1978 16ft Super Sport

MNhunter1

Ensign
Starting a new thread for the rebuild of the inherited 1978 16SS I picked up from crkranz a while back. Here is a link to the thread he had on iboats prior to me taking it off his hands: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne.../starcraft-boats/641794-starcraft-ss160-resto

Hull was already painted and new floor installed. New sealed transom, not yet installed. I just stripped off the gunnels, drilled out the transom holes, and laid down some paint on the new transom. Plan to cover both the floor and gunnels with Nautolux and replace the front seating with a full casting deck.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glad to see one of the abandoned projects taken back up, there's way too many of them. That 3 cyl 70 Johnny is an awesome motor for a 16'r.

She'll make for a great little fishing boat :thumb:

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello MNHunter,

Are those deck boards 1/2' or 3/4'?

MNhunter1

Ensign
Hello MNHunter,

Are those deck boards 1/2' or 3/4'?

It's 1/2" with doublers at the pedestal mounts. The floor was already installed when I received it. I was tempted to pull it up and replace the new styro with some pink or blue, but as it's already installed, appears to have been done correctly, and the styro was the same stuff they used as stock, I figured I'd leave it alone. Coat-It was used in place of Gluvit on all the rivets, but my google-fu tells me it's pretty much the same stuff/serves the same purpose.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Splashwell screws... Looking through my old receipts from the Nova rebuild, I can't seem to located what size splashwell screws I used for attaching to the transom. My best guess is #12 x 1-1/4" stainless. Sound about right?

Watermann

My V5 SS SW used 1/4" x 2" machine screws, they go all the way through the 1.5" thick transom wood too. Yours have the 30+ wood screws on the inside? I would imagine the factory used #10 x 1".

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty sure I used #10s as well. I predrilled then coated mine in 4200 before driving them in. Maybe overkill but I really want this transom to last.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used #10x1" for mine, that is what I removed from factory original, so that is what I put back in.

MNhunter1

Ensign
How did you get your old transom out?

I had the gunnels and splashwell completely removed, as well as all the hardware going through the transom. Squeezed a couple ratchet straps through the splashwell drain holes and up and over the kids swingset cross member for the Nova, and just to a ladder on the 16SS. You can raise the trailer winch to lower the stern, and a 210lb man stepping on the floor near the transom should break it free. Just ensure all hardware is out and the straps are brought up in between the transom and transom skin as to not include the skin. I see you have some posts I need to catch up on, so you may have sorted all this out already.

Randyhutch10

Seaman Apprentice
Ha you and I apparently think alike. I did something very similar. Thanks for the help.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Time to bring this thread back to life. Just completed grad school last week and the kids wrestling season is wrapping up, so I now have some time on my hands. I'll try to get some pictures posted, but the recent work hasn't really been much for exciting visuals.

Recent work:
Removed gunnels to clean up and replace with all new rivets.
Replaced all bow supports with new sealed wood
Installed transom with all new hardware, drain tubes, and 5200
Installed new bilge pump hull fitting.

Next steps:
Install carpet on side shelves and hull side (inside shelves and exposed areas in bow)
Reinstall gunnels and cover with Nautolex
Install Nautolex flooring
Paint and install splashwell
Mock up consoles for bow casting deck fitment and other associated wood replacement needs.

Question on splashwell:

The splashwell rivets were removed and it is currently separated into two sections. Can these two section be reattached with closed end blinds and 5200, or is the structural component enough to require solids? Sorry, no picture available, but this is referring to the seam that runs port/starboard where the two major sections of the splashwell connect.

Thanks!
Jason

Watermann

I replaced all the solid rivets in my SW with new solids, even where they attach to the top of the gunnels. If they come with solids it's always best to replace them with the same.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Finished laying the carpet down and got started on reattaching the gunnels, which will eventually get covered in Nautolux.

Attachments

• photo285829.jpg
    photo285829.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

MNhunter1

Ensign
So, anyone know what length steering cable is the appropriate fit for a 16SS? Need to order a new rotary helm/through tilt tube set-up and want to make sure I get the right length. I've seen the instructions for measuring, but figured someone here might have some real world experience with what fits and what doesn't.

Thanks!

Watermann

I used the instructions from SeaStar when I got their new 4.2 NFB rotary helm set up and everything went in perfect.