....:D

She Actually Loves Boats, She Just Hates Seeing Them Pull In With Zero Prior Warning.

Photos Soon,

Chris

DragoonChris

Recruit

So The Rain Still Hasn't Really Stopped. Its Been Generally Miserable For The Last 2 Weeks. But As Promised, I Found A Break In The Weather And Finally Have Some Pictures, And A Truck Load Of Trailer Problems...

Cheers,

Chris
Petawawa, Ontario

Attachments

• DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00649.jpg
    DSC00649.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00656.jpg
    DSC00656.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00657.jpg
    DSC00657.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 5

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like it!!!

Only difference I see in that from a Jupiter is, it's not as deep by the distance of one board design, or one lapstrake design. Still has the 3 knee braces.

Those center between the two holes on the starboard side can be cut out to accomodate a single steering cable, and look like it was done at the factory.

Strong, well built boat.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

that thing is TOO COOL! love the natural finish and the "rope" motif steering wheel.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

The paint job is awesome!;)

Done001.jpg

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

She's beautiful..... Your wife SHOULD be jealous. :D I love the natural look - no makeup. It'll be fantastic when you finish it. Great signature.

I Love The Smell Of Aluminum In The Morning

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you backed the boat into the outside Patio Area. That has a liot of potential.

DragoonChris

Recruit

Looks like you backed the boat into the outside Patio Area. That has a liot of potential.

Yeah..That WAS My Backyard, Now A Workshop/Paint Shop/Welding Booth.

The 5 Day Exterior Restoration Began Today:

I Masked The Port And Freeboard Of The Bow For Paint This Afternoon, And Have The Masking Ready To Go On The Topside Of The Bow And Gunwales Tomorrow(Tuesday)(If I Get Off Work Early Enough).

Picking Up And 7' Piece Of Steel For The Trailer At Lunch Tomorrow To Extend The Draw Bar(I Think Thats A Trailer Term?!). Bringing The Boat Forward 5' So The Motor And Transom Sit Nearly Flush With The Axle And Rear Roller. (This Is A Wednesday Task)

Then The Boat Gets Dragged Off The Trailer Onto Dry And The Bunks Get Pushed Forward To Accommodate The Extension And Carpeted, One Additional Roller To Sit Under The Bow After The Forward Push. (Thursday Task)

Finish Masking The Starboard Side And Remove The Last Of The "Accessories" From The Gunwales And Windshield Frame That Have Been Added Over The Last 46 Years. (Thursday Task As Well)

FINALLY, Paint First Stage, Wait, Unmask, Remask, Paint Second Stage, Unmask, Remask, Paint Third Stage. Reattach "Brightwork" Removed For First Stage Painting. Attach New Mast To Trailer(Welder Finishes It Friday Afternoon), Winch Boat Back Onto Trailer. Curl Up And Sleep.

Saturday Afternoon, The Paint Will Be Dry And The Boat Will Be In The Water. Fishing With Father-In-Law For The Weekend, And Next Week, The 10 Day Interior Restoration Begins.

Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew? A Possibility. But I'm Rather Husky And Like To Eat, So We Shall See.

Cheers,

Chris

DragoonChris

Recruit

Oh, And On Top Of That; I Still Need To Polish The Windshield, Rechrome The Cheats/Side Steps, Re-Vinyl The Dash, Wrap The Steering Wheel, Install The Depth Finder, Install The Radio, Rewire The Running Lights, Recable The Steering, And Finally Repaint The Motor After An Unnecessary, But Never Harmful Overhaul Of The Plugs/Wires/Starter/Alternator And Fluids...

What Was That I Was Saying About Bitting Of More Than I Can Chew...err...Maybe

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I trust the 1 week interior job is full days and half the night time. I sure had shorter time visions when I stripped and totaly rebuilt my 16 SS . However wher can you buy a NEW 16 ft Bow rider type of boat for 1600. Are projects are well worth there cost and you can beech them.

gaffer1950

Cadet

The paint job is awesome!;)

Done001.jpg
[/QUOTE

I noticed you replaced the windshield. I really like the new look. I just purchased a 1964 Starcraft Seamist myself that was an abandoned restoration project. Previous owner is relocating and couldn't take it with him. I am in need of a windshield for my boat and was wondering where you purchased the replacement windshield you installed. On a side note my boat came equipped with a 1965 West Bend 500. Checked compression today and it has 150 psi on both cylinders. Also has good strong spark. I plan on testing fuel pump tomorrow and inspecting and/or cleaning carburetor. I'm hoping the motor will be a keeper. Anyway getting back to the windshield any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

gaffer1950

Cadet

First let me apologize for placing a quote on the picture of your boat. This is the 1st time I have replied to a thread and it looks like I really messed up. Kindly forgive me.:blue:

I noticed you replaced the windshield. I really like the new look. I just purchased a 1964 Starcraft Seamist myself that was an abandoned restoration project. Previous owner is relocating and couldn't take it with him. I am in need of a windshield for my boat and was wondering where you purchased the replacement windshield you installed. On a side note my boat came equipped with a 1965 West Bend 500. Checked compression today and it has 150 psi on both cylinders. Also has good strong spark. I plan on testing fuel pump tomorrow and inspecting and/or cleaning carburetor. I'm hoping the motor will be a keeper. Anyway getting back to the windshield any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.:joyous:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Gaffer, start a thread on your SeaMist and you'll likely get all the help you'll need.

Reviving a 3yr old thread to discuss your project is one of the reasons there was a big red banner at the bottom of your browser window stating that this was an over 90day old thread & to not post to it.

If you want to start a thread on the West Bend 500, you might find you get more help starting it in the correct outboard motor forum.

Welcome back to iboats, and when you start those threads, post up some pix of what you got to work w/.