Help to identify old Starcraft.

larryhood

Cadet
I just acquired an old Starcraft and need help in identifying information about it. It is a 14' closed bow, fiberglass runabout. Serial #INZ021287053.
My plan was to strip it, paint it and use it as landscape decoration at a lake house. I have a feeling that this boat may be rare and would like to know more about it. I have attached a few pictures
Thanks in advance for any help.

Boat 001.jpg Boat 002.jpg

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help to identify old Starcraft.

That is actually a cool looking boat - Someone here knows!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the Starcraft club:)

Telling us you will be using that beautiful rig as a landscaping enhancement isn't exactly what we like to hear but nice boat:)

There's a link in my signature to the Starcraft brochures, take a look and you might be able to get a positive ID on the year/model.

larryhood

Cadet

I have looked and looked for years for the right small runabout for that purpose. Now that I have found what I thought was the perfect one, maybe I need to reconsider it's future.
Thanks for the input.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looks like all it needs is motor and she's ready for a ride! Cool boat, don't make it flower pot. That boat belongs back on the water. You 'll be the better man for it.:D

larryhood

Cadet

I have decided to do a partial restoration on this boat and get it water ready.
I would like to know more about this boat. Can anyone help?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really can't help you too much but I am willing to trade you straight up for one of these...

On a serious note, fix her up! She deserves to be seaworthy again!

Cheers!

Attachments

• flowerpot_empty.jpg
    flowerpot_empty.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1

larryhood

Cadet

JASOUTSIDE...I HAVE decided to partially restore the boat. As a brand new member of this forum I have quickly discovered that there are smart *****e$ here also.
No, I don't want to trade you my Starcraft for your flower pot!!!...but I'm sure that some of your dumb***** buddies got a chuckle out of your response.
I simply asked for any information about this old 14' fiberglass runabout.
Clear.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Me thinks larryhood needs a attitude adjustment. Needs to realize cute comment was not a insult at all. HERE

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

JASOUTSIDE...I HAVE decided to partially restore the boat. As a brand new member of this forum I have quickly discovered that there are smart *****e$ here also.
No, I don't want to trade you my Starcraft for your flower pot!!!...but I'm sure that some of your dumb***** buddies got a chuckle out of your response.
I simply asked for any information about this old 14' fiberglass runabout.
Clear.

I was just messing around with ya larryhood, sarcastic comment is all. I believe I even wrote "on a serious note" to make sure that you knew I was just kidding with you. I actually saw that you had posted plans to do some sort of restoration so I thought I'd have some fun. That is what I love about this whole boating/fishing stuff, it's all about the simple matter of having good clean fun.

Please accept my apologies and all the best on your project.

North Beach

Commander

Larry, take a pill. We're really not looking for lots of attitude here. And most of his dumba....ed buddies would be the ones trying to help you figure out what you have.

larryhood

Cadet

Has any forum member seen or have information about this boat?
Thanks.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Be patient sometimes these things take a little time. There are a couple of guys here that know more than most about Starcrafts.

Let's start with the obvious and the easiest first.
a) Check your title
b) look here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830
c) Call Starcraft; Starcraft Direct: 1-574-831-2103
d) www.FiberGlassics.com

I would put it circa 1958-1962 based on how it looks. Very similar to a Larson of that era. I'm just guessing though. Very cool boat.

North Beach

Commander

Larry, I don't really know when starcraft started making glass boats. My brochures go back as far as 64 and that boat isn't in any of my stuff. We've seen a couple of 4-6 page brochures from the 50's that show only metal boats.

I can say that any glass starcraft boat i've ever seen was lapstrake fiberglass giving it that wood hull look.

As far as I can tell, the only thing about this boat that even resembles any starcraft boat I've seen is the emblem. Is it possible this boat is something else and someone added the emblem?

larryhood

Cadet

Bawana Don...
Thanks for the follow up.
I do not have a title.
After your comment about this boat maybe being a Larson, I carefully inspected the "Starcraft" emblems and discovered what looks like the name "Larson" barely visable near the starboard side emblem. It looks like vinyl or painted lettering that may have been painted over.
I am not good at posting pictures but I am going to try to get some additional shots to post.
Maybe the serial number holds the secret?
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

chamm63

Cadet

it sure looks close to this boat to me a 1957 Larson pla-boy
Larsonb57002.jpg

i really don't think its a starcraft

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

From the Starcraft site

# 1903 ? Star Tank Company founded by Arthur E. Schrock. Company produced stock tanks, hog feeders, waterers and other metal farm equipment to market regionally. When demand declined, the company used its metal manufacturing expertise to produce boats.
# 1920?s ? Star Tank & Boat Company firmly established as a boat maker, primarily manufacturing boats of galvanized steel. They made its first aluminum boat shortly after World War II, positioning Starcraft to become the world?s leading aluminum boat manufacturer.
# 1956 ? Star Tank & Boat Company develops its first fiberglass boat.
# 1964 ? Star Tank & Boat Company enters the RV industry with the introduction of campers.
# 1977 ? Starcraft Tank & Boat Company becomes the first company to make luxury customized van conversions, originated the luxury automotive conversion market.
# 1990 ? Starcraft Tank & Boat Company restructures, selling its RV division to Jayco RV and its boat division to Brunswick Corporation.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I love the old boats of the 50's. Larson is one of my favorites too. I thought that boat looked familiar.

I'm very interested in the full story behind this one. We'll probably never get it, but I'd love to know. Someone re badged this Larson as a Starcraft? Very interesting.

We have little information on the glass boats of the fifties, from Starcraft. That's too bad I'll bet their interesting boats.

I'll follow this thread to see where it ends up. Good luck in your search Larry. The more information you can get the closer we can get to the real answer. More pictures for sure!