Ezmobee's 1966 Jupiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've been looking and commenting on Rick's, Kevin's, Andy's and other's projects and all their great pictures so I figured I should add some of my own even though it's been "done" for a couple seasons. The pictures in my photobucket link weren't quite up to date so I tonight I took some new photos of the boat. I will backtrack some to start.

Here's what she looked like when I dragged her home 5 years ago for $200
DSCF0005.jpg

Floor was solid but wet, transom was reinforced but rotted, overall ugly
Before.jpg

We got the motor to start and run (albeit on only a couple cylinders) and that was good enough for us. My dad footed the large bill at the marine mechanic to "awaken" the '73 Johnson 85 and get it running. I think we replaced damn near every electronic part, carb kits, impeller, fuel pump etc. It was like 15 years of maintenance all at one time.

I footed the large bill from BassPro to buy all the interior parts I needed. I installed a new floor with 3/4" PT ply. Didn't know at the time about the problems with aluminum and PT. I haven't fallen through the floor yet.

09.jpg

Pretty basic plywood dash. Still with the cable steering system
F0004.jpg

I used 1/2" PT ply for the sides. The existing sides were barely intact enough to use as a template but I got it done.
F0007.jpg

Looks nice here but as many of you know I have come to hate this carpet. It wouldn't be so bad if I had reversed the colors and had gray on the floor. It's ALWAYS dirty.

We used it in this condition for the first year and had a great time with it. We were hooked on boating.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ezmobee's 1966 Jupiter

After the first successful season I decided to paint her. I also really lucked out on a replacement windshield. The existing one had a pretty large crack in it, the frame was bent and THEN a branch fell on it and pretty well totaled it.

boat2.jpg

I painted her with Rustoleum in rattle cans. Big mistake. I ended up buying so many darn cans that I probably could have paid someone to spray her for me. Plus all the other Starcraft guys have proven that rolling Rustoleum on looks great. My finish is ok but it's fairly matte.
boat1.jpg

The top sides are Rustoleum Metallics cleared with Rustoleum clear
boat3.jpg

DSCF1162.jpg

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That brings me to current pictures I took tonight. Last year I replaced the transom and put another coat of bedliner in my splash well. If you look closely at the picture you can see how I was able to use it for 3 years with a mulch transom....some previous owner reinforced the whole area with a 3/8" thick piece of angle iron bolted to the splash well all the way across with the motor bolted through it. That thing isn't going anywhere. The big impetus to me finally replacing the transom was because all the bolts going through the mulch leaked so bad.
DSCF1925.jpg

This is my awesome swim ladder. I think it was custom made by a previous owner from a standard step ladder. Looks kinda lame when it's stowed but the first time you fold it down and use it to climb into the boat you'll understand why I kept it. It works great.
DSCF1926.jpg

Here's my dash as it is today. I replaced the steering with a Teleflex rack system. I replaced my own piece of plywood with a PVC trim board from Lowes. This stuff was fantastic to work with and will never rot. My storage bin, cup holders, and cell phone holder are all very handy and are used on ever trip. Note the 12V power outlet between the gauges and my 12 gallon tank mounted under the bow using cooler mounting brackets. The boat came with a copper fuel line running the length of the boat that I am using but the tank was missing.
DSCF1927.jpg

This year was all about the trailer. I bought a used trailer in similar condition to my existing trailer for $75 on Craigslist. I stripped it down completely and painted it and had the bearings professionally repacked. I still need fenders. This trailer loads much easier than my old one. I sold my old trailer last week for $100. (don't congratulate me yet. I spent a fortune on brackets and what not for this "new" trailer)
DSCF1923.jpg

Here's the old Johnson that's been running great for 5 seasons since getting it fixed back up. I painted the hood and installed new decals 2 years ago.
DSCF1929.jpg

Rest of my pictures here: http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/

Last edited:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

EZ..
You did a great job with that boat..You know I plan on stealing that metal flake color and yes thanks for the tip on the clear...

You know you could roll some rusty on her in one good sunny day..Any thoughts of touching her up or getting rid of the carpet and doing the shake n bak on the deck?

