1974 Starcraft 21ft Holiday OB questions

Hi there, new to the forum. recently bought back my 21 ft starcraft that i grew up in as a kid. Since i've owned it, the vinyl on the dash and also on the rear side panels has worn and deteriorated. My big question is. Can i find and replace this vinyl with the same color? the seaweed green, or whatever color it is. I've searched across many stores online and many only have the basic colors. has anybody else tried to do this? Im trying to restore the boat to its original condition. The condition it was in when i was just a little kid. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 Starcraft 21ft Holiday OB questions

Try a few busy upholistry shops that do boat tops and seats they always save whats left on a job.

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the club
Sorry I don't have info for you.
Another member may be along to assist.
It may help to post a pic of your rig.

GLG

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could try replacing the vinyl with whatever you can find cheap, then painting with vinyl upholstery paint. I'm not sure what the color selection is on that stuff but maybe you could mix or tint it to get the right shade. Might be worth checking in to.

Its a 74 starcraft 21.5 ft holiday OB. came with a factory johnson 115. that is long gone. the last owner put a 70's 125 on the back of it. dont know if it is in running condition. I own a 80 switzercraft with an 88 175 blackmax. I plan on putting the blackmax on the back of my old boat and hopefully having a little fun.
starcraft1.jpg

This is the green that i'd like to replace. as you can see on the top of the dash it is worn on the corners. as a kid i never thought running my hand across that 25,000 times would wear it out.

starcraft2.jpg

starcraft4.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff168/elliottferrell
/starcraft6.jpg

if anybody has any good advice, or any words of wisdom. please fill me in. thanks

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet Ride - I looked at a 22' Holiday wreck and bought a 18' Holiday wreck!

I have done exactly what you want to do ...twice. I got Morbern Marine Vinyl

http://www.morbern.com/marine.php

I got the red with the "weave look" and it looks awesome - they got your green.

I stripped the old vinyl off -cut an oversize pattern of vinyl. I used Scotch 77 Spray glue to hold the vinyl while I stapled (use SS staples). It is an easy job - you'll need two people because the panels are huge on the 18 -22 footers.

o thats just great to see. your awesome. so the next question. looking at the sight. what color green do you think matches the best? i know that it's fadded in my boat on the top of the dash. but the side panels still have great color.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the starcraft club elliott:)

Very cool that you managed to get the family rig back for restoration. I still hold out hope that I might find the rig I grew up on, a 20' Sea Nymph open bow. I'd love to have that thing back in the family.

I'm using nautolex marine vinyl, not sure if they have a color that would work.

Good Luck:)

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

o thats just great to see. your awesome. so the next question. looking at the sight. what color green do you think matches the best? i know that it's fadded in my boat on the top of the dash. but the side panels still have great color.

Click on their website and find a retailer that sells their stuff - tough to get exact matches from the web...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bringing back an old boat that you had as a kid, how awesome! Welcome dude!!!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Beautiful boat Elliot. I can't say I would never do it, but are you really going to put a 175 hp Black Max on her? Talk about a tornado strapped to a washtub:eek: that would be an interesting ride. Don't think Starcraft had a 75mph boat in mind when they designed that.;) Good Luck, Dale

mjames76, i agree. i think that the yorktown green is a great match. i'd ordered a sample. hope to have it in the next week or so.

fshngo, im sure starcraftmanship was taking into consideration with this design. my dad used to call it the cadillac. I dont want to give up my blackmax motor. i know that it will be more that enough to ski/tub/wakeboard behind. I just want to go fast from 0-50. What kinda prop pitch are you guys running? I have a 22 or a 23 on the blackmax on the switzer. also have a the mercury highfive 5 blade prop that is a 21 pitch. Has anybody ever experimented with trim tabs? i know that this boat wont create a barge wake. but id like to see what i can do to make it flat as possible. although i am not a professional solemn skier. i do take it pretty serious.

im in a local snowmobiling club. Our motto is "hold the throttle till you see god, then hit the brakes" i wonder if this will hold true when i get this boat out in the good old mississippi.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Like I said Elliot, I would probably put the motor on too. :eek: I definately would not get rid of it. I would suggest you take it easy until you get the feel of it. And hope and pray the game warden or law dosen't check you, I'm pretty sure its not rated for that. You will need to be very confident of your transom too. I don't think I have read about anyone with a motor that size on theirs so you would have to experiment with your prop. I think there is a thread in OB section where a gentleman can tell you what to use if you give him the information. Forget the vinyl for now, you might blow off your paint.:D Dale

the plate next to the driver seat says. hp rating 170. 10 people or 2200 pounds.. im thinking i'll be ok. the 175 weighs roughly the same as the 150. the dnr are real pricks in my area of the water. got stopped at the dock twice last season.

also. the transom is perfect. i put a 1/4 peice of plate aluminum from one end to the other on the inside of the transom when i redid the floor. i pulled the motor up and down by hand and it seemed to be more than ridged. i couldn't move it to save my life...

so I started to tear into my old project this last Easter weekend. the steering on my old starcraft has seen better days. I'm willing to spend the extra money to get a system that is going to last the test of time. My question is? rack and pinion or hydraulic steering? and between the 2, dual cable? and what are some of the better kits. I've looked at the teleflex. but after the cable kit, plus the steering column kid and a steering wheel. i might have 6 or 7 hundred dollars in it. any comments would be great.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

so I started to tear into my old project this last Easter weekend. the steering on my old starcraft has seen better days. I'm willing to spend the extra money to get a system that is going to last the test of time. My question is? rack and pinion or hydraulic steering? and between the 2, dual cable? and what are some of the better kits. I've looked at the teleflex. but after the cable kit, plus the steering column kid and a steering wheel. i might have 6 or 7 hundred dollars in it. any comments would be great.

Teleflex is an easy swap....patrol ebay on a regular basis - if you know exactly what you need (length etc) you can probably pick up the pieces fopr 50-100 bucks!