1967 14' Starcraft Alum Boat Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepsterjim

Cadet
Hello Starcraft owners
I have a '67 14' aluminum starcraft fishing boat but I do not know what model it is since it does not have a VIN tag.

Here's what I know:

3 full bench seat
each seat has in-cased styrafoam block for floatation
boat is designed for OB motor
three transom braces
63 1/2" beam
Sorry I do not have pics of it.
I would like to know the specs of this boat AND how large of a motor can I safely use. The new 4 stroke motors are heavier then the old 2 strokes, so what size or weight can this boat SAFELY use?

I emailed starcraft and they would not even write back to me.

Your help is needed...THANKS

Last edited:

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 1967 14' Starcraft Alum Boat Help

Jim I am not sure myself but will see if I can wrangle up Bob-VT as I am pretty sure he has the same basic boat as you . I do know the Jonboat styled Starcrafts were not rated for very big motors probably 25 horse in your case.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim heres a page from the 62 brochure on the seascamp which would be the same size and number of seats as your boat and it says max horsepower is 1-15:eek:.

1962seascampStarcrft14.jpg
[/IMG]

Rick

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

Rick....thanks

the sea scamp is very close to what I have. The beam width on mine is a little wider and the transon on the sea scamp appears to be flat accross the top where as mine tappers down on both sides and is flat in the middle for the motor. It's still a mystery LOL

This boat came from the Salton Sea

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim I will see what I can do on a 67 Brochure :D. maybe I can get closer . That was a quicky last night and got me in the range of your boat :D. Feel free to pop down to the restoration area theres a pile of us starcrafters down there pulling our hair out :D.

Rick

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

looking over a few starcraft sites, my boat might be 14V Jon boat. However with that said, NONE of the pics I looked over showed enough to truly verify what model it is. I'm trying to have pics taken of it and then post them. May be that will help out.:)

North Beach

Commander

Jim, if it really is a 67, it's gotta be one of these. most likely the Seafarer, but I thought I'd throw in the Mariner since it also is 14' with a 65" beam. Hope this helps!

0012-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thanks NB I knowed you would come back from vacation and help me out on all these identities :D.

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL I use the Yahoo site quite a bit but they are missing quite a few years :D . Whenever you get bored ( like thats gonna happen soon ) ya need to get the rest of those brochures up over at the other Strcraft site where you put the 64 brochure :D. Oh yeah and update your pics over there your bot looks terrible over there :D.

Rick

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

that does look like my boat----where it says seafarer, to the right of it----it shows a pic of what the back boat bottom configeration is, that looks just like mine as well. so this model was designed for salt water use? may be that's why it was purchased for the Salton Sea....a very salty sea. Still trying to post pics

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

any more pics of the inside would really be great!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim check the first three threads here for picture posting

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

I will tell you if you want to put your pictures in with your text and not thumbnails then Photobucket seems to be the easiest and prefered hosting site to put your pictures on and its FREE :D.

Also be sure to start a restoration thread down in the restoration area on the main page of the site . Theres alot of us hanging down there all the time :D.

Also also :D make sure you take a look at the 2010 get together thread here in the Starcraft section as we are planning things now for a Starcraft get together next summer tentatively in Virginia and towards the end of June right now.

Rick

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

thanks sooooo much for the help guys! I uploaded pics at photobucket so you can now see the boat. It does look like a Seafarer model boat. What do you all think? I installed new wood bench seats, then after-market seats. I then installed a new flat floor in the boat--lots of work to do. Installed 4 Scottys rod holders plus a pole holder at the rear of the boat. Up front I put a gear rod holder. Even made up my own extra large cup holders.

CLICK HERE http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/jeepsterjim/

Rickairmedic

Commander

Jim you've done a greaat job so far looks like a nice little fishing boat . Be sure to check out the 2010 get together thread in this forum and see if you want to join us next June for a little boating :D.

Rick

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

Hi Rick

Would like to go to the upcoming starcraft gathering, however, I live out here in the foothills near Sacramento CA. That's a long ways to tow a rowboat LOL.

Jeepsterjim

Cadet

NB

Thank you for posting the brochere (sp) pics. By looking at the pics, it appears that my boat is a Sea Farer. wonder how sea worthy of a craft it is?

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this is an older thread, but I have the same model that I purchased in the Spring. The seller advertised it as a 1964 Starcraft 14' but it was missing the HID/capacity plate. It was in good shape so I bought it. I then did some research into what model and I discovered it was a Seafarer.
I don't believe it is a 1964 as mine has 3 braces on the transom like yours and from what I can see on the 1964 brochures, those only have 1 brace.
I'm not sure what year Starcraft began putting 3 braces on but it was either '66 or '67.
From what I can tell, the horsepower capacity is either 30 or 40. It came with a '57 18hp Evinrude which moves it along pretty good.
I have had it out on the ocean quite a few times this summer and it handles moderate seas pretty well.

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Starcraft 1.jpg
    Starcraft 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 5
  • Starcraft 2.jpg
    Starcraft 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 5

bananaboater

Ensign

I think you have it backwards. My understanding of the transom knees is that the 3 pieces predated one. So yours is likely pre 1964, that is about when SC reduced the number.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, looking at the brochures, which is all I have to reference, I see an interior shot of the Seafarer only in the '62 brochure and that has 3 braces. In the '67 brochure, the interior view of the Sea Scamp, which is the shorter gunnwale 14' open aluminum, has 3 braces.

What do you base your facts on?

Status
Not open for further replies.