• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1974 Starcraft 21ft Holiday OB questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1974 Starcraft 21ft Holiday OB questions

Hi there, new to the forum. recently bought back my 21 ft starcraft that i grew up in as a kid. Since i've owned it, the vinyl on the dash and also on the rear side panels has worn and deteriorated. My big question is. Can i find and replace this vinyl with the same color? the seaweed green, or whatever color it is. I've searched across many stores online and many only have the basic colors. has anybody else tried to do this? Im trying to restore the boat to its original condition. The condition it was in when i was just a little kid. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Re: 1974 Starcraft 21ft Holiday OB questions

Try a few busy upholistry shops that do boat tops and seats they always save whats left on a job.

Comment

Welcome to the club
      Sorry I don't have info for you.
      Another member may be along to assist.
      It may help to post a pic of your rig.

GLG
      2005 19' Duckworth 115 Yamaha
      1975 18' Starchief Volvo 130HP
      sigpic
      VP of Client Liason Field Operations

Comment

You could try replacing the vinyl with whatever you can find cheap, then painting with vinyl upholstery paint. I'm not sure what the color selection is on that stuff but maybe you could mix or tint it to get the right shade. Might be worth checking in to.

Comment

Its a 74 starcraft 21.5 ft holiday OB. came with a factory johnson 115. that is long gone. the last owner put a 70's 125 on the back of it. dont know if it is in running condition. I own a 80 switzercraft with an 88 175 blackmax. I plan on putting the blackmax on the back of my old boat and hopefully having a little fun.

This is the green that i'd like to replace. as you can see on the top of the dash it is worn on the corners. as a kid i never thought running my hand across that 25,000 times would wear it out.

[IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/elliottferrell
          /starcraft6.jpg[/IMG]

if anybody has any good advice, or any words of wisdom. please fill me in. thanks

Comment

Sweet Ride - I looked at a 22' Holiday wreck and bought a 18' Holiday wreck!

I have done exactly what you want to do ...twice. I got Morbern Marine Vinyl

http://www.morbern.com/marine.php

I got the red with the "weave look" and it looks awesome - they got your green.

I stripped the old vinyl off -cut an oversize pattern of vinyl. I used Scotch 77 Spray glue to hold the vinyl while I stapled (use SS staples). It is an easy job - you'll need two people because the panels are huge on the 18 -22 footers.
            sigpicClark
            "Bare Naked Lady" 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18 w/ 130 Merc + Alpha One Transplant I/O.
            My Resto Thread
            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....35#post2683135

Comment

o thats just great to see. your awesome. so the next question. looking at the sight. what color green do you think matches the best? i know that it's fadded in my boat on the top of the dash. but the side panels still have great color.

Comment

Welcome to the starcraft club elliott

Very cool that you managed to get the family rig back for restoration. I still hold out hope that I might find the rig I grew up on, a 20' Sea Nymph open bow. I'd love to have that thing back in the family.

I'm using nautolex marine vinyl, not sure if they have a color that would work.

Good Luck
                sigpic
                '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Originally posted by elliottferrell View Post
                  o thats just great to see. your awesome. so the next question. looking at the sight. what color green do you think matches the best? i know that it's fadded in my boat on the top of the dash. but the side panels still have great color.
                  Click on their website and find a retailer that sells their stuff - tough to get exact matches from the web...
                  sigpicClark
                  "Bare Naked Lady" 1968 Starcraft Holiday 18 w/ 130 Merc + Alpha One Transplant I/O.
                  My Resto Thread
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....35#post2683135

Comment

The Yorktown pale green might be the closest I saw in the exterior category

http://www.morbern.com/product_detail.php?swatchId=500
                    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....27#post2612027

Comment

Bringing back an old boat that you had as a kid, how awesome! Welcome dude!!!
                      1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
                      1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild
                      1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
                      1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
                      1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)
                      1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp
                      Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations

Comment

Beautiful boat Elliot. I can't say I would never do it, but are you really going to put a 175 hp Black Max on her? Talk about a tornado strapped to a washtub that would be an interesting ride. Don't think Starcraft had a 75mph boat in mind when they designed that. Good Luck, Dale

Some people say " They Can"
                        Some people say " They Can't"
                        They are both right.
                        18' SS for fshngho
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=417083

Comment

mjames76, i agree. i think that the yorktown green is a great match. i'd ordered a sample. hope to have it in the next week or so.

fshngo, im sure starcraftmanship was taking into consideration with this design. my dad used to call it the cadillac. I dont want to give up my blackmax motor. i know that it will be more that enough to ski/tub/wakeboard behind. I just want to go fast from 0-50. What kinda prop pitch are you guys running? I have a 22 or a 23 on the blackmax on the switzer. also have a the mercury highfive 5 blade prop that is a 21 pitch. Has anybody ever experimented with trim tabs? i know that this boat wont create a barge wake. but id like to see what i can do to make it flat as possible. although i am not a professional solemn skier. i do take it pretty serious.

Comment

im in a local snowmobiling club. Our motto is "hold the throttle till you see god, then hit the brakes" i wonder if this will hold true when i get this boat out in the good old mississippi.

Comment

Like I said Elliot, I would probably put the motor on too. I definately would not get rid of it. I would suggest you take it easy until you get the feel of it. And hope and pray the game warden or law dosen't check you, I'm pretty sure its not rated for that. You will need to be very confident of your transom too. I don't think I have read about anyone with a motor that size on theirs so you would have to experiment with your prop. I think there is a thread in OB section where a gentleman can tell you what to use if you give him the information. Forget the vinyl for now, you might blow off your paint. Dale

Some people say " They Can"
                              Some people say " They Can't"
                              They are both right.
                              18' SS for fshngho
                              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=417083

Comment

Working...
                              X