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ I have to be carefull here not to give you a case of expanded head but I have always liked your boat the windshield just makes her perfect in fact Honestly I have your boat as a screensaver . The shot where she is anchored on the beach right about dusk :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. Kev I do plan on redoing the white using a brush and roller at some point in the future. I will probably also rip out the carpet one of these days. I still have darn near a full can of porch and floor paint from doing my transom board! The season's project was definitely the trailer and that darn near killed me. I learned a valuable lesson. If you're going to buy a trailer....buy one at least sorta set up for your type of boat. The one I got was orginially set up for a flat bottom. By the time I got done buying all new brackets, bunks, and rollers....I probably could have bought a halfway decent galvanized trailer from somebody.

Rick, that shot is my favorite also. It was taken on a great evening fishing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I also just wanted to share my excitement. In a little over 2 weeks we're going to be making our annual pilgrimage to Ocean City, MD. We're going to be staying in the same condo we stayed in last year. It's on the bay side, on the third floor overlooking a canal. And this year, for the first time ever...I'm TAKING THE BOAT!!!!

The pier you see in the distance in the center of the pic is the bay
DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1412.jpg

It's going to look delightfully out of place I think
DSCF1383.jpg

I grew up going to the beach and going out on a family friend's pontoon boat every year. When he got older and sold his boat there was just something missing about our vacation. I can't wait to hopefully be able to use my boat every day for a week.

Rickairmedic

Commander

EZ that sounds and looks awesome . My next vacation will be our little group get together next summer and that will be the first semi real vacation in yers :D. I agree your boat will stick out there it will be the Kewlest boat in the marina and all the Staunchy upity pro maintained boats will envy you for having such a kewl ride and even more so when they find out you did it yourself not the boat shop :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

i think i might try the pvc trim like you used... im actually thinking about not vinyling the dash yet to do the pvc. i may just ride out the rest of the season with an unfinished dash...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey EZ that will be one perfect vacation with your Jupiter:D I'm sure you'll be getting some gazes of admiration from the folks in the cookie-cutter 'glass rigs:p

Great job on the restoration and thanks for posting the pics. That cowling looks amazing after the repainting and decals!

I also truly appreciate the ladder earning its place for pure practicality...being 6'5" myself I know that has to be convenient:)

What is your top speed with the 85? My dad used to run a '86 Johnson 90 on a 20' Sea Nymph aluminum and we'd get up to 35:D Great for skiing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Huron Angler. Right now my top speed is about 35. I'm pretty sure I could use some work on my set up though. I'm not hitting my target WOT RPM (only hitting about 5000 on a good day) and my motor could probably be raised a hole or two.

LonneyB

Cadet

Wow what a great thread ...What was the windshield out of?....because it looks DEADLY!!....I am Flaking the deck of mine as well.....nice job on the interior...my 73 American is going to be a custom version as well hahaha!! once again great job!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks man. I think the windshield is off a Larson bowrider of some sort. A guy was parting it out on eBay. Got the whole thing shipped to me for $70. I agree, it makes the boat.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks man. I think the windshield is off a Larson bowrider of some sort. A guy was parting it out on eBay. Got the whole thing shipped to me for $70. I agree, it makes the boat.

You know, I absolutely HATED my windshield and removed it. I like the added usefullness of the bow area now. I haven't decided whay to do with the windshield yet. It IS in pretty good shape, but I think they are better suited to open bow designs.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You know, I absolutely HATED my windshield and removed it. I like the added usefullness of the bow area now. I haven't decided whay to do with the windshield yet. It IS in pretty good shape, but I think they are better suited to open bow designs.

Make sure you don't just scrap it. Someone somewhere will probably want it!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Make sure you don't just scrap it. Someone somewhere will probably want it!

LOL yep especially if you put it on evilbay and list it as RARE VINTAGE Shelby Starcraft windshield :D . The Shelby always makes it worth more :D.

Rick

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

You know if you didn't do such a great job{all around especially that dash}, I wouldn't of had to rethink my layout....BillyBass is gone, maybe he'll see you on vacation :D...Very impressive work EZ!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

EZ
how'd that Ocean City Maryland trip go?:)
Super sweet condo rental, was it pricey? My wife used to go there as a kid and loved vacationing there (Ocean City) One day I would like to taker her and the kids there.
got any new pics of OC?

Hope you had a great time there!

ps Have you had any time to work on the Jupiter?:p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Trip was great! Read my write up in the link below in my signature :)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Trip was great! Read my write up in the link below in my signature :)

Will check it out now

Hey my wife is from HAZELTON, PA
Go Penn State! I would say go Penguins but hey I kinda feel like the Redwings got robbed by the refs a bit in the playoffs, call me a sore loser :):D

Status
Not open for further replies.